No announcement yet.

Covid Vaccine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one of my concerns about the vaccines was whether they can accidentally write to a persons DNA. I did a little searching and saw that scientists had anticipated this question and had addressed it last year. the Moderna and Pfizer, in theory, shouldn't be able to. in order for a virus to insert code in your DNA it has to be able to go into the nucleus of a cell. then it makes it's RNA and sends it to cytoplasm or something as instructions for the body to make antibodies. since the vaccine is already an RNA molecule, it doesn't go in the nucleus. there is an enzyme called transcriptase or something, which converts RNA into DNA but coronaviruses don't have this enzyme.

the other vaccines that use a more traditional approach, an inactivated virus carrying the instructions to make antibodies, supposedly use vectors to prevent it from accessing the nucleus. so I am assuming the chance is ultra low but not zero. the problem with writing to DNA is that you could accidentally knock out an important gene, like one that might be a tumor suppressing one. I think there is a company called Bluebird bio or something that recently had to suspend trials of something to investigate this.

I am a little surprised at the anti anti-vaxxers shouting down people that have questions about this stuff. if they understand the science I give them a pass. but if they don't or are not aware of the rare times there have been problems then they could be more helpful in explaining why these vaccines should be safe. for example, I didn't know that at first, some of the polio vaccines were infected with simian virus 40 (SV40) this is a type of virus, in theory, known to promote cancer. studies have been done, and they say the contamination didn't lead to higher incidents of cancer. also, if you go to the CDC's vaccination information center, they don't mention a dengue vaccine for children in the Philippines that cause ADE making recipients more susceptible to dengue.

actually the researching this stuff a little just made me want to someday get gene therapy to make my telomeres longer and live forever. what does it mean when they say they tested it on 'cancer resistant' mice? how do you make a mouse resistant to cancer, heh.

I started wondering that, there are so many fucking things in the environment now that can promote cancer. hey, science is wonderful right? until you start dumping chemicals in drinking water that last forever. I wonder if someday they'll be so many things, they won't be able to tell if something is specifically a culprit in cancer. because everyone will just be getting it. I guess by that time cancer will be cured.

I have two rules in life:
    1) start with the idea, assume cats know everything.
    2) assume humans know nothing.

Comment

I've been delaying getting into the science of immortality for a few years now. I think this is the best way https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telome..._transcriptase
      As organisms age and cells proliferate, telomeres shorten with each round of replication. Cells restricted to a specific lineage are capable of division only a set number of times, set by the length of telomeres, before they senesce.[41] Depletion and uncapping of telomeres has been linked to organ degeneration, failure, and fibrosis due to progenitors' becoming quiescent and unable to differentiate.[20][41] Using an in vivo TERT deficient mouse model, reactivation of the TERT gene in quiescent populations in multiple organs reactivated telomerase and restored the cells’ abilities to differentiate.[42] Reactivation of TERT down-regulates DNA damage signals associated with cellular mitotic checkpoints allowing for proliferation and elimination of a degenerative phenotype.[42] In another study, introducing the TERT gene into healthy one-year-old mice using an engineered adeno-associated virus led to a 24% increase in lifespan, without any increase in cancer
      I think, two women discovered it in a jungle like 20 years ago. there's a video, I haven't watched it. there's a Chinese plant Astragalus there's TA-65 but I don't think it's strong enough to be a telomerase activator. hmm, gene therapy. all you have to do is inject the hTERT gene, your body will do the rest. maybe you could become a superhero like deadpool. supposedly they didn't discover until the 90's that you can just inject genes into the body and get a response.

here's the paper on the mouse study. I remember when this came out. I never realized there was a paper. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3494070/
      In conclusion, we provide proof-of-principle for the feasibility of anti-aging interventions on adult/old mammals. Aged organisms accumulate telomere-derived DNA damage and we show that it is possible to repair or delay the accumulation of this type damage through telomerase gene therapy. This has direct consequences on the health of the aged organisms including an increase in the average and maximal lifespan.
      reading this stuff is kind a reminder how fucking complicated and skilled. it's humbling trying to comprehend it. and reminds me to stfu when I might unwittingly promote a conspiracy theory.

Comment

Apparently J&J was going to have production issues, so they are partnering with another Pharma to produce their vaccine!
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          Apparently J&J was going to have production issues, so they are partnering with another Pharma to produce their vaccine!
          I saw something that Biden announced we will have enough for every adult in America by the end of May. Great news assuming it is an accurate report.
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            I saw something that Biden announced we will have enough for every adult in America by the end of May. Great news assuming it is an accurate report.
            Great news, and scary. I'm anxious about how it pans out once supply exceeds demand. Then we will get a real sense of how many millions of Americans will NOT get vaccinated, even when the vaccines are readily available to all.

Comment

I get my 2nd this weekend in New Jersey (health issues- everyone else must be older than 65 - or be on a pretty short list that doesnt include teachers)
              Atlantic City has a megasite that does about 500 doses a day - I logged into the queue and was number 21,820 to wait

but in Indiana - they just went 55 plus today and my friend signed up and got his first on the same day

so it it s bit inconsistent state to state - supply and demand

Comment

Took all ya'lls advice and leaned into the doordash excuse and have an appointment for March 9th for my first shot.

Comment

Got Pfizer dose 2 today. I'm exhausted right now, but I suspect that has more to do with me waking up at 6 AM to get to the vaccine appointment rather than the vaccine itself. I've heard the crappiness can start within 24 hours, so we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                    Got Pfizer dose 2 today. I'm exhausted right now, but I suspect that has more to do with me waking up at 6 AM to get to the vaccine appointment rather than the vaccine itself. I've heard the crappiness can start within 24 hours, so we'll see.
                    Pretty exhausted all day today and my head kinda feels like a lead balloon but not that bad.

Comment

Pretty exhausted all day today and my head kinda feels like a lead balloon but not that bad.
                      It's interesting that sop many people are fine after the first shot, but the second really hits them hard. It's also reversed in some cases, the first shot gets em, but the second is a breeze. It reminds me of the typhoid shots (2) we had to get in the 70s to travel to Jamaica The first one hit my family hard, but not me and the second only hit me hard. I guess it's gonna suck for you one way or the other with these dual shots.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I call that Monday.
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          I call that Monday.
                          Look at a calendar man, it's Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            Look at a calendar man, it's Friday.
                            Ok...sure, that is pretty much everyday ending in "y"
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Getting the J & J on Monday.

Comment

First shot down... Pfizer... Let you know how I feel tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X