5x5 Move to IP instead of Wins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5x5 Move to IP instead of Wins?

We are thinking of converting a category in our 5x5 leagues from Wins to IP. Would like your thoughts on it.

Seems to me a smart play. W+QS is good, but still subject to the reality of the game today (fewer SP going 6 IP). By making it IP, you have to balance quality (whip/era) and quantity (IP). And it would let us drop the annoying IP minimum — that seems more and more difficult for teams to reach every year.

Has anyone done this? Any reason not to?

I've been a proponent of IP over wins for a while, for essentially the reasons you mention. Tout Wars started a new league this year with IP instead of wins and saves+holds instead of save.
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Thanks Todd. Appreciate the response. Hope you’re doing well and staying healthy.

Comment

I'm curious to see how the new league plays out as I'd love convert local leagues to IP & Solds vs Wins & Saves.

Even in Tout & LABR 15-team mixed leagues last year, ~40% of saves were not actively rostered in 2020.

Comment

Jason, I think our league may implement this change — but for the 2022 season. Funny thing is I expect a strike in 2022, so who knows? I’m going all-in for this year. Carpe Diem.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
            We are thinking of converting a category in our 5x5 leagues from Wins to IP. Would like your thoughts on it.

Seems to me a smart play. W+QS is good, but still subject to the reality of the game today (fewer SP going 6 IP). By making it IP, you have to balance quality (whip/era) and quantity (IP). And it would let us drop the annoying IP minimum — that seems more and more difficult for teams to reach every year.

Has anyone done this? Any reason not to?
            Depends on the league parameters. There is one danger to doing it. My main league (16 tm mixed, weekly moves) used to have IP instead of K's. Whether this is a problem depends on whether you like cheeky strategies. A team with a weak keeper list went into auction one year, bought enough closers to be top third in saves, spent everything else getting a good offense, and then got a bunch of $1 meatball starting pitchers. Then he made almost his entire bench be SP's. Even in a weekly league, he had 5 SP's with two starts every week. Left him with 100+ more starts than everyone else, and he finished in the top half in pitching (won IP easily, did decently in wins, good in saves, last in ERA and WHIP) and great in hitting. Never a threat to win the league, but it was a paint by numbers method of getting a money finish.

With IP instead of Wins, that would be even easier. And daily moves would make it more or less a joke. On the other hand, it isn't much of a worry if it is like a 12-team only league---there wouldn't be enough meatball $1 starters to pull it off. Also wouldn't be as big of a worry in a straight draft league---it is harder to get the offense and saves needed; it can be tried, but it would be a lot easier in an auction. And then, maybe nobody worries about this and likes the strategizing. But it is something that could happen.

Comment

Hmm. Yes, 12 team only. And no bench. Only roster changes are weekly FAAB and call ups (also done weekly). So you can’t game it that particular way.

Comment

How does IP compare to QS as an alternative to W?

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                X