2k21 Robbie Ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k21 Robbie Ray

He was atrocious last year. He was slightly less putrid in Toronto, and actually found more velocity on his FB. His K rate was still great, but his control was frighteningly bad--he threw a first pitch strike only half the time and walked 18% of batters he faced in 2020. That is as bad as you can get from a guy who somehow kept his job. Still, a pitcher with his ability to strike out batters, mostly with his plus slider, is always tantalizing, because if he can get just some of that control back, he has value again. So, where do you all land on Robbie Ray? Can he recapture his former glory, or are you socially distancing from him in 2021?

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    He was atrocious last year. He was slightly less putrid in Toronto, and actually found more velocity on his FB. His K rate was still great, but his control was frighteningly bad--he threw a first pitch strike only half the time and walked 18% of batters he faced in 2020. That is as bad as you can get from a guy who somehow kept his job. Still, a pitcher with his ability to strike out batters, mostly with his plus slider, is always tantalizing, because if he can get just some of that control back, he has value again. So, where do you all land on Robbie Ray? Can he recapture his former glory, or are you socially distancing from him in 2021?
    If he lands on the East Coast, I land in Hawaii...that's how far I want to socially distance from Robbie Ray.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      If he lands on the East Coast, I land in Hawaii...that's how far I want to socially distance from Robbie Ray.
      LOL....when he abandoned the shorter arm action, he reverted largely to what he was last year, mostly. So, there is hope at some profit at his current adp. Most projections show a bounce back to much less horrible than 2020.

Comment

if your freeze list really blows (like mine, but it's NL-only), Ray is one of the guys you buy cheap.

owners with good squads will hear the ticking louder than you will, which will help depress the bidding.

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          if your freeze list really blows (like mine, but it's NL-only), Ray is one of the guys you buy cheap.

owners with good squads will hear the ticking louder than you will, which will help depress the bidding.

I have the best freeze list in the league, but just traded my 15th/final guy for the 7th pick in my fypd. Now my best option at that spot is a $4 Joc Pederson, but my plan was to use one of my first round fypd picks for a better OFers than Joc...I have a mark all lined up (he would give any of Kyle Lewis, Anthony Santander or Randall Grichuk, all $5 for the 9th pick), but I am not certain how much of an upgrade those guys are over Joc, and I am getting dangerously close to going in the opposite direction and scoring another draft pick to take on the corpse of Robbie Ray, who is in the last year of his $15 contract. I am tempted by the idea of eating that contract, getting the high pick, gambling on a bounce back, or at least an early season one, and flipping him for something else, netting a high prospect pick for $15 in auction money (and that assumes I get nothing of value back for him), which is a fair swap, given the trade value of a top prospect later in the season.

