X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low hanging fruit

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
      This is a pretty pessimistic. I'm also somewhat confused by you're first statement. You are by far the most science driven person here. With COVID, we have had a the opportunity to see the scientific-method of hypothesis and test, and re-hypothesis and test play out in real time. That is what has lead to a lot of confusion and mistrust, IMO. People forgot what they learned in biology way back in the day.

Are we screwed??? I don't know. It seems that the human spirit and mind are pretty good at keeping us upright. Will we lose more people to COVID in the next months and years. Yup, but overall. I think we will win.
      thats like the greatest compliment i ever got. thanks. i am science driven. i try to be.

there is only one obstacle left that we have. and it's big obstacle. ADE. it takes a few years to show up. it's when your antibody levels drop and your non-neutralizing forces assist the virus. .. so of course, it might make a person think, why promote booster shoots. is it because you are afraid of ADE.

but the way the vaccines are set up. it REALLY puts the virus in a bad evolutionary spot. no matter how much it mutates, there is not way it can cause ADE. it's brilliant.

now, they could have actually tried to prevent infection over antibody response, which sounds really stupid. but it's true. if they targeted anything but the spike protein. they could've targeted the N protein or whatever. and that caused ADE in vitro in previous vaccine for SARS and MERS.

it's the one thing they are really looking out for. and i give them total credit.

you have to be really careful when making a vaccine for coronaviruses. especially when your plan to apply it to billions of people in an emergency.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
        but why had no ball player died? this is science. is it because they are young. they are outside and get a lot of vitamin D. ..it's a shit question. but it has to be asked. why do other people die
        I would say it's because they're young, they're in great physical shape, they get outside and get a lot of vitamin D, they take vitamin D supplements, they have great medical care, they were strongly encouraged to be vaccinated (and are vaccinated at a much higher rate than the general American public), and their employers took a lot of steps to mitigate spread in the workplace.

If a combination of all those things cut their risk by 20x, then you wouldn't expect any of them to have died from it.

Some coaches and scouts have died from COVID, which implies that maybe the first two factors (young and in great shape) are the most important. But the other factors matter, too, or a lot more coaches and scouts would have died.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• In Canada, a man punched a nurse for vaccinating his wife--without his permission.

Police are looking for a man in Canada they say punched a nurse in the face multiple times, knocking her to the ground after she administered a Covid-19 vaccine to his wife without his permission.

So Wrong on multiple levels.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
              ugh.
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                one of the old guys nurses here died from it. she was awesome, she had kids, only in her 40's.

fuck China, fuck gain of function experiments, and fuck all of this. we really fucked ourselves. it's true
                Nully, it's time to get rid of the cats and get a llama.

A nanobody made by llamas, which is also produced by camels, could eventually be produced in a lab and administered by a nasal spray, binding tightly to the COVID-19 virus and neutralizing it, researchers say.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• As many companies, like United Airlines, start to fire workers who did not comply with their vaccination deadline -- what is the purpose of throwing away your career because you don't want to get a shot? Are they terrified? Are they tossing away their livelihoods to appease one man who couldn't give two shits about them? The funniest thing is many unvaxxed hospital workers "are unconvinced" that vaccines work. Umm, what? Time for a career change, science denier. Is it just not wanting the man to demand something of them? Well, good, a new man (i.e. your boss) just demanded something of you, you didn't comply, so now you're on your knees begging the man (i.e. the government) for a handout. Time to pull up those bootstraps, fella!

Comment

• And the slim chance for Catholics to get a religious exemption has been slammed shut. Pope Francis officially mandated vaccines or negative tests, and criticized "vaccine negationists". This overrules the out some bishops were using from the COVID-19 morality document issued by the Curia last December.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      And the slim chance for Catholics to get a religious exemption has been slammed shut. Pope Francis officially mandated vaccines or negative tests, and criticized "vaccine negationists". This overrules the out some bishops were using from the COVID-19 morality document issued by the Curia last December.
                      CNN had an interview with two medical professionals about to lose their jobs, and when the interviewer brought up Pope Francis, one said "he's a hypocrite."

Comment

• Are any of you worried about the impact the exodus of workers will have on critical need areas like health care? So many areas are short staffed as it is. In an ideal world, everyone would just get the shots, but since we don't live in such a world, this seems like a lose-lose scenario.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          Are any of you worried about the impact the exodus of workers will have on critical need areas like health care? So many areas are short staffed as it is. In an ideal world, everyone would just get the shots, but since we don't live in such a world, this seems like a lose-lose scenario.
                          It sounds like it is a very, very small group that actually follow thru and quit. So I am not worried at this point. Much better to have vaccinated health care workers

EDIT: if anyone has data on the "exodus of workers" that would be interesting to see. I've only seen two datapoints. One was Massachusetts police where dozens of officers apparently resigned, but as of now only one has followed thru. The other was a hospital system with 34,000 employees where 175 quit. so less than 1%. Maybe there are locations where there are a much larger percent of people leaving, but I have not seen any reports on that. Not that I'm looking.
                          Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 09-29-2021, 05:51 PM.
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Are we sure it isn't a net positive?

Hospital workers who don't believe in science and put politics ahead of the health of their patients shouldn't be in a hospital in the first place. Removing them likely improves care, right?

Comment

• The Houston Methodist hospital system had roughly 26,000 workers who got vaccinated and 153 who did not and were fired or resigned.
                              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                                The Houston Methodist hospital system had roughly 26,000 workers who got vaccinated and 153 who did not and were fired or resigned.
                                that aligns closely with the other employer I saw data for ....about 1 in 200 opting out. While losing these people isn't great, I don't think the mandate is going to have a significant impact on health care unless a lot more people opt out. Plus there is less concern about staff spreading COVID
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X