Yankees re-signing Lemahieu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yankees re-signing Lemahieu

Not sure what happened to get things moving when the 2 sides were allegedly so far apart, but here we go.

The Yankees repeatedly said that re-signing DJ LeMahieu was their top winter priority. The months-long stalemate between the club and their top position player has reached a conclusion. The Yankees signed LeMahieu to a six-year deal through the 2026 season, the club announced on Wednesday. It is expected to be

SIX years and 90 mil? Is this just spreading out the money for the luxury tax?

Comment

That is a lower per year rate than I thought, and a longer contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        He's 32 or 33 (born July 88, so not sure of his baseball age) so he wasn't going to get another deal after this one. It is definitely longer and cheaper than I thought too. I thought he wanted 5/120 or 4/100. He did just ask his agent to call around, after getting annoyed at the Yankees. I wonder if those calls didn't go as expected.

It wouldn't surprise me if the breakdown is something like 15/18/18/18/12/9 ... unless he let the Yankees push the high dollars out further.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          He's 32 or 33 (born July 88, so not sure of his baseball age) so he wasn't going to get another deal after this one. It is definitely longer and cheaper than I thought too. I thought he wanted 5/120 or 4/100. He did just ask his agent to call around, after getting annoyed at the Yankees. I wonder if those calls didn't go as expected.

It wouldn't surprise me if the breakdown is something like 15/18/18/18/12/9 ... unless he let the Yankees push the high dollars out further.
          Probably did not go as hoped in the shopping. Seems like he should have taken the 4/84 rather than this one. Effectively playing two extra years for $6M.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Effectively playing two extra years for $6M.

That would be his 36 and 37 yo seasons though, it's possible that $6M is more than he could get at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              SIX years and 90 mil? Is this just spreading out the money for the luxury tax?
              Yes - reportedly the Jays offered 4/78, Dodgers 4/60.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                Same here. I thought his ask of 5/120 was not going to happen, but I was thinking he'd still get 4/80. Of course, that means he's getting 4/80 plus his age 37/38 years for $10 mil, and Ken could well be right that he wouldn't be able to do better at that point.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

He never really wanted to leave that short right porch.

What makes him so great is you simply cannot shift him defensively. He can truly drive the ball to all fields and will simply hit it hard where the fielders are not. I truly hate facing him 18 games a season more so than any other player in the AL East.

Comment

Working...
                  X