It is a riskier play, but I am always able to convert top prospects to premium expiring contracts late in the season, and my team is good enough to contend until that point without one of those OFers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            This. Though Horns may be too close with Hawaii. His combination of durability and inability to throw strikes will take your WHIP to Hell, and he'll more than likely take your ERA to Purgatory, too. If I were a real GM of a franchise that had no chance of competing this year, I might like him to soak up innings. But on my fantasy team? No way. Not a chance. I'd rather get into an ugly political argument in the Sports Bar than have Robbie Ray on my team, and you've astutely noticed how far away I'm staying from political arguments.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              This. Though Horns may be too close with Hawaii. His combination of durability and inability to throw strikes will take your WHIP to Hell, and he'll more than likely take your ERA to Purgatory, too. If I were a real GM of a franchise that had no chance of competing this year, I might like him to soak up innings. But on my fantasy team? No way. Not a chance. I'd rather get into an ugly political argument in the Sports Bar than have Robbie Ray on my team, and you've astutely noticed how far away I'm staying from political arguments.
              I get it in roto. My league is a points league that heavily favors Ks, so he is less atrocious there. That is not to suggest he was anything but a total train wreck last year in my format--he was still one of the worst pitchers in all of baseball in our scoring system in 2020. However, the year before that, in our set up, he was pretty good. So, the calculation is, can he get back to that? I don't need a sub 1.3 whip or a sub 4 era for him to be good in my league as long as his K rate stays above 10 per 9. But you all have convinced me. I will wait to see where Joc lands, and will likely trade a pick to upgrade at some point, unless joc lands a most days job.
              Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-21-2021, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                I have the best freeze list in the league, but just traded my 15th/final guy for the 7th pick in my fypd. Now my best option at that spot is a $4 Joc Pederson, but my plan was to use one of my first round fypd picks for a better OFers than Joc...I have a mark all lined up (he would give any of Kyle Lewis, Anthony Santander or Randall Grichuk, all $5 for the 9th pick), but I am not certain how much of an upgrade those guys are over Joc, and I am getting dangerously close to going in the opposite direction and scoring another draft pick to take on the corpse of Robbie Ray, who is in the last year of his $15 contract. I am tempted by the idea of eating that contract, getting the high pick, gambling on a bounce back, or at least an early season one, and flipping him for something else, netting a high prospect pick for $15 in auction money (and that assumes I get nothing of value back for him), which is a fair swap, given the trade value of a top prospect later in the season.

It is a riskier play, but I am always able to convert top prospects to premium expiring contracts late in the season, and my team is good enough to contend until that point without one of those OFers.
                if what you are saying is that you like your team enough to get deliberately weaker on Opening Day, still expect to win, and also come out ahead for 2022 - well, I have never taken on the Rotisserie gods like that.

ymmv

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

if what you are saying is that you like your team enough to get deliberately weaker on Opening Day, still expect to win, and also come out ahead for 2022 - well, I have never taken on the Rotisserie gods like that.

ymmv
                  It's pretty freaking stacked .

Comment

the gods are not amused

this reminds me of the Seinfeld "roommate switch" episode

JERRY: So as you can see, I've got a bit of a problem here.

GEORGE: Well, if I hear you correctly--and I think that I do--my advice to you is to finish your meal, pay your check, leave here, and never mention this to anyone again.

JERRY: Can't be done, huh?

GEORGE: The Switch?

JERRY: "The Switch."

GEORGE: Can't be done.

JERRY: I wonder.

GEORGE: Do you realize in the entire history of western civilization no one has successfully accomplished the Roommate Switch? In the Middle Ages you could get locked up for even suggesting it!

JERRY: They didn't have roommates in the Middle Ages.

GEORGE: Well, I'm sure at some point between the years 800 and 1200--somewhere--there were two women living together.

JERRY: The point is I intend to undertake this. And I'll do it with or without you. So if you're scared, if you haven't got the stomach for this, let's get it out right now! And I'll go on my own. If not, you can get on board and we can get to work! Now what's it going to be?

GEORGE: All right, dammit, I'm in.

JERRY: I couldn't do it without you.

GEORGE: All right. Let's get to work.

GEORGE: All right. That's enough for today. You're tired. Get some sleep. I'll see you first thing in the morning.

JERRY: Aw, we can't do it, who are we kidding? It's impossible! It's true! You can't do the Switch! Nobody can do the Switch! It was a stupid idea to begin with! Let's face it. I'm stuck with the non-laugher and that's that.

GEORGE: We'll come up with something.

JERRY: Yeah, sure we will.

GEORGE: All right. See you tomorrow.

GEORGE: All right. Let's go over it again, one more time.

JERRY: All right. So I tell Sandy that I want to have a menage a trois with her and her roommate.

GEORGE: That's right.

JERRY: And you believe this course of action will have a two-pronged effect. Firstly, the very mention of the idea will cause Sandy to recoil in disgust, whereupon she will insist that I remove myself from the premises.

GEORGE: Keep going.

JERRY: At this point, it is inevitable that she will seek out the roommate to apprise her of this abhorrent turn of events.

