Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 35 of 35

Thread: Gettin it Done.

  1. #31
    All Star Sour Masher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fantasyland
    Posts
    8,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Well, Biden managed to cut the amount of folks eligible for the $1400 stimmy check by 17 million from the batch Trump gave the $600 checks to, so Biden just made 17 million others pissed off in the way you are. Super smart, austerity politics in the midst of a global crisis.

    I've been waiting ages for somebody to bring up cutting the $15/hr minimum wage. If you all think Biden is going to keep his high approval ratings and not get destroyed if he abandons the minimum wage increase, you're smoking stronger stuff than I am. The bullshit excuse of the Senate Parliamentarian recommendations is so laughable. They're trying to pretend this person has authority when it's just a recommendation. Kamala Harris could overrule the recommendation, but she has signaled she won't. That's a very bad move for her own future ambitions. If you want to fuck over the progressives they'll come for your head.

    Now, I will state this publicly. If Biden passes a $15/hr minimum wage with a 5 year or less phase in, I will praise him to high heaven and change my avatar back to one praising Biden. That's how certain I am he will fail, but I hope I'm wrong!

    But I'm sure it will be something like a $12/hr federal minimum wage, phased in over 10 years, or some such nonsense. Like Kamala's primary campaign proposal of M4A phased in over 10 years which sunk like a rock as soon as she announced it. Transparent bullshit that won't pass the smell test for most voters who get screwed over like Sour Masher did, only they're living below poverty. Good work, yep, gonna crush the midterms.
    I hope you are wrong about min wage, but I fear you are right. I think Biden cares more about that than the 17 million that got burnt on this stimulus, so I think he will fight for it more, but so far, his ability and willingness to stand up to repub and "moderate" dems has not impressed me.

    I will say ahead of time that while I'd be disappointed in a half measure on min wage, the fact that it has been frozen for so long as this gets debated is so egregious, even a half measure of $12 would be a hell of a lot better than another 4 plus years of it stuck at 7.25. I do not get why it has been stuck there so long. It is below historic averages adjusted for inflation, and has been for awhile. He should fight for 15 and every dollar below that is a loss. My psychological disgust factor would be really high below 12, since that would be no real victory, since repubs and moderate dems are cool with 11 or so now. So, what great victory is there if he doesn't get it to higher than that?

  2. #32
    Journeyman Teenwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Thunder Bay, ON, CAN
    Posts
    3,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I hope you are wrong about min wage, but I fear you are right. I think Biden cares more about that than the 17 million that got burnt on this stimulus, so I think he will fight for it more, but so far, his ability and willingness to stand up to repub and "moderate" dems has not impressed me.

    I will say ahead of time that while I'd be disappointed in a half measure on min wage, the fact that it has been frozen for so long as this gets debated is so egregious, even a half measure of $12 would be a hell of a lot better than another 4 plus years of it stuck at 7.25. I do not get why it has been stuck there so long. It is below historic averages adjusted for inflation, and has been for awhile. He should fight for 15 and every dollar below that is a loss. My psychological disgust factor would be really high below 12, since that would be no real victory, since repubs and moderate dems are cool with 11 or so now. So, what great victory is there if he doesn't get it to higher than that?
    The victory is supposed to be "look, we said we were going to do bipartisanship, and we delivered!"

    It all goes back to my current signature.
    "My favourite is when Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi say "we need a strong Republican party." And I'm like, "um, well, I don’t. Not sure why you do." And then I realized why they do need a strong Republican party. Because if there was no Republican party, even if you were a fan of the Democrats, you would be like "hey, now what's holding you back from doing good policy if there's no opposition?" Because they'd be revealed as frauds." - Judah Friedlander

  3. #33
    All Star The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    9,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I hope you are wrong about min wage, but I fear you are right. I think Biden cares more about that than the 17 million that got burnt on this stimulus, so I think he will fight for it more, but so far, his ability and willingness to stand up to repub and "moderate" dems has not impressed me.

    I will say ahead of time that while I'd be disappointed in a half measure on min wage, the fact that it has been frozen for so long as this gets debated is so egregious, even a half measure of $12 would be a hell of a lot better than another 4 plus years of it stuck at 7.25. I do not get why it has been stuck there so long. It is below historic averages adjusted for inflation, and has been for awhile. He should fight for 15 and every dollar below that is a loss. My psychological disgust factor would be really high below 12, since that would be no real victory, since repubs and moderate dems are cool with 11 or so now. So, what great victory is there if he doesn't get it to higher than that?
    4 years ? hmmm....been a bit longer than that I think.

  4. #34
    All Star The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    9,591
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    4 years ? hmmm....been a bit longer than that I think.
    It's pathetic how long it's been since the minimum wage was increased. Blame whoever you want, it's just sad.

  5. #35
    All Star madducks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    Posts
    6,888
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    It's pathetic how long it's been since the minimum wage was increased. Blame whoever you want, it's just sad.
    People getting paid that amount have to work 2 or 3 jobs to just barely get above the poverty level. And some people even get married to someone they don't really love just to add a second household income and share health benefits. It's why kids have to live with their parents a lot longer than they want to.

    And the loophole that allows restaurants to pay their wait staff below minimum wage because they receive tips needs to be eliminated.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

    ― Albert Einstein

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •