Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Biden's Cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by madducks View Post
    You came to visit and didn't say hello?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by chancellor View Post
    Biden’s explanation of why he didn’t name Bernie as Labor Secretary is sooooo Joe Biden.

Walsh is an interesting pick. His labor bona fides are very strong, but Boston’s blue collar unions have not been the most culturally enlightened group, let’s just say.
    Does Bernie Sanders not have more power to leverage as Congressional Budget Committee Chair than he would have as Labor Secretary?

It could end up being like Canada's arrangement, where the further left party (Jagmeet Singh - NDP) is pushing the centrist governing party (Justin Trudeau - Liberal). This pressure coerced much higher Covid relief being offered than the initial peanuts the Libs wanted.

Given your prior recognition of the massive eviction crisis looming, I would think you would possibly support Sanders' initiatives of direct payments and other stimulus supports to avoid a housing market crash. Or do you have a different understanding of the situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Does Bernie Sanders not have more power to leverage as Congressional Budget Committee Chair than he would have as Labor Secretary?
    In some ways, yes, in others, no. In his role as Senate Budget chair, he can leverage a lot more bills into the reconciliation process, which avoids the filibuster. He also controls priority of bills that comes through his committee. He's made it clear he's going to really push hard on that. OTOH, as Labor Secretary, he has a ton of leverage over interpretation of pay, safety, workplace rules, and a pretty big bully pulpit if he wanted it. I think Bernie would have been happy in either. My LOL moment was at Biden making it appear that if he'd named Bernie as Labor Secretary, that there was a chance he'd not be replaced by a Democrat. In Vermont. You'd be center-left in Vermont, if you get my drift.

Per what Sanders will put forward, it'll depend how much other pork gets thrown in. I didn't like the most recent stimulus at all.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

living next to RI and having gone to school there I've seen a lot of Gina Raimondo. RI is not an easy state to manage. the only thing I can sort of fault her on was opening schools instead of distance learning. at the time, my position was the infection rate would go up again and make it difficult. but I can see the dilemma. I thought that way because I see her as superwoman. she's not a swimsuit model but she's super-intelligent, she's stern and fearless, and she's outgoing. I love listening to her speak. she speaks kind of like a mother, which is kind of exactly what RI needs. she presents every side of a debate, and then explains what the solution is. the best word to describe her is 'competent'.

there was another guy Biden picked I forget who and what for, but the dude was part of the 3M disinformation scandal bout those 'forever chemicals' in Teflon. which is in 99% of the population now. and gave cancer and killed those kids at that high school in Minnesota. ..so that's a big fuck you to Zed.

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid
    Breakdown of Biden's cabinet in terms of demographics. Trump's was generally lily white and male. Obama's was more diverse. Biden's is extremely diverse, moreso than either other:

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021...rica_ethnicity

Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    I wonder how much influence the Vice President has on cabinet picks.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid
    First daughter Ashley Biden just announced she will not be part of this administration. We will surely miss the unfettered nepotism in which Republicans enabled vacuous bean can posers like Ivanka Trump to represent the U.S. at the G20 or in peace talks due to her experience as uh, the object of her father's forbidden affections or whatever the shit that particular horror was.

What is more important? Eliminating the filibuster or power sharing senate committee chairs?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    What is more important? Eliminating the filibuster or power sharing senate committee chairs?
    Tough call, seriously. Senate committee chairs wield a ton of power and leverage; eliminating the filibuster may be important on some bills they can't attach to budget bills/reconciliation. If it were one or the other, I'd personally lean toward the committee chairs and count on Bernie Sanders and his staff's smarts and savvy to get the most out of reconciliation. OTOH, the filibuster has a lot more visibility and will generate a lot more press and likely goodwill among the base. I can see good cases for either, but given the ambitious agenda you and others with similar views have listed, I'd play the long game and take the committee chairs.
    I'm just here for the baseball.