Covid Vaccine thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    By the way, I actually think most people who where masks are under the false impression that it is more about protecting themselves than protection others. Maybe not so much our crowd, but in the walking around.
    Masks are worn to mitigate contracting and/or transmitting the virus, it protects everyone including oneself. If your an anti vaxxer or masker, you don't care about anyone but yourself.

Your original statement was--I know some anti-maskers that wore masks. They did for the benefit of the maskers. That means they AREN'T Anti Maskers right? I guess that's MY point, am I missing something--lost it in the translation?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Ken;405663]That's a distinction without a difference. The same example with you bailing out of the car applies. You are criticizing the analogy, not for it's substance but for an unimportant aspect that has nothing to do with the conversation.

Nope. The analogy is important or you would not have used it.

But tt is misguided at it's core. The anti-maskers that wear masks out of respect for others. They do not believe they will die or kill anyone. Yet they care enough about people to "go along" with their wishes.

Head on car collisions have much greater odds of ending in death than an individual occurrence of meeting someone without a mask. You exaggerated the analogy to force your point.

If one of your friends who were anti maskers wore a mask for you, would you say thank you? Or would you at least appreciate their effort?

Comment

Will you still wear yours?

I have a card that shows I have had both shots. So far I am wearing my mask.
        I think PA & NJ still have mask requirements. I would wear mine for the foreseeable future if indoors. I went to an outdoor flea market last week and wore it. I've had both shots as well.

I would wear it anywhere that still requires it, vaccine or no vaccine. Because I respect law & order!

Comment

Nope. The analogy is important or you would not have used it.
          LOL, thanks for telling me how my analogy works.

You don't get to "nope" my intent for my analogy. Sorry, that's just not how it works.

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          But tt is misguided at it's core.
          Negative, you just aren't grasping it, and that's okay. As I said previously you missed the point.

The anti-maskers that wear masks out of respect for others. They do not believe they will die or kill anyone. Yet they care enough about people to "go along" with their wishes.
          As GITH noted, that's not what is meant by anti-masker. It's possible you are misusing the term which is causing confusion for everyone.

No one "enjoys" wearing a mask. That doesn't make you an anti-masker.

Head on car collisions have much greater odds of ending in death than an individual occurrence of meeting someone without a mask. You exaggerated the analogy to force your point.
          Right, this isn't a new concept. Analogies can show extreme cases in order to expose a core understanding of a smaller case. This is pretty simple stuff really.

If one of your friends who were anti maskers wore a mask for you, would you say thank you? Or would you at least appreciate their effort?
          This question makes no sense. If you found out your neighbor was a serial killer would you walk over and thank him for not killing you?

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            Masks are worn to mitigate contracting and/or transmitting the virus, it protects everyone including oneself. If your an anti vaxxer or masker, you don't care about anyone but yourself.

Your original statement was--I know some anti-maskers that wore masks. They did for the benefit of the maskers. That means they AREN'T Anti Maskers right? I guess that's MY point, am I missing something--lost it in the translation?
            Maybe we should define the term Anti-Maker. I define it simply as all who do not believe the need for wearing masks.

So the few people I am talking about don't believe the need for masks yet wear them out of respect for others who do believe it (when in their presence).

I have a question about masks. Do you believe masks are more effective to fight transmitting or contracting covid?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              I think PA & NJ still have mask requirements. I would wear mine for the foreseeable future if indoors. I went to an outdoor flea market last week and wore it. I've had both shots as well.

I would wear it anywhere that still requires it, vaccine or no vaccine. Because I respect law & order!
              What if they announced all requirements are halted at midnight tonight?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                This question makes no sense. If you found out your neighbor was a serial killer would you walk over and thank him for not killing you?
                How attractive is she?

Comment

Maybe we should define the term Anti-Maker. I define it simply as all who do not believe the need for wearing masks.
                  So anti-science, flat earther nuts. Got it. That's not how the term is typically being used in the media. Anti-maskers are the "you can't take away my freedom" folks who refuse to wear them.

So the few people I am talking about don't believe the need for masks yet wear them out of respect for others who do believe it (when in their presence).
                  got it - strange bunch, but not really in the anti mask category

I have a question about masks. Do you believe masks are more effective to fight transmitting or contracting covid?
                  It's strange that you use the word "believe" here.

The science behind it is primarily aimed at transmission (stopping the droplets coming "out" from the mouth/nose of an infected individual), but it's been shown to also help those would be "victims" as well.

Comment

What if they announced all requirements are halted at midnight tonight?
                    I'd probably still wear it for the foreseeable future.

Comment

LOL, thanks for telling me how my analogy works.

You don't get to "nope" my intent for my analogy. Sorry, that's just not how it works.

Negative, you just aren't grasping it, and that's okay. As I said previously you missed the point.

As GITH noted, that's not what is meant by anti-masker. It's possible you are misusing the term which is causing confusion for everyone.

No one "enjoys" wearing a mask. That doesn't make you an anti-masker.

Right, this isn't a new concept. Analogies can show extreme cases in order to expose a core understanding of a smaller case. This is pretty simple stuff really.

Ok, your analogy is not important.

Isn't your "negative" the same as my "nope" and why do you get to tell me I am not grasping it. I do grasp it. I just don't agree with it.

You said you had selfish friends that don't wear masks. What if they started wearing them around you. What would that be? I think it would be trying to be polite or caring around you their friend.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                        I'd probably still wear it for the foreseeable future.
                        I think I am in that boat as well. Many restrictions have been lessened here.

I am pretty confident that having survived covid plus two shots makes me not have to worry about giving it to anyone. Or getting it for that matter.

Comment

I follow the science, it's been proven that masking mitigates (important difference from prevent) BOTH Contracting AND Transmitting Covid-19.

And yes, Anti maskers to ME--do not mask no matter what unless FORCED to . Those who don;t believe the science yet still mask are considerate, but still a bit willfully ignorant.

I have both shots, my card, 2+ weeks and I will mask indoors unless I'm eating or drinking with people I know to have had the vaccine as well. Outdoors, I wear a gaiter, which I pull up as I pass unmasked people and will do so until Covid is no longer a thing regardless of mandates.
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Ok, your analogy is not important.

Isn't your "negative" the same as my "nope" and why do you get to tell me I am not grasping it. I do grasp it. I just don't agree with it.
                            Will reply in PM as this particular conversation isn't going anywhere!

You said you had selfish friends that don't wear masks. What if they started wearing them around you. What would that be? I think it would be trying to be polite or caring around you their friend.
                            That would mean my anti-mask friend isn't anti-mask anymore which would be great.

Comment

It's strange that you use the word "believe" here.

The science behind it is primarily aimed at transmission (stopping the droplets coming "out" from the mouth/nose of an infected individual), but it's been shown to also help those would be "victims" as well.
                              On this we agree.

I used the word believe as a question to Gwin's statement: Masks are worn to mitigate contracting and/or transmitting the virus, it protects everyone including oneself. If your an anti vaxxer or masker, you don't care about anyone but yourself.

Where he clearly put the contracting first which is not the scientific explanation. But I didn't want to assume. Plus he is a smart fella and I would not put it past him to put that in as a subliminal message.

Comment

I think I am in that boat as well. Many restrictions have been lessened here.

I am pretty confident that having survived covid plus two shots makes me not have to worry about giving it to anyone. Or getting it for that matter.
                                So if I stop wearing a mask am I an anti masker?

kidding.

Comment

Working...
                                X