Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switching to Saves+ holds instead of saves what to expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to Saves+ holds instead of saves what to expect?

Hey gang

My 10 team 5x5 AL only league is switching from Saves to Saves+ holds. I have never had this category before so I feel like I am playing catch up and would like some input. I figure closers costs go down, more MR are now not only rosterable but valuable. The other caveat is we have a 1k innings minimum so I cannot just punt wins and load up on RP. I figure RP with high K numbers see an uptick in cost. In a normal year With more RP I figure I will want to stay away from SP that are likely to have blowup starts even more than I normally would (See below for Bundy and Means). So could this mean maybe what would be my last SP actually be better of getting a long man who should be in line for vulture wins? I know some MLB teams are pondering a six man rotation.

Since I have to meet 1K innings and it appears most projections do not favor many SP to get 175 much less two hundred innings I figure I have to have at lease 5 SP and maybe six depending on which SP I am able to get. I might try to have 4 SP and 5 RP in a normal year. This would give me better era & Whip, less wins and maybe a drop in K's depending on the RP I can get. This year can I conceivably make 1K innings with 5 SP and 4 RP? Right now SP wise I have Beiber who is a topper and Uriquidy for $1. I could keep a $3 Means and $13 Bundy though I fear their volatility. For RP I have Taylor Rogers $1 and toppers on LeClerc and Diego Castillo.

Any thoughts on roster construction, who or what types of SP/RP to target or avoid? Any guys to target/avoid? It's alive auction so how could the new category affect the auction? in general do owners tend to wait on pitching and focus on hitters because there is more pitching available than in years past? Since we have more RP are dollars days a good way to fill my bullpen?

TIA
    Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
    Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

paging Teenwolf....paging Teenwolf. Please pick up the Baseball Forum Courtesy Phone.

I think you have the concept correct - pure "closers" get devalued, and high K/great ratio MRs get a bump up in value. MRs come with so much volatility that dollar days is a viable strategy, though I'd keep an eye out for an overcorrection on a closer like Pressly or Karinchak too. I'd be tempted to go after one good undervalued closer or high upside MR for more than a buck, but that's me.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

The first year of switching over will be your biggest opportunity to take advantage. There will likely be owners paying $15+ for guys like Chapman, Hendricks, and Iglesias, but you'll find more value in reliable setup guys under $5, and you'll always have setup guys available on waivers.

My advice, target a list of non-closers with strong peripherals and hold firm on paying no more than $4 for MR. In a 10 team AL only, I'd be tempted to let the entire MR pref list slide and scoop my favourite $1 guys. I would target wide open bullpen like KC, Seattle, Texas, Baltimore, Toronto and contenders set to win 100+ games with extra MR talent: NYY, CWS.

My first year of SV+HLD, someone paid $18 for Ryan Pressly as a setup guy.... trust that there will be a learning curve, stick to your guns.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Thank you

Comment

thanks too

anyone else weigh in? - I am 12 team mixed yahoo snake draft.

so - dont touch relievers until as late as possible - except for a few elite guys (maybe)

according to projections guys like Pete Fairbanks (who?) are pretty valuable

Comment

I don't think he has enough value to justify early enough to get him; others will go higher. 12-team Yahoo mixed means that there will be tons of good options on the wire all year. Get as many elite and safe players at other positions since you'll want to have extra bench spots for relievers if it is a daily league (like most Yahoo leagues are)---if you make sure you have a team of every day players elsewhere, you can use most of your bench for MR's who go in for starters who aren't pitching that night. Cheeky, but effective.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
              I don't think he has enough value to justify early enough to get him; others will go higher. 12-team Yahoo mixed means that there will be tons of good options on the wire all year. Get as many elite and safe players at other positions since you'll want to have extra bench spots for relievers if it is a daily league (like most Yahoo leagues are)---if you make sure you have a team of every day players elsewhere, you can use most of your bench for MR's who go in for starters who aren't pitching that night. Cheeky, but effective.
              That's standard ESPN strategy as their standard leagues limit starts/year to 180 or 200.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                I agree

what I meant is guys like Pete Fairbanks - who has an ADP over 300 can still be valuable - so why draft any relievers before even in a middle round

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                  I agree

what I meant is guys like Pete Fairbanks - who has an ADP over 300 can still be valuable - so why draft any relievers before even in a middle round
                  Right. Actually there's no real reason to draft a reliever before a LATE round in that format.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                    The first year of switching over will be your biggest opportunity to take advantage. There will likely be owners paying $15+ for guys like Chapman, Hendricks, and Iglesias, but you'll find more value in reliable setup guys under $5, and you'll always have setup guys available on waivers.

My advice, target a list of non-closers with strong peripherals and hold firm on paying no more than $4 for MR. In a 10 team AL only, I'd be tempted to let the entire MR pref list slide and scoop my favourite $1 guys. I would target wide open bullpen like KC, Seattle, Texas, Baltimore, Toronto and contenders set to win 100+ games with extra MR talent: NYY, CWS.

My first year of SV+HLD, someone paid $18 for Ryan Pressly as a setup guy.... trust that there will be a learning curve, stick to your guns.
                    With the exception of Diego Castillo $8 I took your advice. I was able to get Jordan Romano $3, Peter Fairbanks $4 to go with my $1 Taylor Rogers keeper. I also snagged Emmanuel Clase in reserve.

Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Vecmizer View Post
                      With the exception of Diego Castillo $8 I took your advice. I was able to get Jordan Romano $3, Peter Fairbanks $4 to go with my $1 Taylor Rogers keeper. I also snagged Emmanuel Clase in reserve.

Thank you very much.
                      Great job navigating the SV+HLD market without spending much. Very similar to the prices I paid for RP in my 12 team AL. I set a $4 ceiling on RP and this is who I landed: T. Scott $4, J. Alcala $3, C. Heuer $2, S. Romo $1.
                      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
                      X