GEORGE: Continue.

JERRY: The roommate will then offer her friend the requisite sympathy, even as part of her cannot help but feel somewhat flattered by her inclusion in the unusual request.

GEORGE: A few days go by and a call is placed at a time when Sandy is known to be busy at work. Once the initial awkwardness is relieved with a little playful humor, which she [Laura] of course cannot resist, an invitation to a friendly dinner is proffered.

JERRY: Huh. Well, it all sounds pretty good. There's only one flaw in it: They're roommates. She'd have to go out with me behind Sandy's back. She's not gonna do that.

GEORGE: You disappoint me, my friend. Sandy wants nothing to do with you. She tells Laura, "If you want to waste your time with that pervert, that's your problem."

JERRY: It's a perfect plan. So inspired. So devious. Yet so simple.

GEORGE: This is what I do.

JERRY: You know, I don't know the exact pronunciation but I believe its Manage A Trois.

SANDY: Oooo, that is a wild idea

JERRY: Uh?

GEORGE: Hey, what happened with Sandy. I forgot all about it. Did you call her?

JERRY: Yeah, I did. In fact I went over there.

GEORGE: So what happened? She throw you out? Eh?

JERRY: No actually, she took it pretty well.

GEORGE: So what happened?

JERRY: She's into it.

GEORGE: Into what?

JERRY: The menage. And not only that. She just called me and said she talked to the roommate and the roomate's into the manage too.

GEORGE: That's unbelievable.

JERRY: Oh, it's a scene, man.

GEORGE: Do you ever just get down on your knees and thank god that you know me and have access to my dementia?

JERRY: What are you talking about? I'm not goin' to do it.

GEORGE: You're not going to do it? What do you mean, You're not going to do it?

JERRY: I can't. I'm not an orgy guy.

GEORGE: Are you crazy? This is like discovering Plutonium ... by accident.

JERRY: Don't you know what it means to become an orgy guy? It changes everything. I'd have to dress different. I'd have to act different. I'd have to grow a mustache and get all kinds of robes and lotions and I'd need a new bedspread and new curtains I'd have to get thick carpeting and weirdo lighting. I'd have to get new friends. I'd have to get orgy friends. ... Naw, I'm not ready for it.

GEORGE: If only something like that could happen to me.

JERRY: Oh, shut up you couldn't do it either.

