2k21: Zach Plesac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k21: Zach Plesac

Talk about a divisive pitcher! Current ADP puts him around 60th overall, meaning the end of the 4th round for a 15-team league.

Other pitchers in that range - Hyun Jin Ryu, Kyle Hendricks, Max Fried, Carlos Carrasco, Stephen Strasburg, Corbin Burnes.

Last year Plesac was 4-2 with a 2.28 ERA, an amazing 0.80 WHIP, a 3.39 FIP, 9.3 K/9 and 0.98 BB/9. That's an amazing K:BB ratio. His xFIP was 3.50 and his SIERA was 3.41. If he could pitch to his FIP/SIERA/xFIP with a strikeout per inning, he'd be worth that draft pick and then some. His K% was a really strong 27.7%. Even so, that 1.30 HR/9 is a bit scary.

And yet he threw 115 innings with a 3.81 ERA, 4.94 FIP and 5.06 xFIP in 2019. With a 6.9 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9. So all the projection systems look at those skills and say that 2020 was a fluke. (ATC has a 4.19 ERA, Steamer a 4.72 ERA, The BAT a 4.22 ERA, etc)

It wasn't a total fluke - he changed his pitch mix. He had a 13% decline in his fastball and threw his slider a lot more. His SwStr% went from 9.5% to 14.3% - meaning the K/9 looks like it's real and could even have room for growth.

I just passed on him for Kyle Hendricks, but now I'm starting to wish I hadn't. Imagine if a slightly deader ball helps him keep the HR/9 or even reduce it a bit. He could have better than 10:1 K:BB rate with more than a K per inning, a great WHIP and an ERA in the mid 3s.

Reference: https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/2020-f...age-decliners/

And: https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/is-zac...-bonafide-ace/
    Last edited by joncarlos; 02-24-2021, 03:40 PM.

You made the right call.

I've been harping on this all off-season.

Plesac MAY indeed be the guy he exhibited last season. He's certainly improved. However...

4 days rest: 3 GS, 3.60 ERA, 8.1 K/9, 5 HR in 20 IP
    5 days rest: 3 GS, 2.11 ERA, 9.3 K/9, 2 HR in 21.1 IP
    6+ days rest: 2 GS, .64 ERA, 10.9 K/9, 1 HR in 14 IP

Small samples? OF COURSE. But...

The aggregate 8 GS is also small to drive the quantum leap many are espousing and...

Bill James taught s extremes in small samples can be real -- and this looks pretty extreme to me.

Don't ignore the HR data -- 5 HR in 20 IP? Plesac "should have" surrendered more than eight runs.

This doesn't even broach the notion of a weak schedule.

I'm willing to be wrong, but let's see what Plesac does working every fifth day against stiffer competition.
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
      You made the right call.

Plesac MAY indeed be the guy he exhibited last season. He's certainly improved. However...

The aggregate 8 GS is also small to drive the quantum leap many are espousing and...

Bill James taught s extremes in small samples can be real -- and this looks pretty extreme to me.

Don't ignore the HR data -- 5 HR in 20 IP? Plesac "should have" surrendered more than eight runs.

I'm willing to be wrong, but let's see what Plesac does working every fifth day against stiffer competition.
      I like the outside the box analysis but I dont know what this is supposed to tell us really. Is it saying he's better with more rest? In 2019, in a larger sample his ERA was better with 4 days rest than 5/6+. His K rate was almost identical with 4 days rest in 2019 as 6+. Im just not sure these numbers actually mean anything or if they are random data points. Are there other pitchers historically where this analysis was useful and predictive?

Comment

All I'm saying is much of Plesac's success came on extra rest against lesser competition. Let's see what happens when he works on regular rest against better lineups.

It very well may be noise.

But is it enough to reconsider drafting Plesac as the 21st (or so) overall starting pitcher?

For me it is.

Comment

Will be interesting to analyze because there's obviously regression coming no matter what.

Comment

I traded my cheap Plesac last year thinking I was trading him high. I am not so sure now.

I find those days rest stats very interesting. Maybe he just needs to get in better shape? Or maybe it is in his head that he pitches better with more rest becoming a self full filling prophecy. Or maybe he really just needs the rest?

I kind of hope he starts out slow so I can get him back.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              I traded my cheap Plesac last year thinking I was trading him high. I am not so sure now.

I find those days rest stats very interesting. Maybe he just needs to get in better shape? Or maybe it is in his head that he pitches better with more rest becoming a self full filling prophecy. Or maybe he really just needs the rest?

I kind of hope he starts out slow so I can get him back.
              I recently traded him for Dylan Carlson--Todd's analysis helped persuade me. I too hope to be able to get him back, the guy who got him is patient. More patient than me. So I doubt I will.

Comment

Plesac lines up to face the Tigers in his first two starts.

Comment

Plesac lines up to face the Tigers in his first two starts.
                  Well, there goes the idea of a slow start .

Comment

You made the right call.

If Cleveland goes to a six-man rotation, looks like Plesac is gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                      If Cleveland goes to a six-man rotation, looks like Plesac is gold.
                      We need a like button - who's in charge here, tell them to get on that.

Comment

We need a like button - who's in charge here, tell them to get on that.
                        Add to user's reputation. Star in the bottom left.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          Add to user's reputation. Star in the bottom left.
                          Understood, but not the same.

Comment

Understood, but not the same.

Best we've got.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                            X