No announcement yet.

2K21 Closer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, where do you think Trevor Rosenthal ends up?
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
      So, where do you think Trevor Rosenthal ends up?
      Oakland? Back with Matheny in KC?

Maybe the Dodgers cleared out Kolarek and Floro to make room?

Comment

Any thoughts on best backup bets for Padres & Cubs?

I’m assuming the signing of Melancon in SD places him as the closer to start the season. Safe assumption? I know his FB velocity and SwSt% were down and his K’s & whip are not good but why else would they sign him if not to close? I know injuries played a big part last year but are we looking at a committee w/Pomeranz & Pagan? I invested a little in Pomeranz last year as the guy in waiting.

Kimbrell won’t hold on to this job, will he? Looking at the rest of the bullpen maybe he can. Wick is the only name I’m familiar with and he doesn’t excite.

Comment

Originally posted by KnuckleBalls View Post
          Kimbrell won’t hold on to this job, will he? Looking at the rest of the bullpen maybe he can. Wick is the only name I’m familiar with and he doesn’t excite.
          I threw down on this last year, and will double down - Kimbrel will lose the closer role, and quickly. Wick's the CIW now, and unless there's a signing (Jeffress is still out there, for example), exciting or not, I'd get Wick. But monitor closely - I suspect the Cubs will re-sign Jeffress if they can get him at bargain basement pricing. Might be someone else out there, too, they might go for that would put Wick in a secondary role.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            I threw down on this last year, and will double down - Kimbrel will lose the closer role, and quickly. Wick's the CIW now, and unless there's a signing (Jeffress is still out there, for example), exciting or not, I'd get Wick. But monitor closely - I suspect the Cubs will re-sign Jeffress if they can get him at bargain basement pricing. Might be someone else out there, too, they might go for that would put Wick in a secondary role.
            Shane Green?

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
              Shane Green?
              Another possibility, for sure. He's still unsigned, correct?

Comment

Another possibility, for sure. He's still unsigned, correct?
                Yes. Or maybe back to the Braves.

Comment

Forgot about both Greene and Jeffress. Appreciate the feedback.

Comment

I followed you down that path and, going into this season I'm sitting on a $3 Wick and a $8 Jeffress as possible keepers in my NL-only. There's still six weeks until roster freeze but I'm not optimistic we'll have real clarity before then.
                    2021 Auction Anatomy
                    2021 Keeper Decisions
                    2020 Auction Anatomy
                    2020 Pre-Auction
                    2015 Auction Anatomy
                    2014 Auction Anatomy
                    2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                    RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                      I followed you down that path and, going into this season I'm sitting on a $3 Wick and a $8 Jeffress as possible keepers in my NL-only. There's still six weeks until roster freeze but I'm not optimistic we'll have real clarity before then.
                      You could be right. I'm wondering if the Cubs will make a bullpen move just after pitchers and catchers report. But in any case, if the Cubs trot out Kimbrel to start the year, I will be avidly shopping at the Cubs Closer-In-Waiting store.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        You could be right. I'm wondering if the Cubs will make a bullpen move just after pitchers and catchers report. But in any case, if the Cubs trot out Kimbrel to start the year, I will be avidly shopping at the Cubs Closer-In-Waiting store.
                        I'm investing in Kimbrel this year as I trust him more than any other Cubs reliever at this point. Scary right?

Comment

• Originally posted by whalewang View Post
                          I'm investing in Kimbrel this year as I trust him more than any other Cubs reliever at this point. Scary right?
                          Yup. I would definitely invest in a handcuff. The velocity is there for Kimbrel; the command is not.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            Instead of a reliever, the Cubs spent $6 million on Arrieta. I wonder if they know they’ll be able to bring back Jeffries on a relatively cheap deal...especially since they’re locked into a relatively expensive salary for Kimbrell.

Originally posted by whalewang View Post
                            That’s a lot of trust. I hope you’re investing relatively cheaply!
                            2021 Auction Anatomy
                            2021 Keeper Decisions
                            2020 Auction Anatomy
                            2020 Pre-Auction
                            2015 Auction Anatomy
                            2014 Auction Anatomy
                            2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                            RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

• Does Hunter Harvey close for the O's? I don't see much competition. Then again, how many games are they going to win at all, much less close-able ones??? (Sigh; so sad to see my beloved O's in this state. At least their farm is finally decent.)
                              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                                Does Hunter Harvey close for the O's? I don't see much competition. Then again, how many games are they going to win at all, much less close-able ones??? (Sigh; so sad to see my beloved O's in this state. At least their farm is finally decent.)
                                Shawn Armstrong is the only other one I'd watch in Spring Training. He improved his cutter last year, which helped setup his fastball better, and he has a mediocre, but serviceable curve for a third pitch. But I agree Harvey is most likely to be the guy in the 9th.

Even though the O's will be bad, Harvey should still save 25-32 games if he lands the sole closer role.

Comment

Working...
                                X