No announcement yet.

Covid Vaccine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• staying up all night and overdosing on caffeine making 'Beefy Red' sores jokes to yourself is a poor strategy.

fucking caffeine.

Comment

• oh man i drank too much caffeine.

i think Benji or Lassie could do a better Mission Impossible than Tom Cruise since every one of their episodes was a mini mission impossible.

i swear i'll never drink caffeine again

Comment

• Former ESPN reporter Alison Williams was fired for not getting the vaccine, claiming "it may disrupt her fertility" although there's no proven side effect to do that, just more internet conspiracy theories. Dr. Alison apparently read some meme and decided to make her stand on it.

And voila, just a few days after getting canned, she signed on with noted right wing garbage spewers The Daily Caller to "expose the underside of vaccine mandates." Yeah, good luck with that career move Alison! ESPN college football sideline reporter to Daily Wire bloggist. LOL.

It's funny how all these anti-vaxxers claim some nonsense or another, religious or otherwise, but all along were closeted right-wing conspiracists.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
          staying up all night and overdosing on caffeine making 'Beefy Red' sores jokes to yourself is a poor strategy.
          On this, we are in full agreement.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
            i really should just put a point in the ground for water but i am afraid what these junkers have buried over the last 60 years.

one thing i could never figure out is why cats prefer rain water. i think it had something specifically to do with PH, but i forgot. this happens often where you figure something out and think you can remember it but forget because you didn't write it down. yet, keep doing it.

my first impression is when an animal prefers rain water over tap water, it means there is something wrong with the tap water. but i am not complaining. cumberland farms faucet water is better than water with mosquito larva swimming around like tadpoles.
            They probably smell the chlorine.

Comment

• It soon will be 6 months since I had my last CV-19 shot so I will be eligible for a booster. I've been listening to the concerns about whether to aspirate during the shot and decided to do some brief research. I went into this wanting to have my shot aspirated. I think I understand why this is not generally done now but since there is a possibility of significant risk to my health and since it is a simple and quick process to do the aspiration, I still want it done. The potential risk is not only Myocarditis but also Thrombosis. I know that we dont know definitively whether this is a real problem or not but some jurisdictions are concerned enough that they require the shot to be aspirated when given (Denmark and Hong Kong). And some vaccinated people have developed Myocarditis or Thrombosis and some of them died from one of these.

Some have said that there are risks to doing the aspiration but the only one I've seen mentioned is the possibility of more soreness afterward because the needle might get moved around more. I'll gladly risk having a sore shoulder for a few more days to avoid getting a serious health problem, or maybe even dying. Other objections to aspiration are that 1) even if the needle is in a small vein there still may be no blood evident when you aspirate and 2) even if there is blood evident after aspiration the needle may not be in a vein. I dont see how #2 could possibly be true and I am very skeptical of this. Re: #1, there still is no harm to the aspiration other than you havent necessarily prevented what you were trying to prevent from happening.

Since aspiration no longer is generally taught to the personnel administering the shot, I thought I might have trouble getting someone to do it. Since the appointments mostly are done online, I decided to ask about this in person at some nearby places that are giving the vaccine. At one place (a drugstore), they didnt even know what aspiration was (not a good start). At the 2nd place (a supermarket), the guy I asked said he didnt generally aspirate but could if I requested it. Great! But different techs are on duty at different times so I wont know whether the tech that gives me my shot is trained to aspirate until I come. I made an appointment for this Saturday.

Personally, until we find out more about this, I think vaccination facilities should be prepared to aspirate a shot if the patient asks for it. Only takes a second and there's no risk that I know of other than a sorer shoulder for a longer period of time. Let me say that even if you cant find a tech that will aspirate your shot, it still is much better to get the shot since the risk of the unvaccinated getting CV-19 is definitive and is much higher than these possible, or any other, complications.
              Last edited by rhd; 10-25-2021, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Throwing away a D-I coaching career to own the libs:

Washington State football coach Nick Rolovich has been fired for cause after refusing to take the COVID-19 vaccine and being noncompliant with both state and university policies, the university announced Monday evening. Rolovich sought, and appears to have been denied, a religious exemption from those mandates, which required employees be vaccinated against COVID-19 by Oct. 18 if they wished to continue working.

Four Washington State assistant coaches have also been terminated: Ricky Logo (defensive tackles), John Richardson (assistant head coach, cornerbacks), Craig Stutzmann (co-offensive coordinator, quarterbacks) and Mark Weber (offensive line).

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ccine-mandate/
                Apparently the "very religious" Nick Rolovich was extremely anti-vax and in a meeting with an immunologist arranged by his former employer, Washington State, he asked many conspiracy theory questions including if Bill Gates owned the patent on the vaccine.

And oh, he didn't mention any religious questions in this meeting. Sigh. Have a good career at McDonald's Nick.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Apparently the "very religious" Nick Rolovich was extremely anti-vax and in a meeting with an immunologist arranged by his former employer, Washington State, he asked many conspiracy theory questions including if Bill Gates owned the patent on the vaccine.

