Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K21 Rowdy Tellez

Who wants to get Rowdy?

In 553 AB over his first 3 seasons, Rowdy Tellez has 33 HR & 33 2B to go along with 91 RBI and 79 R plus a 157/42 K/BB.

The .250 BA is a concern. But, he was a .275 hitter in over 2,000 minor league (all AA/AAA) at bats. And he did cut down on his K's last season. So, maybe there is room for improvement here.

Looks like the soon-to-be 26 year-old has the inside track on the Blue Jays DH spot to begin the season. The big question is where does he hit? Last year, his at bats were spread out mostly among the 3-4-5-6 & 8 spots in the order. If Tellez and his huge power upside can find a way into the middle of that stacked lineup, there would be no shortage of RBI opportunities for him.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

As it sits right now, Tellez doesn't have a starting job...Teoscar Hernandez is listed as the DH. Gurriel, Springer, and Grichuk are starters in the OF, and Vladdy Jr. is at 1st, unless there's something of a surprise in camp. The signing of Semien shifted Biggio over to 3rd, so the Vlad experiment is probably dead.

I'm guessing that Tellez gets a fair amount of AB's, but not above 400 unless there's an injury.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      As it sits right now, Tellez doesn't have a starting job...Teoscar Hernandez is listed as the DH. Gurriel, Springer, and Grichuk are starters in the OF, and Vladdy Jr. is at 1st, unless there's something of a surprise in camp. The signing of Semien shifted Biggio over to 3rd, so the Vlad experiment is probably dead.

I'm guessing that Tellez gets a fair amount of AB's, but not above 400 unless there's an injury.
      I was initially relying on Yahoo's depth chart. But, after a quick check of depth charts at six different sites, the opinions appear to be evenly split. CBS, ESPN, & MLB.com say Grichuk plays and Tellez sits. But, Yahoo, NBC (Rotoworld), & FanGraphs say that Tellez is DH and Grichuk sits with Teo playing OF. So, i guess it will be a situation to keep an eye on.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Yeah, I think Hornsby has it right. OTOH, in any case of injury except to a catcher, Tellez is probably first person up, so who knows - just one ding in Spring Training and the door is open for him. I have Tellez on my 11-team AL-only for 10, and I'm planning to drop him unless a ST injury or trade.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Tellez will get the majority of starts at DH and will mix in work at 1B as things stand right now.

Right now, Tellez is looking at the majority of designated hitter reps with some first base mixed in, as the Blue Jays will likely continue to give Vladimir Guerrero Jr. some days off his feet. The outfield picture might overlap with the DH spot too, though, so Tellez will still need to hit. Tellez is still just 25 and should be on your short list of names to watch in Spring Training. On days when he’s not in the starting lineup, he’ll be that powerful left-handed bench bat this roster needs.
          TORONTO -- The Blue Jays are less than a week from pitchers and catchers reporting to Dunedin, Fla., for Spring Training, and will soon begin their revised, 28-game Grapefruit League schedule, which was released Friday. Under this new setup, which limits team travel, the Blue Jays will play all of

I'd bet Grichuk is the 4th OF. There are plenty of ABs to go around in situations like these. I like Tellez as an endgame power target.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

https://jaysjournal.com/2021/02/16/b...gzcJs0QSdWwvq8

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I am betting the Jays want that LH bat in the lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                Especially for the games in Dunedin.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                  That makes sense, but Grichuk is a better fielder than Hernandez, so that may push Teo to DH more often, and I am assuming Teo gets every day ABs. I hope so, and I have him.

Comment

A comment to that article has this tidbit. If true, it is an odd stat that doesn't bode well for him playing except against the Red Sox.

'Overall in his career, the Blue Jays first baseman has hit .251/.311/.492. Against the Red Sox in his career, he has hit .377/.451/.857. take out the Red Sox and he is a 220 hitter

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      That makes sense, but Grichuk is a better fielder than Hernandez, so that may push Teo to DH more often, and I am assuming Teo gets every day ABs. I hope so, and I have him.
                      Teo last year, was one of the front runners for the AL MVP until he suffered the oblique injury in early September. He's going to play before anyone not named Springer.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                      X