Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many pitchers / general 50-round draft roster makeup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many pitchers / general 50-round draft roster makeup?

Curious how many pitchers (and what mix) you'd typically draft for a 50 round draft and hold (NFBC style).

Last year my NFBC team ended up with more RPs than I could really use, even though I did get a lot of saves out of the deal. At the same time, I frequently found myself short on exciting back-end SP options for a given week. (Looking back, I had about 12 SPs and 12 RPs, so I should have probably seen that coming... but all of the SP options were so bad that I just kept picking RPs. And my SPs ended up being really good, and it was actually my offense that sucked, but that's a different story.)

So it's kind of a double-edged sword... draft a ton of RPs and speculate on saves, or draft crappy SPs and hope they hit? Or do neither and end up with a ton of bats?

My first 50-round draft team this year has 17 SPs and 7 RPs so I've probably swung too far in the other direction. But I think generally, 22-25 pitchers is probably the range you want?

17/7 seems about right. I'm usually in that range.
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

I'd probably go50/50. I have more faith in my ability to pick bats than I do the ability of arms to stay healthy and consistent.

Comment

I always shot for 15/9 on the pitchers or something close to that.

For the rest, I go:

4 C
        3 1B, 3B
        3 2B, SS
        1 MI
        1 CI
        8 OF

Some wiggle room in there, of course, but that's the general plan.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
          I always shot for 15/9 on the pitchers or something close to that.

For the rest, I go:

4 C
          3 1B, 3B
          3 2B, SS
          1 MI
          1 CI
          8 OF

Some wiggle room in there, of course, but that's the general plan.
          You need to go much deeper offensively than this in my opinion. This is why in the draft champions format it is so vitally important to get multi-eligible players (and in most cases, severely downgrade the DH only types). Only having 4 CI and 4 MI is a recipe for disaster in my experience.

Multi-eligibles (IF/OF is huge), and I would not carry 4 catchers. The odds that the 4th catcher is a positive value player even if you use him is really slim. Usually it is better to start an injured catcher than the 4th one, because it opens up a better offensive spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
            You need to go much deeper offensively than this in my opinion. This is why in the draft champions format it is so vitally important to get multi-eligible players (and in most cases, severely downgrade the DH only types). Only having 4 CI and 4 MI is a recipe for disaster in my experience.
            That's actually 7 CI and 7 MI (3 each of 1B, 3B, 2B, SS plus one MI and one CI extra).

I believe strongly that pitching is where you can really get screwed on your depth. Honestly, I may shift to drafting even more pitchers than 50/50. Haven't decided yet.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

That's actually 7 CI and 7 MI (3 each of 1B, 3B, 2B, SS plus one MI and one CI extra).

I believe strongly that pitching is where you can really get screwed on your depth. Honestly, I may shift to drafting even more pitchers than 50/50. Haven't decided yet.
              You know, i read your breakdown the wrong way...im dumb lol

Comment

I usually draft around 45-55% pitchers, so I agree, but I got destroyed on OF in this format a few times.

Comment

I usually draft around 45-55% pitchers, so I agree, but I got destroyed on OF in this format a few times.
                  Yeah, it's like Murphy's Law. If you go light on OF, it's a guarantee you'll have all your outfield guys get injured in the first week. Light on pitching, it's TJ surgeries all around! Trying to hedge your bets can be tough.

Comment

I always screw up one position. Even keeping track of things pretty closely. My first draft this year it's 1B. Just didn't get quite enough depth.

Comment

Multi-eligibles (IF/OF is huge), and I would not carry 4 catchers. The odds that the 4th catcher is a positive value player even if you use him is really slim. Usually it is better to start an injured catcher than the 4th one, because it opens up a better offensive spot.
                      Does anyone know what 2021 eligibility will be (#of games) for NBFC this year?
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Nevermind--it will be 7.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                          Does anyone know what 2021 eligibility will be (#of games) for NBFC this year?
                          Seven games. It will be listed correctly in the draft room. Here is a tool to derive 2021 eligibilities. There may be a couple of discrepancies with the NFBC for players with fewer than 7 games at a single position and played the same number say 3 at 2B and 3 at SS. The tool assigns eligibility to both, NFBC chooses one.

Instructions 1. Enter the number of games needed for eligiblity in CELL F1 on 2021 Eligiblity Tab 2. If the player did not play the minimum number of games at any single position, he's assigned eligibility at the position(s) he played the most 3. To print the results, Go to the File Tab in the U...
                          Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Just as an example, not necessarily of a good team, but of the breakdown you might end up with... my first Fantrax team:

C Varsho, D Jansen, F Mejia, Astudillo
                            1B Dom Smith, Mountcastle, Bobby Bradley
                            2B Altuve, HS Kim, H Alberto
                            SS Xander, HS Kim, Royce Lewis (W Castro)
                            3B W Castro, Longoria, Rio Ruiz
                            OF Betts, K Tucker, Brantley, I Happ, Nimmo, Hicks, Kiriloff, Ruf, B Zimmer, Fraley (Dom, Mountcastle, Varsho)
                            SP Lynn, Grienke, Price, Yarbrough, Dunning, Cease, Disco, Quintana, C-Mart, Gomber, Kuhl, Logan Webb, JT Brubaker, Hamels, Fiers, M Fulmer, Alex Young
                            RP Hader, Barnes, Bard, J Soria, T May, G Soto, Y Petit
                            UT Encarnacion

Oh, and I bet Varsho is also eligible at OF even though I didn't list him there.

Comment

Working...
                            X