Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFBC Draft Champions - Big Tymers 2021 (#1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to know on Deivi. I like him for significant innings this year - and I'm not even a Yankees fan. But there's two big question marks in Kluber and Taillon, and potential for high-level suckitude for Montgomery and German.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Exactly. Yankee staff is full of question marks so fired 3 bullets at it and maybe a 4th if I get Schmidt later. Someone will win games, just not sure who.

Comment

****NFBC DRAFT #2****

Ok, rather than start a new thread I'll just tack onto this one with my next draft the overall strategy and approach won't change. But the players at least at the top WILL change as I got very lucky with KDS as you'll see...

OPENING THOUGHTS: I'm actually pretty happy with how my last draft went so let's start there. I do not believe in overdrafting SP just to make sure you get an "ace" since let's be honest - all pitchers are risky. And couple that with the fact (or my pov if not fact) that all SPs have questions after Cole & deGrom. Now, would I like to roster a top-15 SP to anchor my staff? Of course. But on my terms and not at the expense of value. So I go into this next draft much like the first. I know I want speed and BA early and then ideally 2 SPs in the first 5 picks but won't force it. For KDS I went chalk again with the exception of bumping down 11 & 12 as I wanted to try and make sure I drafted from a different position than the last time. Oh did I. Somehow I got the first KDS selection and in hindsight kind of wish I prioritized #2 over #1 as its splitting hairs between Tatis & Acuna. Strong case to lump Soto there as well and maybe even Mookie but for me it was Tatis or Acuna. With the option, I took a look at who would likely be available for my next picks at 30-31 and was tempted to roll the dice and go Acuna hoping Bichette fell (or else if not grab Bogaerts) but ultimately stuck with my gut and went Tatis (no wrong answer there). Now, I'm left waiting a long time between picks and hoping Flaherty or Woodruff fall to me but know its not likely. Thus, may be forced to decide to anchor a staff with Kershaw (can he be healthy 2 years in a row and even if he is will the Dodgers just baby him) or stack offense again and double tap SP at the 4-5 turn. Being on the ends is fun as I think you can control the board a bit but you're also victim to runs if you guess timing wrong on scarce positions/stats. Should be interesting....

ROSTER:. Will list alternative positions for players who qualify at > 1 since positional flexibility is huge in a format like this
        C (start 2): d'Arnaud, Stallings, Stephenson, Contreras
        1B: Dozier (OF/3B), Moran, Torkelson
        2B: Moustakas (1B), Schoop, India
        SS: Tatis, Andrus
        3B: LeMahieu (2B/1B), Brosseau (1B/2B)
        OF: Arozarena, Buxton, Soler, Hicks, Pederson, Pache, Bleday, Marsh, C. Tucker (SS), H. Ramos
        UT: JD Martinez
        SP: Flaherty, Wheeler, Price, Stroman, McKenzie, May, Sale, Syndergaard, Garcia, Dobnak, L. Garcia, C. Martin, Webb, Hatch, Detmers, Balazovic
        CL/RP: Hendriks, Leclerc, Martin, Y. Garcia, J. Rodriguez, Bummer, Floro, Merryweather, Tepera

