Power Ball and Mega Millions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Ball and Mega Millions

I can't remember the last time I bought a lottery ticket. This week both of them were extremely large and I had to run some errands, so I figured what the heck.

I invested $2 each (for one number each). Just saw on NBC News that both rolled over. But hey that does not mean I couldn't win a smaller prize. So I got my tickets and just checked. I got exactly zero matches, nadda, not even one! Ha.

Someone will eventually beat the odds of 302M to 1. Maybe I should double up and cut those odds in half? Ha. just kidding.

highest hit was 4 numbers + powerball which paid out $50K on powerball

Mega Millions had 4 + the MB & paid out $10K + someone had a megaplier & got $40K

Comment

In a pool with my high school friends. There was a million dollar ticket sold earlier this week in New Jersey at the same store where my buddy bought our tickets. It was not ours, alas.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
        In a pool with my high school friends. There was a million dollar ticket sold earlier this week in New Jersey at the same store where my buddy bought our tickets. It was not ours, alas.
        There is a gas station two blocks from my house that sold a 2 million dollar mega ticket last week. The way my brain works is that despite the fact that I know it does not impact current odds at all, I'm like, what are the chances of someone from my area winning now right after that hit?!

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          There is a gas station two blocks from my house that sold a 2 million dollar mega ticket last week. The way my brain works is that despite the fact that I know it does not impact current odds at all, I'm like, what are the chances of someone from my area winning now right after that hit?!
          Haha, on our text chain, people were telling him to buy from a different place because the store will never sell another winner!

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
            Haha, on our text chain, people were telling him to buy from a different place because the store will never sell another winner!
            This is why Vegas does so well, and why Roulette profits skyrocketed once they added the board of past hits. It makes not impact on what comes next, but I'd see a board where red came up 10 times in a row and I'd bet on black. Stupid brain.

Comment

I'm waiting for the jackpot to reach a billion dollars before i play.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                I'm waiting for the jackpot to reach a billion dollars before i play.
                Yeah, barely worth playing below that . In truth, the ROI is already over the price of the ticket, which is very rare. However, that assumes a single winner, and there rarely is just one winner when it gets this big and more people buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  This is why Vegas does so well, and why Roulette profits skyrocketed once they added the board of past hits. It makes not impact on what comes next, but I'd see a board where red came up 10 times in a row and I'd bet on black. Stupid brain.
                  I’d go red. Red is killing it. Momentum, black can’t keep up.

Comment

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

― Albert Einstein

Comment

"The lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math."

true

but I once interviewed a Princeton mathematics professor. neither he nor his peers I spoke with at other esteemed universities had ever bought a lottery ticket (surprise!).

but he had sort of a mathematical angle to a sociological answer - his point being that when a lottery jackpot gets this large, it inevitably becomes a topic of discussion at the lunch table at work (long before COVID disclaimer).

he said that by purchasing the ticket, you earned a right into a potentially spirited discussion. one colleague would buy a massive yacht and invite 100 friends to sail around the world each year, another would buy their own island, another would ease a major charitable need, or buy a grand home for their son or daughter and their new family, and so on.

that discussion would be quite enjoyable for everyone, pass the time at lunch, and provide for a fun conversation with a spouse at dinnertime that night. then the couple could trade their own fantasies about what to do with all that money.

as far as he was concerned, the price of the lottery ticket for all that? it seemed like a bargain to him.
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

My office pool actually hit 50K once. We all got about 900 after taxes. The look on people’s faces who did not participate in the pool was priceless.

But yeah, I only buy a ticket when it gets to these mammoth ones. It’s just less money I’ll flush away on terrible prop bets on DraftKings.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            I’d go red. Red is killing it. Momentum, black can’t keep up.
                            Ride the hot until it is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              "The lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math."

true
                              And yet, since the first lottery began there is eventually and always a winner. 100% of the time someone has won the Power and Mega lotteries. Barring end times there will be at least one person that will buck the odds and win for these two current big ones.

100% chance of not winning to those who do not play. I fall into that category much more often than not.

Comment

Working...
                              X