No announcement yet.

Power Ball and Mega Millions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The lottery is a tax on 99.99% of people who are bad at math" doesn't have quite the same ring to it....
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      "The lottery is a tax on 99.99% of people who are bad at math" doesn't have quite the same ring to it....
      Sound came out of my short laugh burst.

Nicely played.

Comment

Hmm, it is still a tax on 100% of people who are bad at math, though. It's just that some of those people benefit from being bad at math. But even those people are taxed. The house always wins .

Comment

well, if you don't play, then those who do are paying YOU (an infinitesimal amount of) tax!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

well, if you don't play, then those who do are paying YOU (an infinitesimal amount of) tax!
            Never let it be known that I don't pay my taxes! I already brought a ticket each for the drawings tomorrow and Wednesday. When I win, I'll buy a Baseball Prospectus for each of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              Never let it be known that I don't pay my taxes! I already brought a ticket each for the drawings tomorrow and Wednesday. When I win, I'll buy a Baseball Prospectus for each of you.
              I have not. Since I did last week I almost feel the need to see it through. But it is cold outside and nearest place to purchase is 7 blocks away. What to do what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                I have not. Since I did last week I almost feel the need to see it through. But it is cold outside and nearest place to purchase is 7 blocks away. What to do what to do.
                If the good Lord wanted us to walk 7 blocks in the cold, he would not have had us invent cars .

Comment

If the good Lord wanted us to walk 7 blocks in the cold, he would not have had us invent cars .
                  Problem solved. I just noticed my wife has to run an errand. I gave her 3 bucks and told her she had to kick one in. Please stop and get one ticket each for Mega and Power. She said why? Umm because we are in this deep and I need to see it to the end...duh.

She then told me she has never bought a lottery ticket and doesn't even no what to do. So I explained the very intricate steps to the process. Rolling of the eyes ensued, but she did say she would do it.

As she was leaving I used my Uncle Lewis (Christmas Vacation) voice and yelled Don't forget my lottery tickets! She yelled back in her Uncle Lewis voice I won't!.

Already got my 4 bucks worth of entertainment today.

Comment

"The lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math."
                    actually, with the mega-millions jackpot at 850 million and your odds of winning being 1 in 303 million, and tickets costing $2, there's a positive EV on buying tickets right now!

I guess you need to calculate in the odds of splitting the prize, and there are taxes... but it's probably better than break-even.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                      actually, with the mega-millions jackpot at 850 million and your odds of winning being 1 in 303 million, and tickets costing $2, there's a positive EV on buying tickets right now!

I guess you need to calculate in the odds of splitting the prize, and there are taxes... but it's probably better than break-even.
                      Funny I just had the exact same conversation with my wife. I asked her to grab a ticket while she was out. She said "I thought you don't play b/c it's just a tax on people who don't understand math". And I explained that I only play when it's a positive EV (or close)

Comment

splitting the prize would seem to be far more likely when it reaches this level of frenzy.

my speculation would be that there is a critical mass of size of jackpot vs. amount of new tickets bought that would have peaked the EV at a good 7-10 days ago.

while most people now just buy a random ticket, the EV improves slightly (ok, infinitesimally) if you have at least one number above 31.

then if your ticket wins, every customer who picks numbers solely based on dates is eliminated. the Princeton professor taught me that one.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

I got the winning ticket right here. I figure I have a 50-50 chance--either I win or I lose, 50-50. How can I lose with those odds? Plus I want to win really bad and Willy Wonka taught me that means I am a shoo-in.

Comment

I got the winning ticket right here. I figure I have a 50-50 chance--either I win or I lose, 50-50. How can I lose with those odds? Plus I want to win really bad and Willy Wonka taught me that means I am a shoo-in.
                            You should have bought 2 tickets. Then u couldn't lose
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                              You should have bought 2 tickets. Then u couldn't lose
                              Pshh, you don't know maths like me. It would still be 50-50, cuz I'd still either win or I'd lose. No matter how many tickets I bought, it would be 50-50. That is why I just bought 1.

Comment

Pshh, you don't know maths like me. It would still be 50-50, cuz I'd still either win or I'd lose. No matter how many tickets I bought, it would be 50-50. That is why I just bought 1.
                                There should be a prize for getting no numbers. That has to be harder than getting them all, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X