Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K21 Closer thread

All things Closer related are welcome.

I play in two 5x5 only leagues (1 AL and 1 NL). I do not believe in punting saves as I have not seen this very effective in winning the championships. How about you?

If you do buy or keep a closer what is the max you are comfortable with?

Good idea in starting this ...

I try to keep to cheap keepers in closers, it's been a while since I've spent significantly in the auction on them - pretty much only when I've had a great set of keepers & I need one reliable guy to anchor the saves cat.

I have two very cheap speculative guys in Romano (Tor) and Staumont (KCR) ... KC signed Holland but he's now 35 and less than totally reliable, so I think I'll be keeping Staumont. and Tor is linked to a bunch of FAs, but with Hendricks now in Chi I'm hoping he remains the guy.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Liam Hendriks was kept at $22 in our AL only 5x5 12 team $260 budget.

We have a winter roster cutdown day (to 19 roster spots including prospects) and then a winter roster draft of those who were cut. Trading then opens up until our final roster cutdowns (10-14 keeps depending on where we finished). This took place on Sunday. I tried to trade for Hendriks but fell short (lose them if traded out of the league).

The current owner is a White Sox fan so I am guessing he is doing the dance of joy for several reasons.

Comment

I really don't mind spending on the elite ones, if I don't have cheap keepers. I really dislike spending on the middle tier options who might burn you. If I'm spending in the middle I'd rather spend on high talent and questionable role, rather than solid role and questionable talent. That's a change to previous years where I was happy to spend on the unchallenged, mediocre guy.

Comment

So my current ADP list looks something like this (I think it was all 50-round drafts since mid-December, 15-team NFBC):

Hader
          Hendriks
          ---
          Edwin Diaz
          Chapman
          R Iglesias
          Karinchak
          ----
          Pressly
          Taylor Rogers
          Kenley
          Hand (free agent)
          Nick Anderson
          Rosenthal (free agent)
          Colome (free agent)
          Devin Williams
          Rafael Montero
          ---
          Yates (free agent)
          Kimbrel
          Matt Barnes
          Rich Rodriguez
          Jordan Romano
          ---
          Will Smith
          Pomeranz
          Stefan Chrichton
          Jordan Hicks
          Melancon (free agent)
          Greg Holland
          -----
          Gallegos
          Neris
          Tanner Rainey
          -----
          Diego Castillo
          Daniel Bard
          ----
          Aaron Bummer
          Amir Garrett
          Lucas Sims

I might have missed some guys. I'm not really excited about most of these options.
          EDIT- added Edwin Diaz, Devin Williams and Rafael Montero, and Crichton and a few other lower tier guys
          Last edited by joncarlos; 01-12-2021, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I'd pay into the low to mid 20s for a closer with elite skills on a contending team. I'd consider around 20 for a closer who's cheap and has elite skills on a non-contender.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              I'd pay into the low to mid 20s for a closer with elite skills on a contending team. I'd consider around 20 for a closer who's cheap and has elite skills on a non-contender.
              In my league you'd have 9 closers at those prices.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                in one of my home leagues, there are 4 owners who either keep or draft closers at >$20 prices. They've spent as much as $36 in a draft on a closer. Blows my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  In my league you'd have 9 closers at those prices.
                  In a mixed league, I wouldn't go that high for sure - good catch. In my 11-team AL only league, most don't, either, but the top 1-3 do.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                    in one of my home leagues, there are 4 owners who either keep or draft closers at >$20 prices. They've spent as much as $36 in a draft on a closer. Blows my mind.
                    $36?!? Wow. I help a friend with his NL only league, and Hader went for $26. I've bought Chapman in the past for $22 in my 11-team AL only. Iglesias is the guy who intrigues me in my AL-only this year. I may well push to low-20s on him.

Comment

the only closer I ever saw go mid-upper 30's was Mo in his prime ... now it seems even the elite guys are pretty volatile
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                        So my current ADP list looks something like this (I think it was all 50-round drafts since mid-December, 15-team NFBC):

Hader
                        Hendriks
                        ---
                        Chapman
                        R Iglesias
                        Karinchak
                        ----
                        Pressly
                        Taylor Rogers
                        Kenley
                        Hand (free agent)
                        Nick Anderson
                        Rosenthal (free agent)
                        Colome (free agent)
                        ---
                        Yates (free agent)
                        Kimbrel
                        Matt Barnes
                        Rich Rodriguez
                        Jordan Romano
                        ---
                        Will Smith
                        Pomeranz
                        Jordan Hicks
                        Melancon (free agent)
                        Greg Holland
                        -----
                        Gallegos
                        Neris
                        Tanner Rainey

I might have missed some guys. I'm not really excited about most of these options.
                        This has to be one of the thinnest closer lists ever. So many question marks even with some of the top guys.

I always wonder with Hader if this is the year they redeploy him. And this year especially with Williams lurking.

Chapman is 32 and coming off a 3 save season in 2020. Karinchak had 1 save and is unproven in the closer role.

Diaz on a hopeful Mets team should be added to the 2nd tier(?)

I also like Yimi Garcia of the Marlins and believe he will be the guy in 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                          This has to be one of the thinnest closer lists ever. So many question marks even with some of the top guys.

I always wonder with Hader if this is the year they redeploy him. And this year especially with Williams lurking.

Chapman is 32 and coming off a 3 save season in 2020. Karinchak had 1 save and is unproven in the closer role.

Diaz on a hopeful Mets team should be added to the 2nd tier(?)

I also like Yimi Garcia of the Marlins and believe he will be the guy in 2021.
                          Yeah, I added Diaz and a couple others that I had missed. Hader really scares me. Handcuffing him to Williams is a crazy high price (like two top 12 round picks for one closer?).

Comment

Chapman was high water guy at $36

Giles went $30 2 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                              Chapman was high water guy at $36

Giles went $30 2 years ago
                              We had a Giles $30 a couple years back too in 15 mixed, what a terrible investment.

Comment

Working...
                              X