No announcement yet.

Is There Anything Better Than Rotolab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There Anything Better Than Rotolab?

I've used Rotolab for at least 15 years now. I loved the old version FAR better than the new version. As a longtime user, I've sent many tweak requests to Merv the last couple of years, but he has not implemented them.

My issues:
    - I find, like many I believe, the BBHQ projections they include to be on the poor side. I find many players don't have their playing time correctly projected, so I like to tailor them to my own projections. In the old version, it was very easy to do for pitchers, as he had Strikeouts & Walks directly linked to the K/9 & BB/9 ratios, which were directly linked to IP. So if you changed a pitcher's IP, the K/9 rate would remain the same and then automatically update the Strikeout total. For example, if you changed Josh Hader's IP from 60 to 70, his projected K/9 would remain at 13.0, and the Ks would automatically increase from 87 to 101.

But in the new version, the K/9 and BB/9 rates are not connected to the IP, making every tinker of the projections now a 2-step process, which is a pain in the ass and throws everything off. In the new version the K/9 ratio is directly linked to the actual Strikeouts and NOT the IP, so if you change the IP, the strikeout total would not change and the K/9 would go down. Using the same Hader example, if you changed his IP from 60 to 70, his Strikeouts would not automatically change from 87 to 101, because the projected K/9 fluctuates based on the IP. A change from 60 to 70 IP would keep the Ks at 87 and would automatically recalculate the K/9 to 11.19.

This is a major pain in the ass when changing pitching projections, because now you have to do a second projection and dig around for Hader's probable K/9 ratio that would jive with your new projected IP.

I've told him about this error two consecutive years, and he told me he took a shortcut when coding the new version and he would look into it. But after two years he still never changed anything.

- in the old version, the new $ value would update as soon as you entered a new projection for any stat. This made it quite easy to compare players based on your new projection. For example, if you increased a player's HR total by 3, it would jump his projected $$ by $2, let's say. So if by doing that a player's new value then jumped another who you know you would never take over him, you may not bother with that change. But now, you have to constantly go out of the editor screen and into the revalue screen, click a button to get a new $ value, and then jump back to see the new result. Another pain in the ass that's a big downgrade from the old version.

- the teams are not always updated, so you may need to change a player's team every time you open the program. For example, if a player is a free agent, it may still list him as being on his old team. Not a major problem, but when I tinker the projections, I often sort by team and then find the free agent to be listed back despite being changed before. Seems like a minor fix, but he hasn't fixed that either. Or that could be a BBHQ QC issue.

So all that said, I believe his product has not improved over the years, and in fact has gotten worse with the update to the new version. And I know he does this full-time now, so not sure why these bugs still exist.

I realize everyone uses this product, but does anyone use something else similar to Rotolab? I actually asked MJL to look into creating our own product, but it never got off the ground. Maybe Lord Zola would want to discuss?

I don't use draft software so I can't share anything related to my personal experiences. All I can offer is I know Rotowire and The Fantistics (https://www.insiderbaseball.com/fantasybaseball.htm) have drafting software.
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
      I don't use draft software so I can't share anything related to my personal experiences. All I can offer is I know Rotowire and The Fantistics (https://www.insiderbaseball.com/fantasybaseball.htm) have drafting software.
      Horsnby hipped me to the Fantistics. I used it when I did multiple leagues. I only do one now, so probably won't, but it was great. The software is sort of antiquated, and their website is too, but it gets the job done, for my needs, at least and their projections are solid. Finding them online is weird, as some links take you to websites that look like they come from the 90s, and some look better, but they all eventually take you to the same software. Here is a link that looks fancier though: https://www.fantistics.com/salesbaseball.php3

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        Horsnby hipped me to the Fantistics. I used it when I did multiple leagues. I only do one now, so probably won't, but it was great. The software is sort of antiquated, and their website is too, but it gets the job done, for my needs, at least and their projections are solid. Finding them online is weird, as some links take you to websites that look like they come from the 90s, and some look better, but they all eventually take you to the same software. Here is a link that looks fancier though: https://www.fantistics.com/salesbaseball.php3
        Yeah, the link Todd posted was from 2005. Literally 2005. LOL.

Comment

I have yet to encounter anything that's even remotely close to RotoLab. I did use some free thing once in a slow draft and it worked fine but there's no way it would have held up to a real time auction. I also tinker with RotoLab but I just revalue after doing bulk tinkering and it doesn't really seem onerous at all. I agree that the dubious projections are by far the worst feature of the software. Would be nice if you could pick from a couple different projections databases or something. Rotowire is passable, I guess, and so is Big Board.
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
            I have yet to encounter anything that's even remotely close to RotoLab. I did use some free thing once in a slow draft and it worked fine but there's no way it would have held up to a real time auction. I also tinker with RotoLab but I just revalue after doing bulk tinkering and it doesn't really seem onerous at all. I agree that the dubious projections are by far the worst feature of the software. Would be nice if you could pick from a couple different projections databases or something. Rotowire is passable, I guess, and so is Big Board.
            Do you find the issue with changing pitching projections to be a pain now?

