SP trade question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP trade question

12-team mixed, 5x5 with OBP and S+H instead of Saves. Keep max 7 people at draft position where they were picked for maximum of three years.

I'm helping out a friend who runs a league where a manager left a team that was a giant dumpster fire. The team had three potentially decent keepers - Kershaw (4th round), Ketel Marte (15th round), and Lance McCullers (17th round). I've made a couple of draft pick swaps to get Trent Grisham and Yordan Alvarez in favorable rounds near the end of the draft.

I've been approached about another draft swap deal that will have me give up pick 53 for pick 65, but will likely be offered two of these four pitchers:

- Sixto Sanchez
    - Zach Plesac
    - Ian Anderson
    - Liam Hendricks

The S+H aspect has me devaluing Hendricks, but I'm not sure. Who would you take?
    I'm just here for the baseball.

I would take Plesac and Hendricks.

S+H doesn't change a lot for me. Hendricks is the closer on an exciting young team.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      I would take Plesac and Hendricks.

S+H doesn't change a lot for me. Hendricks is the closer on an exciting young team.
      Have you played in many SV + HLD format leagues?

I've had 4/5 leagues I play in switch to SV + HLD, and I think the devaluation of RP is massive and hard to understate. Closers collect slightly more SV + HLD than top setup guys, but it isn't so much to be worth 1 of 7 keeper slots in a 12 team mixed league. Top closers go for less every year in these leagues, as more owners adapt to the format.

I don't mind Anderson, Sixto, and Plesac. I rank them as such. I'd be interested to know which rounds they're locked into, and assume this would be their first keeper year of 3.

Sixto seems the most overrated based on his batted ball luck from 2020. I think his FB gets hit more going forward from what I've read. Still slightly ahead of Plesac, in my mind, among those 3.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I agree that S+H devalue closers, especially those bottom feeder closers that are mediocre but get saves. Hendricks is elite, so is still great to have, because he not only gets saves, but the other stats. But he is worth less than he would be in a saves only league, because the talent pool of good options is much deeper, since guys that put up Hendricks-like stats in middle relief become options. I would not fault you for keeping Hendricks, who again, still very much has value, and save leaders get more saves than hold leaders get holds, but I'd probably pick two of the SPs.

The two to pick is a really tough call. Long term, I favor Anderson and Sixto. For this year, I'd go with Plesac and Anderson. I think Sixto could end up the best of the bunch by a decent margin, but he is 22 and I foresee growing pains and an inning cap lower than the other two.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post

I've had 4/5 leagues I play in switch to SV + HLD, and I think the devaluation of RP is massive and hard to understate. Closers collect slightly more SV + HLD than top setup guys, but it isn't so much to be worth 1 of 7 keeper slots in a 12 team mixed league. Top closers go for less every year in these leagues, as more owners adapt to the format.

I don't mind Anderson, Sixto, and Plesac. I rank them as such. I'd be interested to know which rounds they're locked into, and assume this would be their first keeper year of 3.

Sixto seems the most overrated based on his batted ball luck from 2020. I think his FB gets hit more going forward from what I've read. Still slightly ahead of Plesac, in my mind, among those 3.
          All but Hendricks are round 22 or 23 keepers. Hendricks is round 19. I'd have all of them for this year and next.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            All but Hendricks are round 22 or 23 keepers. Hendricks is round 19. I'd have all of them for this year and next.
            That definitely shifts the targets to two of the SP you listed.

Plesac could be good playing in the worst division, but he's still 3rd for me behind Anderson and Sixto. Also, Anderson and Sixto have higher perceived pedigree than Plesac (which is funny, since his dad pitched like 27 years in the bigs, but anyway...), so I would think Sixto and Anderson retain better trade value for a team that's expecting to rebuild.
            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              I agree that S+H devalue closers, especially those bottom feeder closers that are mediocre but get saves. Hendricks is elite, so is still great to have, because he not only gets saves, but the other stats. But he is worth less than he would be in a saves only league, because the talent pool of good options is much deeper, since guys that put up Hendricks-like stats in middle relief become options. I would not fault you for keeping Hendricks, who again, still very much has value, and save leaders get more saves than hold leaders get holds, but I'd probably pick two of the SPs.

The two to pick is a really tough call. Long term, I favor Anderson and Sixto. For this year, I'd go with Plesac and Anderson. I think Sixto could end up the best of the bunch by a decent margin, but he is 22 and I foresee growing pains and an inning cap lower than the other two.
              You stated this much better than I did.

This rings true: save leaders get more saves than hold leaders get holds,

Chance already has two starters and gets a 3rd in this deal. I would grab the elite closer rather than try to get lesser ones or closer in waiting options. He will be a good in season trade chip if needed.

I would take Plesac, but would not feel bad if I got one of the other two instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post

My tongue in cheek answer would be all of my leagues do this. But the truth is they just started a two years ago. I have not noticed the trend that you mention yet. That does not mean it is not coming. I will watch for it this year. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

I'm all Sexto and Anderson.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    I'm all Sexto
                    TMI dude
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I would take Sanchez and Anderson.
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

definitely Sixto. I don't trust Plesac yet. the massive improvement is too small sample size. although his rookie year was pretty decent. what's his spin rate, foreign substance? heh

Comment

Thanks to all - Sixto and Ian Anderson are safely in the fold.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            Thanks to all - Sixto and Ian Anderson are safely in the fold.
                            It's like we share one brain when it comes to baseball :P
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

FWIW on holds - my main league does SV+Ho/2-BS. Much more sane than just S+H IMHO (i.e., values good closers quite a bit more than setup guys, and also values good closers much more than scrub closers).

I don't know why any league would use straight S+Ho; makes no sense to me. Especially with Ho being such a squirrely stat (well, OK, S are bad enough too, but Ho are just wonky)...

(Yes, I just said Hos are squirrels; that does not mean squirrels are Hos. Otters on the other hand...)
                              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                              X