PICK COMMENTARY: Will add commentary here vs. posts to make this easier to read / follow
        ROUND 1 (TATIS): Tatis or Acuna - to me that was what it came down to and as I wrote in the first draft I have a strong preference towards the SS position so with relatively equal projections give me the new face of MLB and MLB The Show 21 coverboy
        ROUND 2 (FLAHERTY): Long time to wait between picks and was really hoping Woodruff or Flaherty would make it to me. Flaherty did.
        ROUND 3 (LEMAHIEU): Was tempted to do pocket aces and grab Kershaw or Scherzer but I am still of the belief that SP is overvalued and thus such a play is too big a departure for me. But it could have been fun. Instead, give me BA and positional flexibility with LeMahieu. Ideally I would have found someone with speed but Albies was taken right before my picks.
        ROUND 4 (AROZARENA): This is well past his ADP and even well past his recent max. Will he regress - yes (has to as he was insane). But 25/25 is definitely in play and as I look to get speed he's too attractive a risk.
        ROUND 5 (HENDRIKS): Rather than go SP in this tier, I'll jump on the chance to add one of the few elite closers. This is huge and allows me to sit on this category until late teens to shore up other areas. I would have taken Hader as well but just prefer Hendriks's situation.
        ROUND 6 (WHEELER): Pretty happy to get him here. Good ratios and decent K rate.
        ROUND 7 (BUXTON): Problem with the wheel is the 30 picks in between your 2. I've mentioned before that I like to build up speed early in drafts and so wanted to grab Buxton here hoping for 25 bags and maybe a lot more as we saw more power LY and there is still the chance he puts it together....
        ROUND 8 (MARTINEZ): The SPs I would have considered got picked so I decided to double tap power. JD fell way too far in this league and while I don't love UT only guys this is a 2nd/3rd round guy from just a few years ago and I for one am taking him for his word that he was simply not prepared LY and will bounce back in a big way.
        ROUND 9 (MOUSTAKAS): Maybe I was a year early on Moose in CIN as I overdrafted him in the NFBC LY and get him several rounds later TY. I also am expecting positive regression TY with Moustakas and like the 2B/1B eligibility. With these 2 picks I'm now in a very good spot with all my offensive counting categories and a strong BA to give me more flexibility. Now I'll need to turn attention to SP...
        ROUND 10 (D'ARNAUD): This was easy. I like having at least 1 good C in this format and (a) d'Arnaud was best available as Smith/Perez/Grandal/Vazquez were all taken in past 2 rounds and (b) I like d'Arnaud better than Grandal & Vazquez.
        ROUND 11 (SOLER): This was not as easy (though still kind of easy). Ideally I would have had a SP here I felt good about but there wasn't or at least not one that would be much different than ones I could get with my next few picks after this. Soler on the other hand gives me an incredibly strong base for offense now with a lot of power. #happy
        ROUND 12 (PRICE): Curse you snake draft! 30 picks is a long time between picks especially when you're rolling the dice on SP. Kluber/Taillon/Urquidy were all my targets and one by one they fell including a few right before me. I've already stated my feelings on Price so clearly this wasn't my plan but reality is that if he is pitching then he's usually pretty good. Ideally I pair him later with May &/or Gonsolin to at least secure stats.
        ROUND 13 (STROMAN): Kind of like mortgage backed securities, if you pair a bunch of risky assets together they eventually become AAA-rated right? Right?
        ROUND 14 (MCKENZIE): As a 5th SP I can live with this but this is one helluva risky pitching staff after the top-2
        ROUND 15 (MAY): Taking May as imo he reduces my risk with Price and worst case is an excellent spot starter for my 6th SP
        ROUND 16 (DOZIER): Qualifies today at 1B and OF but will add 3B quickly. Contract extension provides security to be in the lineup and better on a rebound.
        ROUND 17 (HICKS): Yankee fan. But, reports are he might back 3rd in that lineup and if that's true all his projections are way light imo.
        ROUND 18 (SALE): Just need 80-90 good innings Chris. That plus whoever I fill-in with should = value for this spot as my 7th SP.
        ROUND 19 (PEDERSON): Happy to get Joc this late. Might prefer him to not hit against LHP but then there isn't much LHP in NL Central.
        ROUND 20 (LECLERC): Do I think Leclerc is a good closer? No. Do I think he has a job "right now"? Yes. In most recent 7 drafts, his ADP is 244. I got him at 300. So if nothing else he's cheap.
        ROUND 21 (ANDRUS): Was torn in several directions here. Another spec closer? Votto? Schoop? Wander Franco? Nah. I need a backup SS so prefer that to be MI and while I like Crawford later I also wanted another ~15 SBs on my roster. If Andrus ends up hitting some leadoff, well even better. But safe which is in stark contrast to the majority of my team....
        ROUND 22 (SCHOOP): Took Schoop in the 19th rd in my last draft so if nothing else this is value. Allows me to be more flexible now with multi position guys in Dozier & Moose.
        ROUND 23 (MARTIN): Still think he will get more than a handful of saves in the ATL pen as the most prominent RHP
        ROUND 24 (STALLINGS): Decent catcher with a secure job
        ROUND 25 (SYNDERGAARD): Like with Sale, I'll take half a season and manage the first half with middle relief and streamers
        ROUND 26 (PACHE): Same commentary as my first draft
        ROUND 27 (GARCIA): Same commentary as my first draft
        ROUND 28 (MORAN): Needed a bench 1B and as the LH platoon guy felt more secure about his ABs than Renato Nunez. Each would have been fine.
        ROUND 29 (STEPHENSON): Was going to go Adley but then figured better to diversify and take the other good-bay prospect C for my bench.
        ROUND 30 (YIMI): Ideally I pair him for Floro a few rounds later. Dart throw.
        ROUND 31 (J. RODRIGUEZ): Handcuff to Leclerc now that Hernandez is broken...
        ROUND 32 (BROSSEAU): Lot of intriguing young arms I'm tempted by but Brosseau plays everywhere and crushes it in MLB The Show
        ROUND 33 (DOBNAK): This was not one of said intriguing young arms. But, he will likely get innings for a good team in a weak division.
        ROUND 34 (BUMMER): Wanted Josh Jung but he gone. Oh well, guess guess I'll handcuff my closer
        ROUND 35 (L. GARCIA): Really like this guy. Not sure he'll get starts but HOU rotation has questions.
        ROUND 36 (C. MARTIN): Pretty sure he gets meaningful innings in AZ. Pretty sure they will be palatable. Pretty sure...
        ROUND 37 (BLEDAY): At some point he'll be up in MIA and so worth a shot as an extra OF
        ROUND 38 (WEBB): Think he's in the rotation most of the year. Might have some useful spot starts at home....against COL.
        ROUND 39 (TORKELSON): Why not
        ROUND 40 (MARSH): Got him later than in my first draft but then, now he's injured....
        ROUND 41 (INDIA): Seems pretty likely to be playing later this year in Cincy. And, my wife's a Gator...
        ROUND 42 (FLORO): Taking 2 shares in the MIA pen behind Bass
        ROUND 43 (HATCH): Eno seems to like him...
        ROUND 44 (MERRYWEATHER): ...and him too.
        ROUND 45 (DETMERS): Angels will need SP and their 2020 1st round pick is MLB ready
        ROUND 46 (CONTRERAS): Cather piggy-back with d'Arnaud. Willson's brother though is pretty good all on his own too if/when given the chance.
        ROUND 47 (TUCKER): Qualifies at OF but should gain SS eligibility quickly. He'll play semi-regularly in PIT but needs to take a pretty big development step (non-zero chance) to be in consideration here as anything more than an emergency fill-in.
        ROUND 48 (TEPERA): Craig Kimbrel is not good.
        ROUND 49 (BALAZOVIC): I think Minnesota is going to need more SP as the season goes on and while I'm really not sure they will call up Balazovic he is their top pitching prospect so decent speculation at this point.
        ROUND 50 (H. RAMOS): Mr. Irrelevant 2021. Or is he?......

