Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drafting Over Zoom

Hey guys,

Question for you guys about using Zoom or other video software for the drafts. Have any of you ran into a situation where a handful of owners (who have been vaccinated) want to get together in the same room and draft through Zoom? They would all be on their own computers but I worry that is will create feedback echoing problems. More importantly, my concern is that one of these owners is the owner that always does the auctioneering and I think he'll hear a bid from someone in the room before the other people creating an unfair advantage to those people. I told them that they can't do this

What do you guys think? Am I being unreasonable? Anyone else have this situation?
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

In my experience, you're dead right. You can mitigate the feedback issue by a central mic, and having everyone else mute theirs. But your point about hearing bids is dead on - the owners in the room will not have the lag time the remote owners will, and I don't know a good strategy to mitigate that problem.

If the auctioneer was remote, and a group wanted to get together, then I'd think that would work.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

We're doing a zoom draft but also using draft software.... idea is to get best of both, you get the trash talking and ability to say "hey wait we need to pause this", but you also have everyone on the same software for an even playing field.

Comment

We did a Zoom draft last season and it actually worked out great.

Comment

My auction football league has had some people draft by phone/Skype/Zoom for many years. Our practice has been if there’s a tie between someone on in the room and someone remote, it goes to the remote person. And whoever is auctioning (me if I’m not bidding) knows not to sell too fast.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            We're doing a zoom draft but also using draft software.... idea is to get best of both, you get the trash talking and ability to say "hey wait we need to pause this", but you also have everyone on the same software for an even playing field.
            Luddite Lucky here...does that mean we need two screens set up to run our auction?
            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              In my experience, you're dead right. You can mitigate the feedback issue by a central mic, and having everyone else mute theirs. But your point about hearing bids is dead on - the owners in the room will not have the lag time the remote owners will, and I don't know a good strategy to mitigate that problem.

If the auctioneer was remote, and a group wanted to get together, then I'd think that would work.
              I'm not sure that the owners who will be in a room together are savvy enough to have a central mic and remember to mute themselves. We could do Erik's suggestion that we always default to the remote owners, but that's going to be the vast majority of the owners. So maybe, if it's just a few owners it won't be an issue but I feel like we already have a number of issues (some guy last year had a terrible mic that would echo like crazy and make clicking noises) I don't want to add another one.

Originally posted by revo View Post
              We did a Zoom draft last season and it actually worked out great.
              We did Zoom drafts last year. It was fine. One issue we had is it felt like we had to do the draft twice as we have a few owners that can't seem to pay attention and are always asking who won the last player and how much. It can really be annoying. I enter the player, dollar amount and owner in the chat room and they still ask.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                Luddite Lucky here...does that mean we need two screens set up to run our auction?
                Probably so if you will be on the zoom call. One of them could be your phone though, that's likely what I'll be doing.

Comment

Probably so if you will be on the zoom call. One of them could be your phone though, that's likely what I'll be doing.
                  We had one guy on the phone and there seemed to be a lag for him compared to everyone else. Could cause you not to get your bids in in time. Just something to think about.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                    We had one guy on the phone and there seemed to be a lag for him compared to everyone else. Could cause you not to get your bids in in time. Just something to think about.
                    See above, the zoom call is for trash talk and "help!", we're using software of some kind (TBD what specifically)

Comment

See above, the zoom call is for trash talk and "help!", we're using software of some kind (TBD what specifically)
                      Ah, ok.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I've actually been wondering about this. So many people are getting used to Zoom (or whatever platform). But I definitely think it's on top of whatever draft room software you use (for us, CBS). It would bring back some of the live camaraderie that we had back-in-the-day (we haven't done a live auction in 25 years!).
                        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                          I've actually been wondering about this. So many people are getting used to Zoom (or whatever platform). But I definitely think it's on top of whatever draft room software you use (for us, CBS). It would bring back some of the live camaraderie that we had back-in-the-day (we haven't done a live auction in 25 years!).
                          That’s the bottom line. If you’re all using CBS or equivalent for the auction, you’ll be on even footing.

Comment

I've been contemplating the pros/cons of using the CBS online auction format. I'd prefer to do a straight zoom style auction.

In our normal format, we sit in a predetermined order based on standings, and go around the circle when a player has been nominated. I.e., if a guy is brought up for $4, the guy next to him has the first opportunity to bid $5, and so on. Another feature of our style is, once you decline an opportunity to bid a player up, you are out for that player. You can see where this format can have a huge effect on draft strategy, particular in the end game when money is tight.

I havent yet come upon a means of retaining this format that I think will be effective, both in keeping the order, and in tracking who is in or out on a player, over the zoom style format. We all kind of police that last part in a live draft.

I'm leery of using the CBS auction as it seems a bit fast paced, and kind of a free for all. It would alter the dynamics of a league that's been doing it this way for 25+ years. We may have to go that route, though.
                            One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

Originally posted by cool hand View Post
                              I've been contemplating the pros/cons of using the CBS online auction format. I'd prefer to do a straight zoom style auction.

In our normal format, we sit in a predetermined order based on standings, and go around the circle when a player has been nominated. I.e., if a guy is brought up for $4, the guy next to him has the first opportunity to bid $5, and so on. Another feature of our style is, once you decline an opportunity to bid a player up, you are out for that player. You can see where this format can have a huge effect on draft strategy, particular in the end game when money is tight.

I havent yet come upon a means of retaining this format that I think will be effective, both in keeping the order, and in tracking who is in or out on a player, over the zoom style format. We all kind of police that last part in a live draft.

I'm leery of using the CBS auction as it seems a bit fast paced, and kind of a free for all. It would alter the dynamics of a league that's been doing it this way for 25+ years. We may have to go that route, though.
                              When is your draft?

Comment

Working...
                              X