Yordan Alvarez...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yordan Alvarez...

Why am I the outsider on Alvarez? I realize that he's an awesome hitter, but he's got less than 325 AB's in his major league career. He's also not the picture of health, and he's huge, 230-250 pounds with chronically bad knees . Not a combination that goes well together.

Yet, people seem to be irrationally (IMO) high on him and his potential for regular PT. What am I missing?
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    Why am I the outsider on Alvarez? I realize that he's an awesome hitter, but he's got less than 325 AB's in his major league career. He's also not the picture of health, and he's huge, 230-250 pounds with chronically bad knees . Not a combination that goes well together.

Yet, people seem to be irrationally (IMO) high on him and his potential for regular PT. What am I missing?
    I think it is hard to fathom for most people how a player, especially one his age, can continue to get hurt just DHing, so they chase that bat, which is has shown such great potential. I hate DH only guys and never pay as much as leaguemates for them, but I have to admit to understanding the appeal. The dude can rake. The skills are real, except for the health skill. The injury risk is also real, but I really don't get it. I know hitting is a physical activity too, but geesh. Guys are supposed to shift to DH when their bodies can't take the wear and tear of fielding. It is hard to get how a young, fit body can't take the wear and tear of 4-5 ABs a game. But Stanton has shown us that there are players that frail.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      I think it is hard to fathom for most people how a player, especially one his age, can continue to get hurt just DHing, so they chase that bat, which is has shown such great potential. I hate DH only guys and never pay as much as leaguemates for them, but I have to admit to understanding the appeal. The dude can rake. The skills are real, except for the health skill. The injury risk is also real, but I really don't get it. I know hitting is a physical activity too, but geesh. Guys are supposed to shift to DH when their bodies can't take the wear and tear of fielding. It is hard to get how a young, fit body can't take the wear and tear of 4-5 ABs a game. But Stanton has shown us that there are players that frail.
      I own Alvarez in my AL league. Missing him last year hurt me big time. I have him at $5, extension coming after this year. I'm glad I don't have to make that decision now.

It seems like teams are moving quicker to shift DH guys into that role early in their careers, and I don't mind it, especially with universal DH very likely to happen in the next CBA. Apparently running the OF is what hurt Alvarez's knees. If he can maintain better health staying completely off the field, I support that more than trying to force a bad defender onto the field. Same with Vlad Jr, if he sucks at 1B, make the switch early. The elite bats will justify locking down the DH spot, but it does create difficulty for someone like Michael Brantley not having a spot to rest twice a week. I would think Brantley is more at risk of losing PT than Alvarez in this setup.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

You know, the Twins once gave up on a young DH only with a HOF bat for peanuts, I'm just having a hard time remembering.... ah, yes. Big Puppy. That's the guy.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

His 2019 season (combined AAA & MLB): .325, 50 HRs, 149 RBIs

When he was promoted from AAA, he didn't skip a beat. There was no learning curve, he just kept it going. At age 22.

I guess those who take him early believe he's healthy and think why can't he just keep going?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            His 2019 season (combined AAA & MLB): .325, 50 HRs, 149 RBIs

When he was promoted from AAA, he didn't skip a beat. There was no learning curve, he just kept it going. At age 22.

I guess those who take him early believe he's healthy and think why can't he just keep going?
            I kinda forgot about the AAA destruction prior to his promotion, so thanks for the reminder. I think it's important for context that it wasn't just an incredible 3 months produced off pitchers that hadn't seen him yet, it was a full season of annihilating baseballs.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
              You know, the Twins once gave up on a young DH only with a HOF bat for peanuts, I'm just having a hard time remembering.... ah, yes. Big Puppy. That's the guy.
              LOL...yeah, that was a Tom Kelly special. He had a ton of cred at the time from 2 WS titles, and the Twins had to play his way, or get shipped out. Ortiz liked to hit the ball out of the park, which was fine when he allowed a player to swing away, but Kelly also liked to play small ball, which grated on Papi. Kelly eventually got his way, as he always did, and Ortiz was let go. Biggest mistake the Twins ever made.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

LOL...yeah, that was a Tom Kelly special. He had a ton of cred at the time from 2 WS titles, and the Twins had to play his way, or get shipped out. Ortiz liked to hit the ball out of the park, which was fine when he allowed a player to swing away, but Kelly also liked to play small ball, which grated on Papi. Kelly eventually got his way, as he always did, and Ortiz was let go. Biggest mistake the Twins ever made.
                It's funny, that's the opposite of what happened with Paul O'Neill. When he was with the Reds, they wanted him to pull the ball but that wasn't his style. So they traded him the Yanks and they let him be the hitter he was most comfortable being.
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  It's funny, that's the opposite of what happened with Paul O'Neill. When he was with the Reds, they wanted him to pull the ball but that wasn't his style. So they traded him the Yanks and they let him be the hitter he was most comfortable being.
                  Yep, Lou was convinced O'Neil could hit 40 homers a year if he pulled the ball more.

Comment

I'm an Alvarez stan. This kid might come at a discount this year and I'll be there to scoop him up. Huge power upside and solid plate skills. If he's just DH'ing then I would hope he could get 500 AB and hit 35+ HRs with a .275 BA for cheap.
                    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                      I'm an Alvarez stan. This kid might come at a discount this year and I'll be there to scoop him up. Huge power upside and solid plate skills. If he's just DH'ing then I would hope he could get 500 AB and hit 35+ HRs with a .275 BA for cheap.
                      Ive read scuttle that they might try him at 1B

Comment

Working...
                      X