Stupid health insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid health insurance

My wife has been having some strange symptoms lately, a nervous twitch, similar to parkinson's but not as frequent. She's been in to the doctor several times. Eventually the doctor sent her to get 2 MRIs. One for her brain, one for her neck. The brain one was approved, neck denied. They said we could fight it, but we did not have time, we are trying to get this resolved. So we paid for the neck one out of pocket.

Guess what, she has a problem in her neck and requires surgery very soon with a risk of paralysis if she doesn't get it done. But our insurance thought it wasn't needed. Stupid, stupid insurance.

So now we paid out of pocket for the MRI, AND we have to pay for the deductible on the surgery. If insurance had *correctly* paid for the MRI, we would be all set with our deductible.

Why do I pay for insurance when they can just go against our doctor's recommendations and deny a test that was going to say that my wife could be paralyzed if we didn't do it?!?

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    My wife has been having some strange symptoms lately, a nervous twitch, similar to parkinson's but not as frequent. She's been in to the doctor several times. Eventually the doctor sent her to get 2 MRIs. One for her brain, one for her neck. The brain one was approved, neck denied. They said we could fight it, but we did not have time, we are trying to get this resolved. So we paid for the neck one out of pocket.

Guess what, she has a problem in her neck and requires surgery very soon with a risk of paralysis if she doesn't get it done. But our insurance thought it wasn't needed. Stupid, stupid insurance.

So now we paid out of pocket for the MRI, AND we have to pay for the deductible on the surgery. If insurance had *correctly* paid for the MRI, we would be all set with our deductible.

Why do I pay for insurance when they can just go against our doctor's recommendations and deny a test that was going to say that my wife could be paralyzed if we didn't do it?!?
    Sorry to hear the frustration, but happy you caught this in time. Wish her the best--you too.

yeah Insurance is a mess in this country no doubt. Hopefully it will start down the path of common sense soon.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Sorry to hear, Ken. Hope all turns out well on the medical side (obviously).

Health insurance companies are the worst. Eveeeery year, they try to give my wife the generic instead of Synthroid. And eveeeeery year, she has to get the same note from her doctor that the generic gives her heart palpitations. They just assume most people won’t bother to challenge. I had surgery a few years ago and they wouldn’t pay a follow up visit to the surgeon because it wasn’t “medically necessary.” Apparently you’re not supposed to have any follow up with your surgeon after the operation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

That sounds really frustrating to say the least. Hope the surgery and recovery go well
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Health insurance companies are evil.

I hope everything goes well for your wife Ken.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I echo what everyone else has said. Really glad you caught it. Health insurance is such a flustercuck in this country. It is a bloated, costly, heartless mess of a system.
            Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-07-2021, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              I echo what everyone else has said. Really glad you caught it. Health insurance is such a flusterfuck in this country. It is a bloated, costly, heartless mess of a system.
              *flustercuck
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Echoing what everyone else said, and hope it works out okay.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

A lot of companies offer a fringe benefit of concierge medical/insurance assistance. Basically, you tell them the insurance company is being difficult on this and they will spend the time fighting it for you. It's the kind of benefit that when you first get hired you read about and immediately forget, but things like this, and legal advice and whatnot are great to take advantage of.

Not saying you had this, but my bet is more than a few of us do and have completely forgotten or ignored it.

Glad someone caught it. T&P for your wife.
                  I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Hope everything works out.

After my first surgery to repair my torn labrum, insurance (United Healthcare) approved all of 9 PT sessions when prescribed therapy from surgeon was 3x a week for 3 months.

Most recently, my son's doctor ordered a test, said most patients are charged no more than $300 on it, and we got a bill for $5000 because insurance said they didn't have enough time to evaluate the request.

Can't wait until we're closer to universal healthcare

Comment

I saw this and it reminded me of this thread. If you like your health insurance you can keep it, I guess. And if you don't like it you can also keep it.

Dignity Health said its employee, an ER nurse, failed to meet the deadline to add her premature newborn to its health plan, so she was responsible for the medical bills. It rejected her appeals for a year until ProPublica called.

Lauren Bard opened the hospital bill this month and her body went numb. In bold block letters it said, “AMOUNT DUE: $898,984.57.”

Last fall, Bard’s daughter, Sadie, had arrived about three months prematurely; and as a nurse herself, Bard knew the costs for Sadie’s care would be high. But she’d assumed the bulk would be covered by the organization that owned the hospital where she worked: Dignity Health, whose marketing motto is “Hello humankindness.”
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                        I saw this and it reminded me of this thread. If you like your health insurance you can keep it, I guess. And if you don't like it you can also keep it.

Dignity Health said its employee, an ER nurse, failed to meet the deadline to add her premature newborn to its health plan, so she was responsible for the medical bills. It rejected her appeals for a year until ProPublica called.

Lauren Bard opened the hospital bill this month and her body went numb. In bold block letters it said, “AMOUNT DUE: $898,984.57.”

Last fall, Bard’s daughter, Sadie, had arrived about three months prematurely; and as a nurse herself, Bard knew the costs for Sadie’s care would be high. But she’d assumed the bulk would be covered by the organization that owned the hospital where she worked: Dignity Health, whose marketing motto is “Hello humankindness.”
                        Confused...did she or did she NOT have health insurance? If no, why in the world would you expect an employer to cover your bills just because they have a cutesy slogan?
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          Confused...did she or did she NOT have health insurance? If no, why in the world would you expect an employer to cover your bills just because they have a cutesy slogan?
                          You could try reading the article, lol. I suspect it would answer your question.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            You could try reading the article, lol. I suspect it would answer your question.
                            Or you could just answer the question, but that seems to be out of the question.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              Or you could just answer the question, but that seems to be out of the question.
                              She had health insurance.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                              X