CLOSING THOUGHTS POST-DRAFT:
        REALLY happy with how this team turned out. Had some things fall my way (JD Martinez in the 8th comes to mind as well as LeClerc in the 20th) but then I also maybe hit on my 41st pick with Jonathan India now getting looks for Opening Day. Offense is stacked and I feel like I have enough SP but you just never know. Would be nice if I can get a half season out of both Sale & Thor but won't know about them until June at best. Should have enough to bide my time but you need a lot of luck in these things so now its just a waiting game to see if the team I "think I drafted" is as good as it appears. Definitely prefer this to my first draft and likely my 3rd but too early to make that call as its only in the late teens while I write this.

RUNNING TOTALS FROM ROTOLAB IN TERMS OF COUNTING AND RATE STATS:
        BA = .263
        HR = 352
        R = 1091
        RBI = 1074
        SB = 118

W = 73
        S = 50
        K = 1188
        ERA = 3.66
        WHIP = 1.21
        Last edited by Big Tymer; 03-16-2021, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Awesome - way to get the #1 pick! I don't even really want it - my top few KDS slots are usually 4-3-2-1 or even 5-4-3-2-1 because I really don't feel strongly about any of those guys. In my ongoing draft (which I haven't had time to write up, Woodruff went 2.14 and I'm sure that crushed the guy on the wheel (he went Tucker/Devers, which is interesting... then his 4/5 was Strasburg and Edwin Diaz)