And oh, he didn't mention any religious questions in this meeting. Sigh. Have a good career at McDonald's Nick.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/immunol...125222760.html
                  While I think his view is stupid, and WSU was well within their rights to fire him, there's all sorts of wrong with the article you linked.

- What the hell is a MD doing going to the press about what was said in a medical review with a patient? Does the MD - who's almost as big of a moron as Rolovich, in my eyes - think this is going to improve honesty in the exemption process and/or improve the number of people getting vaccinated? At an absolute minimum, this doc should be hauled before the state medical review board and censored for violating patient confidentiality.
                  - The assertation that the Catholic Church is a "strong proponent of vaccination" is wholly false. While I'll give Yahoo credit for linking the proper Curia paper on the topic (something CNN couldn't do), their interpretation of that document is lacking. Yes, the Catholic Church has stated that getting vaccinated is morally acceptable, but points 4 and 5 of the Curial instructions are hardly a ringing endorsement. Specifically, bold mine:

4. In fact, the licit use of such vaccines does not and should not in any way imply that there is a moral endorsement of the use of cell lines proceeding from aborted fetuses.[4] Both pharmaceutical companies and governmental health agencies are therefore encouraged to produce, approve, distribute and offer ethically acceptable vaccines that do not create problems of conscience for either health care providers or the people to be vaccinated.

5. At the same time, practical reason makes evident that vaccination is not, as a rule, a moral obligation and that, therefore, it must be voluntary. In any case, from the ethical point of view, the morality of vaccination depends not only on the duty to protect one's own health, but also on the duty to pursue the common good. In the absence of other means to stop or even prevent the epidemic, the common good may recommend vaccination, especially to protect the weakest and most exposed. Those who, however, for reasons of conscience, refuse vaccines produced with cell lines from aborted fetuses, must do their utmost to avoid, by other prophylactic means and appropriate behavior, becoming vehicles for the transmission of the infectious agent. In particular, they must avoid any risk to the health of those who cannot be vaccinated for medical or other reasons, and who are the most vulnerable.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    The assertation that the Catholic Church is a "strong proponent of vaccination" is wholly false.

Comment

• I could get Pope Francis to declare a Gaudium et spes about Benji or Lassie, but he would just say they can do a better mission impossible than Tom Cruise, and steal my thunder, because every episode was a mini mission impossible.

Comment

• the director and the deputy director of the FDA recently quit. presumably over booster shots. but that is probably not the whole picture. and science suffers. how they quit, or why they did, was it political, was it simply replacing Trump ppl with our own, i have no idea. they are pretty high up in ranking though. i don't see how either way is good. but they spoke their piece shortly after and resigned and then spilled their beans in the lancet. i've never actually read the Lancet before because i assumed, during my biased ways, they were captured. but this is what the 2 FDA ppl that resigned had to say.

Considerations in boosting COVID-19 vaccine immune responses. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...046-8/fulltext
                        Current evidence does not, therefore, appear to show a need for boosting in the general population, in which efficacy against severe disease remains high. Even if humoral immunity appears to wane, reductions in neutralizing antibody titre do not necessarily predict reductions in vaccine efficacy over time, and reductions in vaccine efficacy against mild disease do not necessarily predict reductions in the (typically higher) efficacy against severe disease. This effect could be because protection against severe disease is mediated not only by antibody responses, which might be relatively short lived for some vaccines, but also by memory responses and cell-mediated immunity, which are generally longer lived
                        in science terms they are banking on vaccines having B cell memory. it's a bold call. i think it's the right one. because coronaviruses aren't like influenza. they mutate, but not as much. at least framing it that way makes it a question of science.

still, it really opens up a can of worms. that's the strategy. there may be many ways to slay this dragon. and 8 ways from Sunday for everyone to take credit for it.

i've seen a lot of important ppl and institutions stress that it's important to make sure the poor get vaccinated. and it can be a problem where rich countries are on their 4th and 5th boosters before other places have gotten one. but i can't say if that's science or politics.

draw your own conclusions

Comment

• you know what is really one of the greatest questions of civilization? comparing a TV show like Pawn Stars to Storage Wars.

in Pawn Stars you got a bunch of down to earth dudes describing American history. but in Storage Wars, you got a bunch of rich parasites driving around in Ford Expeditions buying storage units poor ppl were forced out of and who lost their prized possessions. one show is about learning and another show about greed and conquest.

draw your own conclusions.

Comment

• i mean come on, what kind of question would be what kind of apparatus would use kerosene for fuel:

1) ship
                            2) tractor
                            3) airplane

you'd have to be an idiot not to know that one

Comment

• you know what being a liberal is, it's like the dog that chases a car and then catches it and has no idea what to do with it.

Comment

• for me, a bigger question is, if i pay .78 for a Sheba tender trout entree, and the cats eat 2 for a total of $1.56 each day. would it really be healthier and cheaper to just buy shaved steak and cook it myself. i think Sheba is pretty healthy, but is starting to price themselves out of the market.

and the plastic containers, like i could give a shit! pollution is the last on the list of my immediate problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X