Life is a collection of moments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Personally, I wanna see the ice caps melt completely before I die, see capitalism fall under the weight of climate disaster, and aliens to reveal their presence. I would wish to live to 117 and a few days to see 2100, but I think all of the things I'm waiting for will happen before then. Pretty sure the world will end before I hit 100+, but I'll stick around as long as I can to verify.

I honestly just needed to get this off my chest.
    I want to live to see advances in science that answer some of the universes mysteries; and might help answer our place in the cosmos. and I do enjoy life. I like when I can be beautiful and appreciate animal companionship while listening to easy-listening music.

also, dire predictions about our fate have been told since the beginning. most haven't come true. overpopulation, food shortages, and armies of extradimensional giant staypuff marshmallow men attacking NY. yet, some predictions appear to be coming true. warming, environmental problems, a pandemic.

I think an understated threat is loss of fertility from everyday chemicals in the environment, endocrine disruptors. (I do wonder if they have a role in gender identities. it makes sense that they might. but it's also natural) but I think I see loss of fertility as the biggest threat to mankind. because everything is built on the idea of perpetual growth. the answer to everything is more. both red and blue states need more babies or future voters, business needs cheap labor and more competition for jobs, old people need young people to pay for their healthcare and benefits, militaries need soldiers. different religions need more members. different countries need more citizens. it's a house of cards having one common need, more people.

but I am bothered by this view. it feels distorted. if you go further with it I would be saying each group wants more people for their group but not others or the competition. that would be like saying red states want to have more people and want blue states to have less or visversa. or America wants a higher birth rate but wants a competing country to have less. and that logic really doesn't add up. conservatives want to stop abortion everywhere not just in red states. or birth control. same with aid to developing countries tied to reproductive conditions, no-one's trying to lower anyones birthrates.

and automation. pretty soon war will be fought by robots or artificial intelligence or already with cyber warfare. you don't really need more people for that. automating jobs, again, no need for more people. so my logic doesn't add up. but falling birth rates is a dual threat. unfettered capitalism leads to increasing inequality which causes people to choose to have less children and forever chemicals in the environment everywhere in every person is dramatically lowering fertility. at the current pace it will be 0 well before the year 2100.

Comment

earth is just a tiny planet in a vastly oversized universe that beckons to populated and explored. there's plenty of room for everyone. but there is also a time limit to accomplish it due to the expansion of space. it would be a shame if we didn't make it. I still don't understand why the universe is so big and it's expansion so fast.

here's an example of a science discovery that would mean something to me. recently some guy proposed that black holes aren't really holes. there's no singularity, no endpoint in space. the matter is instead compressed to the planck limit. what is that 10 to the minus 33? which would allow some matter to escape and be so red shifted that it would be virtually invisible. and account for the missing matter or dark matter or what makes up 95% of the matter in the universe.

it makes sense right? a simple answer. occam's razor. I've always said, why wouldn't dark matter be connected to black holes. both are dark, and black holes are the strongest gravitational forces in nature.

also, just the other day I was thinking, a hole in space would look weird, like space was alive. and when you include time travel, or space going backwards, or dimensions that contain the past like memories in a brain.

ps. the reason you become less intelligent the more you drive is because when you drive a car you are in a hurry to get somewhere. thus, you don't have time to think. I learned this at car rental agencies.

Comment

Working...
      X