Comment

Late to the party, but I get that you pivoted specifically in response to others reaching for pitching, and I get the overall logic of taking proven bats over middle tier arms, but in hindsight, boy, would I have loved to have taken Bieber round 1 instead of Yelich given the rest of your draft. Your offense would still be killer, and you'd have one of the very rare (top 3) staff anchors to build around. But at that point, you did not know that so many would be reaching for arms. Still, I'd have taken the Biebs at that pick anyway. Outside of the top 5 or so bats, my target would be one of the top trio or aces, and then to employ your wait for other pitching strategy and load up on bats. That fact that someone reached for Bauer ahead of Bieber would have made me all the more eager to snatch up Bieber at pick 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
              Exactly. Yankee staff is full of question marks so fired 3 bullets at it and maybe a 4th if I get Schmidt later. Someone will win games, just not sure who.
              I am invested in Deivi, so I am rooting for him, but I can't quit Klubot. I think he could have a good year.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                Late to the party, but I get that you pivoted specifically in response to others reaching for pitching, and I get the overall logic of taking proven bats over middle tier arms, but in hindsight, boy, would I have loved to have taken Bieber round 1 instead of Yelich given the rest of your draft. Your offense would still be killer, and you'd have one of the very rare (top 3) staff anchors to build around. But at that point, you did not know that so many would be reaching for arms. Still, I'd have taken the Biebs at that pick anyway. Outside of the top 5 or so bats, my target would be one of the top trio or aces, and then to employ your wait for other pitching strategy and load up on bats. That fact that someone reached for Bauer ahead of Bieber would have made me all the more eager to snatch up Bieber at pick 12.
                eager Bieber?

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                  eager Bieber?
                  I see what I accidently did there .

Comment

I am invested in Deivi, so I am rooting for him, but I can't quit Klubot. I think he could have a good year.
                    Klubot's ceiling is capped due to the ~ 140 total pitches he will throw this season.
                    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                      Klubot's ceiling is capped due to the ~ 140 total pitches he will throw this season.
                      Ha, well, played. This is why we should spend big on the top 3-5 guys and don't reach for anyone else!

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                        Awesome - way to get the #1 pick! I don't even really want it - my top few KDS slots are usually 4-3-2-1 or even 5-4-3-2-1 because I really don't feel strongly about any of those guys. In my ongoing draft (which I haven't had time to write up, Woodruff went 2.14 and I'm sure that crushed the guy on the wheel (he went Tucker/Devers, which is interesting... then his 4/5 was Strasburg and Edwin Diaz)
                        I would LOVE if Woodruff or even Flaherty fell to me.....

Comment

....would I have loved to have taken Bieber round 1 instead of Yelich given the rest of your draft. Your offense would still be killer, and you'd have one of the very rare (top 3) staff anchors to build around....
                          Not wrong. Its always a guessing game and when I took Yelich I was still working with the idea I'd be taking a SP I liked in rounds 3 and/or 4 like I did LY. There were definitely times I could have taken an OF over the pitchers I took later and things would look very different at the top of my staff.

Comment

I have issues....Draft #3 (Draft 2 ongoing and on page 2)

****NFBC DRAFT #3****

OPENING THOUGHTS: NFBC gives you $25 off your third league so I'd be stupid not to right? As with first 2, basically went chalk KDS. Got my 11th preference which ended up the 9th pick. I like the middle but would have preferred top-8 as 9 might find me choosing between Yelich, Ramirez & Story as with my first draft. After doing a few of these, I just don't want to start a team build with a SP in Round 1. Really happy with how my first 2 drafts played out with my 2nd team offense appearing ridiculous in Rotolab once I entered everyone's team. So am expecting to do a similar team-build but with a middle pick I suspect the cast of characters might change a bit as I no longer have to wait 30 picks each time which will be nice. Now, just need to decide who I take in the first.....