GEORGE: I know.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

the gods are not amused this reminds me of the Seinfeld "roommate switch" episode JERRY: So as you can see, I've got a bit of a problem here. GEORGE: Well, if I hear you correctly--and I think that I do--my advice to you is to finish your meal, pay your check, leave here, and never mention this to anyone again. JERRY: Can't be done, huh? GEORGE: The Switch? JERRY: "The Switch." GEORGE: Can't be done. JERRY: I wonder. GEORGE: Do you realize in the entire history of western civilization no one has successfully accomplished the Roommate Switch? In the Middle Ages you could get locked up for even suggesting it! JERRY: They didn't have roommates in the Middle Ages. GEORGE: Well, I'm sure at some point between the years 800 and 1200--somewhere--there were two women living together. JERRY: The point is I intend to undertake this. And I'll do it with or without you. So if you're scared, if you haven't got the stomach for this, let's get it out right now! And I'll go on my own. If not, you can get on board and we can get to work! Now what's it going to be? GEORGE: All right, dammit, I'm in. JERRY: I couldn't do it without you. GEORGE: All right. Let's get to work. ............... GEORGE: All right. That's enough for today. You're tired. Get some sleep. I'll see you first thing in the morning. JERRY: Aw, we can't do it, who are we kidding? It's impossible! It's true! You can't do the Switch! Nobody can do the Switch! It was a stupid idea to begin with! Let's face it. I'm stuck with the non-laugher and that's that. GEORGE: We'll come up with something. JERRY: Yeah, sure we will. GEORGE: All right. See you tomorrow. .............. GEORGE: All right. Let's go over it again, one more time. JERRY: All right. So I tell Sandy that I want to have a menage a trois with her and her roommate. GEORGE: That's right. JERRY: And you believe this course of action will have a two-pronged effect. Firstly, the very mention of the idea will cause Sandy to recoil in disgust, whereupon she will insist that I remove myself from the premises. GEORGE: Keep going. JERRY: At this point, it is inevitable that she will seek out the roommate to apprise her of this abhorrent turn of events. GEORGE: Continue. JERRY: The roommate will then offer her friend the requisite sympathy, even as part of her cannot help but feel somewhat flattered by her inclusion in the unusual request. GEORGE: A few days go by and a call is placed at a time when Sandy is known to be busy at work. Once the initial awkwardness is relieved with a little playful humor, which she [Laura] of course cannot resist, an invitation to a friendly dinner is proffered. JERRY: Huh. Well, it all sounds pretty good. There's only one flaw in it: They're roommates. She'd have to go out with me behind Sandy's back. She's not gonna do that. GEORGE: You disappoint me, my friend. Sandy wants nothing to do with you. She tells Laura, "If you want to waste your time with that pervert, that's your problem." JERRY: It's a perfect plan. So inspired. So devious. Yet so simple. GEORGE: This is what I do. ................ JERRY: You know, I don't know the exact pronunciation but I believe its Manage A Trois. SANDY: Oooo, that is a wild idea JERRY: Uh? .................. GEORGE: Hey, what happened with Sandy. I forgot all about it. Did you call her? JERRY: Yeah, I did. In fact I went over there. GEORGE: So what happened? She throw you out? Eh? JERRY: No actually, she took it pretty well. GEORGE: So what happened? JERRY: She's into it. GEORGE: Into what? JERRY: The menage. And not only that. She just called me and said she talked to the roommate and the roomate's into the manage too. GEORGE: That's unbelievable. JERRY: Oh, it's a scene, man. GEORGE: Do you ever just get down on your knees and thank god that you know me and have access to my dementia? JERRY: What are you talking about? I'm not goin' to do it. GEORGE: You're not going to do it? What do you mean, You're not going to do it? JERRY: I can't. I'm not an orgy guy. GEORGE: Are you crazy? This is like discovering Plutonium ... by accident. JERRY: Don't you know what it means to become an orgy guy? It changes everything. I'd have to dress different. I'd have to act different. I'd have to grow a mustache and get all kinds of robes and lotions and I'd need a new bedspread and new curtains I'd have to get thick carpeting and weirdo lighting. I'd have to get new friends. I'd have to get orgy friends. ... Naw, I'm not ready for it. GEORGE: If only something like that could happen to me. JERRY: Oh, shut up you couldn't do it either. GEORGE: I know.
                      Love this episode!

Comment

I'm intrigued by Ray given all he went through with pitching for two clubs with two different deliveries and marching orders. I'd encourage you to take a look at his quasi-twin brother Caleb Smith as they look very similar in delivery & stuff, but he's much riskier IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          I'm intrigued by Ray given all he went through with pitching for two clubs with two different deliveries and marching orders. I'd encourage you to take a look at his quasi-twin brother Caleb Smith as they look very similar in delivery & stuff, but he's much riskier IMO
                          Interestingly, I had Caleb, but was able to move him for a modest return. In my league, anyone with the ability to K batters at the rate they do gets folks attention. But yeah, he seems riskier, if not in terms of performance, definitely in terms of health.

Comment

Dunedin could be a pitchers' park, if the Jays played there, and they do have a good offense behind him... maybe I am a little intrigued.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                              Dunedin could be a pitchers' park, if the Jays played there, and they do have a good offense behind him... maybe I am a little intrigued.
                              Dunedin has a RCF power alley of 363. It would play like Yankee Stadium to lefties.

Comment

Working...
                              X