CBS Online Auctions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBS Online Auctions

Just getting around to setting up my league in a COVID world. Is CBS Commissioner offering an option for an online auction draft this year? I dont see it in draft setup. I know they had it last year, and offered auction mocks as well. I dont see the option in the mock lobby either.
    One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

There is an agreement between the major providers to stop using the word "auction". Are there options that could in fact be auctions using a different term/phrase?
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
      There is an agreement between the major providers to stop using the word "auction". Are there options that could in fact be auctions using a different term/phrase?
      It might help to understand why they are not using "auction" or else the suggestion may have the same issues.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

ESPN and CBS are calling them SALARY CAP leagues instead of auction leagues. I assume Yahoo is following suit.

I'm just the messenger.

Comment

ESPN and CBS are calling them SALARY CAP leagues instead of auction leagues. I assume Yahoo is following suit.

I'm just the messenger.
          No worries, I was just trying to understand the context before providing input.
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

It's along the same lines of the industry avoiding saying anything with owner in it (ownership, etc.).

We're not supposed to say an outfielder has a gun for an arm. Or a batter hit a bomb.

Stuff like that.

My bank account isn't substantial enough to say anything but "Yes, sir."

Comment

It's along the same lines of the industry avoiding saying anything with owner in it (ownership, etc.).

We're not supposed to say an outfielder has a gun for an arm. Or a batter hit a bomb.

Stuff like that.

My bank account isn't substantial enough to say anything but "Yes, sir."
              I think I misunderstood the intent of your first post....ooops. I will show myself out
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I am in four leagues. each is having an auction. I expect mig.sano to hit a lot of bombs.

Comment

I am cool with change, even though salary cap league could be misleading for leagues that do not have an in-season cap, as the common terms have always been a bit problematic. Though, it would have been good if these sites put the reasoning front and center to educate folks on why the move to less accurate terms is warranted/appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                    I am in four leagues. each is having an auction. I expect mig.sano to hit a lot of bombs.
                    If you continue to be insensitive you will be ganged up on and lose your privelege to participate in Salary Cap leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      I am cool with change, even though salary cap league could be misleading for leagues that do not have an in-season cap, as the common terms have always been a bit problematic. Though, it would have been good if these sites put the reasoning front and center to educate folks on why the move to less accurate terms is warranted/appropriate.
                      As one of the main Champions to eliminate the A word from our game I must point out that a $260 budget is in fact a salary cap. The in-season cap is only an expansion of the day one salary cap.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        As one of the main Champions to eliminate the A word from our game I must point out that a $260 budget is in fact a salary cap. The in-season cap is only an expansion of the day one salary cap.
                        That is true. I have always associated salary cap leagues with in-season caps, so we will just have to adjust our understanding by calling leagues without one SC leagues and leagues with one full season salary cap leagues to distinguish between them? Really, the only time I think most folks use the term is to identify the date itself, and we can just call it draft day.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          The problem is that "salary cap" fantasy sports is a term that was already in use. I remember 20 years ago talking about salary cap football leagues where everyone could have the same players (with a set salary for each) but there's a salary cap so you choose how to allocate your resources. But everyone can allocate resources to the same player if they choose. And a player's "salary" would potentially change every week. It was a fun game. Nothing like what we are talking about here.

2024 TOP 200 Fantasy Football Rankings, TOP 200 PPR Cheatsheets TOP 200 PPR Draft / Draft Rankings

The "A" term, similar to draft, is about how players are acquired on draft day. It's a completely different thing.

In addition we have in season caps.

So the same term used for 3 different things is going to get really confusing.

I'm fine with changing terms, if a word is a problem lets stop using that word. But what is the "thing where we all bid and then there's a going once going twice sold". If it's not an "A", then what is it? That "thing" is not a salary cap.
                          Last edited by Ken; 02-26-2021, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            To paraphrase one of my favorite movie lines of all time: "Reasoning? Am I going mad or did the word reasoning escape your lips?"
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              The problem is that "salary cap" fantasy sports is a term that was already in use. I remember 20 years ago talking about salary cap football leagues where everyone could have the same players (with a set salary for each) but there's a salary cap so you choose how to allocate your resources. But everyone can allocate resources to the same player if they choose. And a player's "salary" would potentially change every week. It was a fun game. Nothing like what we are talking about here.

2024 TOP 200 Fantasy Football Rankings, TOP 200 PPR Cheatsheets TOP 200 PPR Draft / Draft Rankings

The "A" term, similar to draft, is about how players are acquired on draft day. It's a completely different thing.

In addition we have in season caps.

So the same term used for 3 different things is going to get really confusing.

I'm fine with changing terms, if a word is a problem lets stop using that word. But what is the "thing where we all bid and then there's a going once going twice sold". If it's not an "A", then what is it? That "thing" is not a salary cap.
                              I was being sarcastic. To not use Auction is ridiculous. Are we allowed to use the term bidding when participating in a Salary Cap league?

I can't stop the Services from changing how and what they want to call auctions. I am looking forward to making a financial offer for the imaginary services for my imaginary team members for my imaginary baseball but very real statistical team that I manage but do not own. I want to make it clear that I do NOT own players, but I do pretend to employ them. I hope this does not offend them.

Comment

Working...
                              X