ROSTER: Will list alternative positions for players who qualify at > 1 since positional flexibility is huge in a format like this
                            C (start 2): Contreras, Nola, Stallings, Campusano, Contreras
                            1B: Hosmer, Moreland
                            2B: Moustakas (1B), La Stella (1B)
                            SS: Bichette, Gimenez (2B/3B)
                            3B: Rendon, Seager, India (2B), Welker
                            OF: Yelich, Robert, Pederson, McCutchen, Reynolds, Profar (2B), Fowler, Bleday, Haseley, Waters, Ramos
                            SP: Paddack, Urias, Musgrove, Taillon, Stroman, Pineda, Syndergaard, Severino, Archer, Morejon, Gant, Martin, Schmidt, Detmers, L. Garcia, Liberatore
                            CL/RP: Chapman, Martin, Clase, Wittgren, Barlow, Rainey, Rodriguez, Curtiss

PICK COMMENTARY: Will add commentary here vs. posts to make this easier to read / follow
                            ROUND 1 (YELICH): As expected Turner & Trout went right before my pick. For reasons stated in first draft, I prefer Yelich to choices available.
                            ROUND 2 (BICHETTE): Would have gone Harper as in draft #1 but he went right before my pick. Not sure I buy the projections with 20+ SBs for Bichette but love the player so will grab the SS now.
                            ROUND 3 (ROBERT): Surprised that Lou-Bob was here as this was basically his recent max but I'll take power + speed wherever I can and grab someone for average soon to balance this out.
                            ROUND 4 (RENDON): Several picks beyond Rendon's max and he fits my team build perfectly helping with the AVG while providing general awesomeness everyone else except for SBs which I'm good with.
                            ROUND 5 (CHAPMAN): Someone beat me to Berrios (asshole) so decided to pivot and grab one of the elite RP in Chapman with focus on SP with next several picks. Can't really discern between Fried/Paddack/Luzardo/Pleasac/etc so will let the herd thin them out.
                            ROUND 6 (PADDACK): Everyone was gone except for Paddack so this one was easy. Not a 1 and maybe not a 2, but a good SP on a good team and I can work with that.
                            ROUND 7 (URIAS): Lot of helium but this is around where he's been going so imo not an overpay and I am biased to NL SPs on good teams.
                            ROUND 8 (MUSGROVE): Another NL pitcher on a good team. He's teased us with a breakout before but maybe we finally get one.
                            ROUND 9 (MOUSTAKAS): I like Mikey Moose. Anytime you can get power from MI it opens up so many other options to aggregate to the stats you need. Plus he can also be flexed to 1B or CI if the draft breaks a certain way.
                            ROUND 10 (CONTRERAS): Catchers have fallen in this NFBC draft compared to others which tempted me to wait but as per my other drafts I like having at least 1 rock between the 2 started Cs and so I'll grab Willson here and smile at getting him a round later than my first draft. That's a very long sentence....
                            ROUND 11 (GIMENEZ): Projections haven't caught up to coach-speak that he has the job in Cleveland. His 20+ SBs get me to my goal and with 3 eligible positions gives me tons of flexibility
                            ROUND 12 (HOSMER): I like Hosmer but not someone I necessarily target often. But with SBs locked up, I calculated that need about 20 HRs from each remaining position and Hosmer will give me that and a better average than Hoskins who was also considered here.
                            ROUND 13 (TAILLON): I like SPs on good teams and Taillon checks both. Will see if he can say healthy all year but he's someone I've always liked and happy to grab him here.
                            ROUND 14 (STROMAN): OFs are getting thinned out but really wanted to grab my #5 SP as I expect a lot of teams to start shifting attention to SP and 16 picks is a long time to wait.
                            ROUND 15 (PEDERSON): This is about 20 picks above his MIN or ~2 rounds higher than ADP. But, I need OF and power so at some point you draft the guy that helps your team the most as I've been burned thinking that guy might still be around "next time". Got Joc in the 19th in my last draft but am perfectly fine taking him here based on my current team needs.
                            ROUND 16 (MCCUTCHEN): Was able to grab 2 OF back-to-back with McCutchen falling to me. Leading off for Phillies, that's a lot of counting stats.
                            ROUND 17 (PINEDA): Considered several directions here but SPs went off the board in consecutive picks before me and wasn't sure what would be left after the turn. For me it was Pineda vs. Odorizzi here and even considered Freddy Peralta. But Pineda seemed safest and the way my staff is that made the most sense for my #6 SP.
