No announcement yet.

2K21 Closer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Cubs bullpen from Al Yellon (4 hrs ago).

Righthanded setup: Brandon Workman, Dan Winkler, Ryan Tepera
    Workman, who had an outstanding 2019 season in Boston before posting pretty poor numbers in 2020, figures to be Kimbrel’s primary setup man. Workman has allowed three runs, all unearned, in five innings this spring with eight strikeouts. Winkler was an effective reliever for the Cubs in 2020 and so was Tepera.

Lefthanded setup: Andrew Chafin, Brad Wieck
    So far this spring, Chafin has looked like the pitcher who posted solid relief seasons for the Diamondbacks in 2018 and 2019. He was slowed by a thumb injury last year. Wieck had a late start to camp and has made just two appearances (both scoreless). Wieck has options remaining if the Cubs choose to go with someone else. That “someone else” could be Rex Brothers, who’s made six appearances this spring without allowing a run and struck out seven and walked just one in six innings.

The rest: Dillon Maples, Pedro Strop
    As I wrote in Saturday’s game recap, Strop was sitting comfortably at 94-95 miles per hour on his fastball, and if that’s the case he should be able to return to the effective pitcher he was pre-2019. He looked 100 percent healthy.

Maples? Well, I like him. BCB’s Sara Sanchez likes him. He’s out of options. I just don’t see the Cubs losing him for nothing and becoming a star somewhere else.

The rest: Dillon Maples, Pedro Strop
    As I wrote in Saturday’s game recap, Strop was sitting comfortably at 94-95 miles per hour on his fastball, and if that’s the case he should be able to return to the effective pitcher he was pre-2019. He looked 100 percent healthy.

Maples? Well, I like him. BCB’s Sara Sanchez likes him. He’s out of options. I just don’t see the Cubs losing him for nothing and becoming a star somewhere else.

Comment

• Jose LeClerc now also looks like he might be done for a long time. According to MLBTR:
      Rangers closer Jose Leclerc is suffering from elbow soreness that will cause the righty to miss “extended time,” according to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News and multiple reporters. Leclerc has already left the Rangers’ Spring Training camp and headed to Texas for further examination.
      It only makes sense that Texas would sign a guy like Shane Greene, if for no other reason than to make him the closer for a few months and then trade him if he is effective. But that would make too much sense, right?

Comment

• They do already have Ian Kennedy who is basically that guy, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          They do already have Ian Kennedy who is basically that guy, right?
          Is Ian Kennedy generally considered to be the closer in waiting for LeClerc?
          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
            Is Ian Kennedy generally considered to be the closer in waiting for LeClerc?
            The Rangers have a big mess in their bullpen and there is no clear closer with LeClerc and Hernandez out. Kennedy is a possibility. As is Matt Bush. Or just closer by committee since they don’t plan to win many games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
              The Rangers have a big mess in their bullpen and there is no clear closer with LeClerc and Hernandez out. Kennedy is a possibility. As is Matt Bush. Or just closer by committee since they don’t plan to win many games.
              With no Hernandez, and now no LeClerc, and maybe no Joely Rodriguez... I'd guess Bush or Kennedy ... unless they have a Clinton or a Biden somewhere

Comment

• Any under the radar closer types you guys are targeting? Getting into the mid-late NFBC rounds where guys like Bard and LeClerc (unfortunately for some poor sucker who just drafted him one round ago) are getting picked. Not quite into the speculative closer territory yet but probably pretty close. Jake McGee just got drafted, if that gives you an idea about where we're at. LeClerc was looking like a great option until he wasn't. Edit: Maybe Melancon? Is he the closer in Fatherville?
                More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Any under the radar closer types you guys are targeting? Getting into the mid-late NFBC rounds where guys like Bard and LeClerc (unfortunately for some poor sucker who just drafted him one round ago) are getting picked. Not quite into the speculative closer territory yet but probably pretty close. Jake McGee just got drafted, if that gives you an idea about where we're at. LeClerc was looking like a great option until he wasn't.
                  For saves in the near term, I am going for
                  Tanner Scott
                  Nick Wittgren
                  Pagan/Melancon

Comment

• Scott is a perfect one - thanks! For the others, do we think Wittgren is getting saves? Karinchak is a beast. San Diego seems pretty messy right now, but Pagan just got picked in the draft so if ever there was a Melancon time it's now.

Comment

Scott is a perfect one - thanks! For the others, do we think Wittgren is getting saves? Karinchak is a beast. San Diego seems pretty messy right now, but Pagan just got picked in the draft so if ever there was a Melancon time it's now.
                      While you can call it spec, I do believe that Wittgren will be named the closer in Cleveland over Karinchak. Yes, Karinchak is a beast with the Ks but also walks way too many to be a dependable closer imo. Plus we are basing everything on 32 major league innings and literally one save.

Wittgren has been good the past two years, he seems to be getting better, and Francona seems to trust him in high leverage situations. It is certainly a potential massive return on a small investment in any case.

Comment

• and now Yates out multiple weeks with flexor strain - https://twitter.com/NBCSEdgeBB/statu...66857397809152

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          and now Yates out multiple weeks with flexor strain - https://twitter.com/NBCSEdgeBB/statu...66857397809152
                          Well who could have seen that coming? Luckily the one league I've got him in, I handcuffed him with Romano anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                            and now Yates out multiple weeks with flexor strain - https://twitter.com/NBCSEdgeBB/statu...66857397809152
                            Isn't that how we got him cheap last time?

Comment

• How high do you bid Romano in AL only 5x5 now? Yates is great but is on a one year deal anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                                How high do you bid Romano in AL only 5x5 now? Yates is great but is on a one year deal anyway.
                                I guess it depends how much you believe in the other quasi-closers in the AL. I think Romano slides in towards the bottom of that tier. Roughly:

Hendriks
                                Chapman
                                ---
                                Pressly
                                Iglesias
                                Rosenthal
                                ---
                                Colome
                                Karinchak
                                Nick Anderson
                                Romano / Yates
                                Rafael Montero
                                ----
                                Greg Holland
                                Matt Barnes
                                -----
                                Taylor Rogers
                                Tanner Scott
                                ----
                                Ottavino
                                Pete Fairbanks
                                ----
                                Clase/Wittgren
                                Tigers mess
                                Rangers mess (added)
                                Chad Green
                                Other Rays
                                Other Royals
                                Duffey
                                Diekman
                                Last edited by joncarlos; 03-22-2021, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X