Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
    Originally posted by Ken View Post
    In *any* trade you are improving a competitor. By this logic you wouldn't ever trade? But you are playing against 9 competitors not 1. Outside of niche cases where there are 1 or 2 great keeper lists you should not ever focus on what the other team is doing, if you can improve your own team you should do it.
    In a trade the competition is between the traders.you want five back for your five (if you can't get more). You never want to trade an opponent even a miniscule advantage. A trade has tohelp both equally or helpyourself more or you are really doing it wrong. If I trade two fives
    I want ten back or more. I will not take six.
    ok. Your experience must be vastly different than mine. I've been very successful focusing only on improving my team, if I'm helping an opponent too, great. It's extremely rare that specifically a) that team I'm trading with and my team are immediately next to each other in the standings and b) that specifically the players I give them pushes them past me in the standings, and c) that the upgraded player I got back (plus the additional player from an extra roster spot) did not also help me enough to keep me ahead of the team I'm trading with.

The odds of all 3 of those happening are *much* smaller than the improved player I receive pushing me up in the standings relative to *random other team that may be ahead of me*. Maybe the improbable "pushed my opponent past me with one trade" happens once every... 100 trades? I don't ever remember that occurring and I've played a long time and made a lot of trades.

Also, for what its worth, trading 2 fives NEVER EVER gets you a 10 in my experience. Maybe an 8 at best? Your opponents aren't valuing the roster spot otherwise, and if that's the case none of this really matters - you should just make profitable trades and win your league easily. If I'm playing against extremely poor competition I don't need any "strategy". My discussion is generally based on leagues with relatively good owners who know what they are doing.
    Last edited by Ken; 02-24-2021, 12:37 PM.

Comment

One more illustration and I'll agree to disagree. Would you trade your Scherzer valued 26 and Pablo Lopez valued 14 for Ozuna valued 28? I'm saying no, if you can't get Manny Machado valued 38 or better than don't make the deal.

Comment

One more illustration and I'll agree to disagree. Would you trade your Scherzer valued 26 and Pablo Lopez valued 14 for Ozuna valued 28? I'm saying no, if you can't get Manny Machado valued 38 or better than don't make the deal.
        If the alternative is dropping Lopez, then it's just between a guy I have valued at 26 and one I have valued at 28 ... so yes absolutely.

Comment

If the alternative is dropping Lopez, then it's just between a guy I have valued at 26 and one I have valued at 28 ... so yes absolutely.
          So you give someone 14 for 2.

Comment

So you give someone 14 for 2.
            You understand that 14 isn't actually 14 right??? Unless you plan to just not roster another player. Who is he dropping from his keeper list? Who are you adding to your keeper list in the place of Lopez?

Comment

It's hard to understand this rationalization. OK with dropping $14, but giving away $14 for $2, that's bad? Huh?

Comment

You understand that 14 isn't actually 14 right??? Unless you plan to just not roster another player. Who is he dropping from his keeper list? Who are you adding to your keeper list in the place of Lopez?
                It is to the person with whom you just made a deal.

Comment

It is to the person with whom you just made a deal.
                  Makes no sense here, they have to drop someone now that they would not have. It's not a net 14 for them. And again, even if it was, if you are playing to beat one specific team then you aren't going to win. If you are that upset about that one team, choose a different team to trade with.

Comment

If I had a keeper list worth $190 and the person I was trading with had a keeper list worth $130, and I'd have to cut Lopez anyway, yes. That incremental difference likely doesn't increase their odds of beating me much, and that extra offensive input may well be what puts me over the top.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

UPDATE: Made a couple deals to solidify my 10 keepers heading into my Vegas draft: T. Turner, Bellinger, Lindor, Goldschmidt, Suarez, Bohm, Nola, Gallen, Burnes and Musgrove. Bring on the new season!

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon View Post
                        UPDATE: Made a couple deals to solidify my 10 keepers heading into my Vegas draft: T. Turner, Bellinger, Lindor, Goldschmidt, Suarez, Bohm, Nola, Gallen, Burnes and Musgrove. Bring on the new season!
                        wow, that's massive improvement, good trades.

Comment

Yes, well done. That is a great keeper list.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon View Post
                            Interesting. It appears you (effectively) traded Bauer, Carrasco & S.Marte for T.Turner. If Bauer is what he was last year, that feels like a lot to give up in order to keep Musgrove.

In your format, where would Musgrove have likely gone in the draft? If you had tossed him as Jon suggested, could you have gotten him back by selecting him a round or two early?
                            2021 Auction Anatomy
                            2021 Keeper Decisions
                            2020 Auction Anatomy
                            2020 Pre-Auction
                            2015 Auction Anatomy
                            2014 Auction Anatomy
                            2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                            RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                              Interesting. It appears you (effectively) traded Bauer, Carrasco & S.Marte for T.Turner. If Bauer is what he was last year, that feels like a lot to give up in order to keep Musgrove.

In your format, where would Musgrove have likely gone in the draft? If you had tossed him as Jon suggested, could you have gotten him back by selecting him a round or two early?
                              Hard to leave Lindor out of that analysis...

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post

You missed the addition of Lindor. Turner, Lindor and Musgrove replaces Bauer, Carrasco and S. Marte.

Comment

Working...
                                X