Mark Cuban & the Dallas Mavericks pull the plug on the national anthem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Cuban & the Dallas Mavericks pull the plug on the national anthem

The Dallas Mavericks have stopped playing the national anthem before their home games. It will be interesting to see if other sports teams follow suit to take the spotlight off of their players who kneel for the national anthem.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mark-...n-social-media
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

I guess that's why they are called the Mavericks.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
      I guess that's why they are called the Mavericks.
      Plus he's from Cuba...
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'm all for standing if you want to stand, kneeling if you want to kneel. But not playing it at all seems ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          I'm all for standing if you want to stand, kneeling if you want to kneel. But not playing it at all seems ridiculous.
          Why is it ridiculous? I mean it is a tradition, but I am not sure it is an important one.
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Playing it seems ridiculous to me. And there is no tradition of playing it - the Mavericks started playing the anthem before games all the way back in.....let's see.....1996, lol.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

What's the reason for playing it in the first place? They've never played it at the start of a concert I've been to. Never played it when I went to a movie. Sporting events are just entertainment. Why specifically is it associated with basketball? What's the correlation?

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                Playing it seems ridiculous to me. And there is no tradition of playing it - the Mavericks started playing the anthem before games all the way back in.....let's see.....1996, lol.
                It seems like every sporting event I used to go to played it. I could be remembering wrong. Been a long time since i have been to a game
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

So the NBA issues a statement that EVERY NBA team WILL play the National Anthem before each game.

My question is WHY does it have to be played and ANY sporting event?
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

This is an issue where I don't care a lot one way or the other. I do think the national anthem can be inspiring at special times. Olympic gold medal ceremonies, inaugurations, things like that. It can remind us of the privileges we have and our shared history and values and so forth. I will also say that if you are at a baseball game every night and hear it played every night it can lose some of that special connotation. Also, I'm not one to really support required displays of patriotism. At that point it starts meaning the opposite of what it's supposed to.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      This is an issue where I don't care a lot one way or the other. I do think the national anthem can be inspiring at special times. Olympic gold medal ceremonies, inaugurations, things like that. It can remind us of the privileges we have and our shared history and values and so forth. I will also say that if you are at a baseball game every night and hear it played every night it can lose some of that special connotation. Also, I'm not one to really support required displays of patriotism. At that point it starts meaning the opposite of what it's supposed to.
                      I cringe at times at the use of our flag these days. Probably more often than not.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        What's the reason for playing it in the first place? They've never played it at the start of a concert I've been to. Never played it when I went to a movie. Sporting events are just entertainment. Why specifically is it associated with basketball? What's the correlation?
                        It's not specifically associated with basketball, but sports in general, in every country.

Started around WWI, took off during WWII. If you think about it, where else is the National Anthem played, if not sporting events? Not sure if schools sing it every morning (when they're actually in school).

So it's a tradition that's long been associated with all sports around the world.

Comment

It's not specifically associated with basketball, but sports in general, in every country.

Started around WWI, took off during WWII. If you think about it, where else is the National Anthem played, if not sporting events? Not sure if schools sing it every morning (when they're actually in school).

So it's a tradition that's long been associated with all sports around the world.
                          Do other countries really do it to the extent we do? Maybe our Canadian posters can chime in here. My impression was that in other countries, it's more for international matches or championship games, or other special occasions like that, as opposed to literally every routine sporting event from high school to the pros like we do in the USA.
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                            Do other countries really do it to the extent we do? Maybe our Canadian posters can chime in here. My impression was that in other countries, it's more for international matches or championship games, or other special occasions like that, as opposed to literally every routine sporting event from high school to the pros like we do in the USA.
                            I watch quite a bit of EPL and I know they don't do it.

I agree that it makes sense in international matches. Otherwise I don't really see the point.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                              I cringe at times at the use of our flag these days. Probably more often than not.
                              last time I visited the Liberty Bell I was really disappointed in how it's been used for nationalism and capitalism over the years. Least favorite attraction in Philly. And that includes the Rocky statue.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                              X