                            ROUND 18 (REYNOLDS): OF went on a run so grabbed a guy I liked who also fits my team build as I think Reynolds can get his average back up above the .280 mark after a down season. Is he a sexy pick? No. But he'll play and hit high in the order and ABs matter in deep leagues.
                            ROUND 19 (NOLA): ~100 picks past his recent MAX. That to me is plenty of a discount considering this should just be a several week injury based on latest I've read (still practicing on the field). Plus, I plan to take a 3rd catcher usually by 30th round so can plan for time missed in early April.
                            ROUND 20 (SEAGER): I need a CI who will get me over 20 HRs. Seager fits nicely.
                            ROUND 21 (MARTIN): Still think its a closer committee in the ATL
                            ROUND 22 (SYNDERGAARD): Early but people are jumping ADP and I like the idea of piggy-backing an injured SP with a reliever / relief arm to aggregate stats
                            ROUND 23 (SEVERINO): See above
                            ROUND 24 (LA STELLA): Based on Rotolab my offense leads in almost all the hitting categories but needed AVG. So bypassing some others I like to grab La Stella and his nice AVG and multi-position eligibility
                            ROUND 25 (PROFAR): Bench bat / first-man up who qualifies at OF & 2B so lots of flexibility. Still think he finds 450+ ABs at the $ he's getting.
                            ROUND 26 (CLASE): Fired a bullet at the Cleveland pen as Karinchak is wild and no sure thing....
                            ROUND 27 (WITTGREN): ...and then fired another in case the first one missed.
                            ROUND 28 (ARCHER): I like his new haircut
                            ROUND 29 (STALLINGS): Couldn't let my boy Stallings sit in the green room any longer. Strong C3.
                            ROUND 30 (MOREJON): Seems to be starting as the #5 to open the season. Probably doesn't have more than 100 innings in his arm this year but could be a nice bridge until my TJ starters come back.
                            ROUND 31 (INDIA): Betting this whole Suarez as a SS thing pans out
                            ROUND 32 (MORELAND): Safe bench power bat I hope I'll never use
                            ROUND 33 (BARLOW): Staumont was already gone but will throw a dart at the KC bullpen all the same since can't see a whole year of Holland
                            ROUND 34 (RAINEY): If nothing else, he's a really good arm. Could be more as Hand had questions coming into LY.
                            ROUND 35 (GANT): Was watching a Cardinals game earlier this week and the broadcast showed Gant in the dugout. He had the most ornate and ridiculous braided hairdo I've ever seen. Oh, and pretty good pitcher too who's opening the year in the rotation.
                            ROUND 36 (FOWLER): He's starting right now and as a secondary reserve OF that's enough.
                            ROUND 37 (BLEDAY): Was planning on taking Corbin Martin here but then Marsh got picked right before me (damn!) so grabbed Bleday to have a likely-2021 prospect OF on the bench
                            ROUND 38 (MARTIN): Corbin was still there me. I might be President of his fan club apparently....
                            ROUND 39 (J. RODRIGUEZ): Matt Bush? Ian Kennedy? Call me skeptical so give me a share of the guy who might actually be good.
                            ROUND 40 (CAMPUSANO): Handcuff to Nola and a fantastic young catcher in his own right.
                            ROUND 41 (SCHMIDT): Reports are that he'll start throwing soon so will grab a share and also try and grab King later
                            ROUND 42 (HASELEY): CF is still open in Philly and Adam's back on the field. If nothing else he's a handcuff to Cutch.
                            ROUND 43 (CURTISS): Some people think he's a darkhorse for saves in MIA.
                            ROUND 44 (DETMERS): He was a near major league ready arm at the draft last year. And its the Angels.
                            ROUND 45 (WELKER): Who knows but Josh Fuentes is hardly standing in anyone's way.
                            ROUND 46 (L. GARCIA): Good arm. No sure if he'll have a meaningful role or not.
                            ROUND 47 (WATERS): I don't even like Drew Waters but there is a definite scenario where he comes up and is an asset in the OF so....
                            ROUND 48 (CONTRERAS PART DEUX): Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
                            ROUND 49 (RAMOS): Talented OF on a team that may need him later this year. Great spring.
                            ROUND 50 (LIBERATORE): Last year my dart throw in NFBC was Triston McKenzie. Here I'll bet on a team with a weak SP staff and a good, but very young, SP prospect who had a nice spring.