Comment

I've used both rotolab and rotowire's software over the past 10 years. I find rotowire's easier to manipulate, but rotolab has the better UI for me and has never crashed on me. I've had 2 instances of rotowire's software stalling on me during a draft.

The commissioner window feature in rotolab has been awesome for running live drafts at a bar with a projector. My leaguemates love it when I do that.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                I've used Rotolab for at least 15 years now. I loved the old version FAR better than the new version. As a longtime user, I've sent many tweak requests to Merv the last couple of years, but he has not implemented them. My issues: - I find, like many I believe, the BBHQ projections they include to be on the poor side. I find many players don't have their playing time correctly projected, so I like to tailor them to my own projections. In the old version, it was very easy to do for pitchers, as he had Strikeouts & Walks directly linked to the K/9 & BB/9 ratios, which were directly linked to IP. So if you changed a pitcher's IP, the K/9 rate would remain the same and then automatically update the Strikeout total. For example, if you changed Josh Hader's IP from 60 to 70, his projected K/9 would remain at 13.0, and the Ks would automatically increase from 87 to 101. But in the new version, the K/9 and BB/9 rates are not connected to the IP, making every tinker of the projections now a 2-step process, which is a pain in the ass and throws everything off. In the new version the K/9 ratio is directly linked to the actual Strikeouts and NOT the IP, so if you change the IP, the strikeout total would not change and the K/9 would go down. Using the same Hader example, if you changed his IP from 60 to 70, his Strikeouts would not automatically change from 87 to 101, because the projected K/9 fluctuates based on the IP. A change from 60 to 70 IP would keep the Ks at 87 and would automatically recalculate the K/9 to 11.19. This is a major pain in the ass when changing pitching projections, because now you have to do a second projection and dig around for Hader's probable K/9 ratio that would jive with your new projected IP. I've told him about this error two consecutive years, and he told me he took a shortcut when coding the new version and he would look into it. But after two years he still never changed anything. - in the old version, the new $ value would update as soon as you entered a new projection for any stat. This made it quite easy to compare players based on your new projection. For example, if you increased a player's HR total by 3, it would jump his projected $$ by $2, let's say. So if by doing that a player's new value then jumped another who you know you would never take over him, you may not bother with that change. But now, you have to constantly go out of the editor screen and into the revalue screen, click a button to get a new $ value, and then jump back to see the new result. Another pain in the ass that's a big downgrade from the old version. - the teams are not always updated, so you may need to change a player's team every time you open the program. For example, if a player is a free agent, it may still list him as being on his old team. Not a major problem, but when I tinker the projections, I often sort by team and then find the free agent to be listed back despite being changed before. Seems like a minor fix, but he hasn't fixed that either. Or that could be a BBHQ QC issue. So all that said, I believe his product has not improved over the years, and in fact has gotten worse with the update to the new version. And I know he does this full-time now, so not sure why these bugs still exist. I realize everyone uses this product, but does anyone use something else similar to Rotolab? I actually asked MJL to look into creating our own product, but it never got off the ground. Maybe Lord Zola would want to discuss?
                I agree, it is getting more difficult instead of easier to change the horrible projections. I do the same as you andI'mnot looking forward to it this year.

Comment

For those using draft software, please rank the following reasons for using it

Track rosters and money

Track standings

Track inflation

Get player recommendations

Other (please explain)
                  Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

For those using draft software, please rank the following reasons for using it Track rosters and money Track standings Track inflation Get player recommendations Other (please explain)
                    1. Track Inflation
                    2. Track Rosters and Money
                    3. Players Available at a glanceby position and $value
                    everything else is nice but not that important

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      Do you find the issue with changing pitching projections to be a pain now?
                      I didn't make many changes before my auctions this past season (which, uh, showed, to say the least) so I'm honestly not quite sure how changing projections would affect me now.
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Track rosters and money - Can do manually, but I've had misses that cost me opportunities in the endgame.

Players available at position and value - Nice to have to track tiers of players available. Are there still a lot, or is a tier running out?

Track inflation - My league typically stays close to inflation values, so not a lot of value here, but if bidding does get weird early, it's a nice to have.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          Track rosters and money - Can do manually, but I've had misses that cost me opportunities in the endgame.

Players available at position and value - Nice to have to track tiers of players available. Are there still a lot, or is a tier running out?

Track inflation - My league typically stays close to inflation values, so not a lot of value here, but if bidding does get weird early, it's a nice to have.
                          This.

I would also add that 10 of 12 league members use Rotolab and I want to see what they are seeing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            I would also add that 10 of 12 league members use Rotolab and I want to see what they are seeing.
                            Know yourself; know your enemy; fear not the outcome of any battle.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Track rosters and money

Track standings

Track inflation

Get player recommendations

Other (please explain)
                              Todd, note that Rotolab does NOT seamlessly track in-season performance. Yes, you can do it, but you have to hand enter the standings data daily which is a royal pain in the ass. I've also asked Merv to add in-season functionality by linking to leagues, but he pleaded ignorance that it could be done. When I told him Footballguys does it, he seemed very surprised.

Comment

Working...
                              X