Deadball 2k21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadball 2k21

Rawlings has loosened the tension of the first of three wool windings around the center of the ball, which reduced the weight of the ball, by less than one-tenth of an ounce — or 2.8 grams — as well as the bounciness of the ball.

Five teams also plan to add humidors this season, bringing to 10 the number of stadiums that will store baseballs in humidity-controlled cabinets. The Colorado Rockies, Arizona Diamondbacks, Seattle Mariners, New York Mets and Boston Red Sox already have humidors.

The memo did not identify the five teams adding humidors, but officials with the Angels and Dodgers both confirmed they were not adding them.
    Major League Baseball is slightly deadening the ball this season amid a six-year surge of home runs. Not surprisingly, pitchers and managers welcome the move.

Supposedly not a big change (a foot or two on a 375+ ft. hit) but it's got people talkin'! They're trying to change the game away from a "three true outcomes" game as it's become.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

I mean, is this what we're seeing right now? Pitching is going nuts this year.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

5 no hitters so far, with a 7 inning no no that didn’t count.

Comment

Strikeouts about the same but runs and earned runs are significantly down league-wide. Still, it was only back in 2014 that both were lower than now. I guess it's just comparing to the last couple few years that it feels like pitching is dominating. Oh yeah, and the insane amount of no hitters!

Comment

IMO when the ball is changed significantly (and this appears significant), there's going to be an adjustment period where stats are extreme. And it makes sense.

Hitters' approach is based on the way the ball has flown for the last several years. It makes sense to sell out because the ball was flying out of the park. You strikeout more, but as a hitter you take that trade in order to put the ball in the air more and hit more HRs.

Now, the ball changes, and some of those HR you were selling out for are flyouts. But you can't just change your swing overnight. Muscle memory, for one thing, is hard to overcome. So hitters are still striking out as much (actually more), to sell out for.... fly outs to the warning track in many cases.

Rather than using the short 2020 season, lets look at 2019 as a comparison point. In 2019 hitters were striking out at a rate of 8.81 k/gm and hitting 1.39 HR/gm. When the ball stayed in the park they were hitting at a .2983 BABIP.

Fast forward to 2021, hitters still are selling out - 8.96 strikouts per game, but they are only getting 1.14 HR/gm and hitting with a .287 BABIP. So, in relative terms, strikeouts are up ~2%, but over the same timespan hitters will have hit 311 fewer HRs and had 318 fewer hits on balls in play.

IMO those balls that were going over the fence in 2019 are now flyouts to the warning track.

Comment

Some random notes:

- The record for no-hitters in a season during the modern era is 7, and there's already been 5.
            - We are on pace for 19 no no's this season.
            - This is the first season since 1917 with 5 no hitters before June.
            - The leaguewide batting average is .236, the lowest BA of all time
            - The lowest in a full season is, of course, in 1968 when the league hit .237

Comment

I cant think of a better way to put asses in seats than to mess with the ball so much that you create a league hitting .236 as a whole. Maybe they should ban the DH in the AL too, because pitchers hitting a collective .089 (total guess) would add to the excitement.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                I cant think of a better way to put asses in seats than to mess with the ball so much that you create a league hitting .236 as a whole. Maybe they should ban the DH in the AL too, because pitchers hitting a collective .089 (total guess) would add to the excitement.
                Hey, if you want to see a no-hitter in person, this is your year to go to games.

Comment

Baseball is becoming damn near unwatchable for me. BORING!!!!!!!
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    You're a Librarian, Boring IS your life.
                    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I believe that after last nights no hitter, Seattle had a TEAM batting average below .200. Thought I heard that the previous MLB low was something like .210.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

SIXTH no hitter tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          I believe that after last nights no hitter, Seattle had a TEAM batting average below .200. Thought I heard that the previous MLB low was something like .210.
                          I am clicking between games on MLBTV.com and someone mentioned that they are hitting .199 I heard about 4 different broadcasts mention 1968 and pitcher dominance, no hitters, etc.
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            Do you find it boring because your team has no chance of winning?
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                              You're a Librarian, Boring IS your life.
                              You ever spend a day in a library? Definitely not boring..all the time...
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                              X