Angry Venting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angry Venting Thread

Has this ever happened to you? I know a guy in my league is obsessed with having the best catcher every year. He always pays up if he doesn't already have that guy as a keeper. He is losing Realmuto to the auction. So, I trade a trio of good prospects to land Adley, thinking I can flip him to this guy. I get Adley, and I email and text this guy to ask if he has any interest in Adley, and get no response, which is typical about half the time with him. The other half the time, he says no, but I thought I finally found the guy he would want--Adley. But after three days of no response, I decide to move Adley for the 6th pick in our FYPD. In hindsight, that was a light return, even if our league is a 1 catcher league. But ah well, I really wanted the pick and I hate catching prospects.

Fast forward two weeks, and in the meantime, I am offering literally anyone on my team majors or minors if he'd move one of his three stud SS, and he tells me he won't move any of them for anything, anyway, today he made an offer to the guy I traded Adley to. He gave him Corey Seager who is cheap and under contract for three years, and he threw in a prospect pick in the deal. I texted him asking why he did not respond to my text and email and he said by the time he had time to, I already dealt Adley. It was over three days later that I dealt Adley. So frustratiing. I would never have even dreamed of trying to get cheap Seager for just Adley. I would have offered more. I just offerred picks 6, 7, and 9 to the guy who got Seager and he said no. I tried selling him on the idea that he would be turning pick 6 into 6, 7, and 9, but he liked turning pick 6 into cheap Seager better. I don't blame him. The non-responder, though....this guy always gets me one way or the other. I guess I should have waited at least two weeks for a response before moving Adley. I should have trusted my instincts that he would have overpaid for Adley and just sat on him until he did.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-05-2021, 11:17 PM.

I don't get angry, but understand your frustration. My AL only auction league has one original owner who won't reply to non-original owners (I replaced an owner who dropped) and another who just simply is random in his responses. The latter guy is...well, different, so I've just dismissed dealing with him unless he makes the first move. Per the first guy, well, I was in rebuild mode last year, and dumped to his main competitor, who ended up winning the league.

Edit - Per obsessions, we have a couple owners with those, too - one who goes after as many stud young arms as he can get, at the expense of even better minor league hitters. Another has never, ever spent more than $10 on all three MI positions.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I don't see the reason for anger at the other guy here. You made two mistakes: (1) you traded for someone you didn't want to get a second deal without having that deal lined up in advance and (2) were impatient enough to move on after three days and no response when spring training hasn't even opened. It sucks, but you made the move you didn't want and cut your losses after three days. I can see anger, but not in that direction.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        I don't get angry, but understand your frustration. My AL only auction league has one original owner who won't reply to non-original owners (I replaced an owner who dropped) and another who just simply is random in his responses. The latter guy is...well, different, so I've just dismissed dealing with him unless he makes the first move. Per the first guy, well, I was in rebuild mode last year, and dumped to his main competitor, who ended up winning the league.
        Yeah, his loss. I don't get guys like that at all. Not trading with new owners? Great way to never keep new owners.

This guy in my league has been a doormat in our league for the 12 years he has been in it (a relative newbie by our league standards). I have never seen anyone so bad at fantasy in all my life (though, he insists he wins his other leagues all the time...I suspect that is right up there with his girlfriend who lives in Canada that we have never met). He came in last place 10 of the 12 years, and in all that time he never once traded for major league talent--always for prospects. Last year, when we played it out, embracing the chaos, he won the damn league. It was the year we upped the stakes too, so he basically nearly broke even after 11 years of being the biggest doormat in fantasy sports history. All that prospect accumulation finally came together for him. And I was mostly happy for him, eventually...I came in second, which stung, but I win a lot and he never has, so despite getting ribbed mercilessly by the rest of the league for the David and Goliath beat down I got from the worst owner in our league history, I was still mostly happy for him after my initial disappointment.

But here is by far the worst thing about him. It turns out, he is a really sore winner! Who could have known after a dozen years of being a doormat. The dude has been crowing hard ever since he won. He changed his sig to champ, and has trashed talked me every chance he has gotten. I have won 5 times in the 12 years he has been in the league and you know what his response to that is after I pointed it out (only after many pokes..I know how such a boast comes off)? Who won the last one bitch! I gotta say, the rest of the league is loving it. At this point, anyone who takes me down gets cheered, but boy has he taken to the heel role! I have had fun playing along until this deal. He may be purposefully freezing me out in an effort to beat me and repeat. He does have a good team, but he just made it worse giving Seager for Adley. He hurt himself more than he hurt me by not getting a whole lot more than Adley from me for Seager.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post

Edit - Per obsessions, we have a couple owners with those, too - one who goes after as many stud young arms as he can get, at the expense of even better minor league hitters. Another has never, ever spent more than $10 on all three MI positions.
          We had a guy in our league, Owner A, that would only trade with a few other owners. He really sucked and was in the league for the social aspect, which was fine, but only trading with a few people was not cool. So, one year an owner, Owner B, needed a closer to win and had a cheap Ian Kinsler (when he was young and good) and offered Kinsler for a closer from Owner A. No response, nothing. So he went to one of the guys that the bad owner would trade with, Owner C, and told him to trade for the closer so he could trade him Kinsler. Owner C makes trade with Owner B and then trades closer for Kinsler with Owner B and Owner B wins the league. Thankfully Owner A is no longer in the league and we don't have any of those owners that only trade with a few other guys.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

After 30 years of standard roto with a group of local guys I got so tired of BS trades that I finally bit the bullet a couple of years ago and switched to online 50 player Draft and Hold.

The group always talked big about no collusion and put in a few rules with no teeth but it was always there and it always sucked.

I miss some of the aspects of a keeper league, especially building a minor league crop and watching them evolve, but overall I love each team having their own universe of players and starting on equal footing each new year.

Comment

Working...
            X