CLOSING THOUGHTS POST-DRAFT: This team makes me happy. I waited on SP much like my first draft but feel better about the sum of the parts as I think the extra weeks of ST allowed me to draft with a bit more confidence about roles. While I waited on SP, I feel like I built a really strong top-6 and then have 2 of the 3 TJ guys in Severino & Thor in hopes 1 pans out. Then I have depth beyond that in hopes that someone pops. I executed the same Closer strategy of grabbing 1 and then building a stockpile of others who can easily step up in the right scenario (and someone in Wittgren who might do so sooner than later). Got lucky with C depth in that Nola fell extremely late as we were drafting before a lot of info was out and I think people were thinking his finger injury was like Framber's vs. what I had read which was just a couple of week-deal. Huge value and then Stallings as an extremely strong #3. OF is probably where I have depth concerns but I like my starting 5 and then Profar for emergencies. But beyond that I'll need one of the young guys to work out should injuries strike. At least I didn't draft Eloy anywhere....

RUNNING TOTALS FROM ROTOLAB IN TERMS OF COUNTING AND RATE STATS:
                            BA = .266
                            HR = 330
                            R = 1139
                            RBI = 1085
                            SB = 132

W = 73
                            S = 38
                            K = 1144
                            ERA = 3.77
                            WHIP = 1.19
                            Last edited by Big Tymer; 03-25-2021, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Alright - 3 drafts complete! Here is a summary of the teams if anyone wants to weigh in. Not sure we have a winner here but the process for building each team was very consistent. Players just will vary based on draft slot and who else the room liked:

TEAM #1 ROSTER:
                              C (start 2): W. Contreras, Stallings, Rutschman, Romine, Campusano
                              1B: Hoskins, Santana, Pujols
                              2B: Albies, Schoop, Brujan
                              SS: Anderson, Fletcher (2B/SS/3B)
                              3B: Suarez, Ruiz, N. Jones
                              OF: Yelich, Harper, Robles, A. Garcia, Upton, Pache, G. Polanco, Marsh, Bleday, Lowe
                              SP: Berrios, Luzardo, Urias, Kluber, Urquidy, May, Kim, D. Garcia, Severino, Martinez, Patino, Whitley, Webb, McHugh, J. Duran, Kirby, Gray
                              CL/RP: Colome, Martin, Fairbanks, Clase, Wick, Workman, Stashak

TEAM #2 ROSTER:
                              C (start 2): d'Arnaud, Stallings, Stephenson, Contreras
                              1B: Dozier (OF/3B), Moran, Torkelson
                              2B: Moustakas (1B), Schoop, India
                              SS: Tatis, Andrus
                              3B: LeMahieu (2B/1B), Brosseau (1B/2B)
                              OF: Arozarena, Buxton, Soler, Hicks, Pederson, Pache, Bleday, Marsh, C. Tucker (SS), H. Ramos
                              UT: JD Martinez
                              SP: Flaherty, Wheeler, Price, Stroman, McKenzie, May, Sale, Syndergaard, Garcia, Dobnak, L. Garcia, C. Martin, Webb, Hatch, Detmers, Balazovic
                              CL/RP: Hendriks, Leclerc, Martin, Y. Garcia, J. Rodriguez, Bummer, Floro, Merryweather, Tepera

TEAM #3 ROSTER:
                              C (start 2): Contreras, Nola, Stallings, Campusano, Contreras
                              1B: Hosmer, Moreland
                              2B: Moustakas (1B), La Stella (1B)
                              SS: Bichette, Gimenez (2B/3B)
                              3B: Rendon, Seager, India (2B), Welker
                              OF: Yelich, Robert, Pederson, McCutchen, Reynolds, Profar (2B), Fowler, Bleday, Haseley, Waters, Ramos
                              SP: Paddack, Urias, Musgrove, Taillon, Stroman, Pineda, Syndergaard, Severino, Archer, Morejon, Gant, Martin, Schmidt, Detmers, L. Garcia, Liberatore
                              CL/RP: Chapman, Martin, Clase, Wittgren, Barlow, Rainey, Rodriguez, Curtiss

Comment

I like all of them... not a ton of guaranteed saves on any of them, and all a bit light on top-end SPs, but you're much better at getting speed than I am.

Comment

Working...
                                X