No announcement yet.

2K21 Closer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing from what Gregg originally asked, it seems a lot of us are buying somewhere from partially to entirely into speculative closers on the cheap. I haven't done my analysis yet, but if the Cubs are foolish enough to go back to Kimbrel, I'll be all over the closer in waiting there.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

supply and demand has changed since everyone seems to be hitting 30+ HR's. there's a bigger gap between the best SP than best hitters I think. or there's fewer reliable SP than hitters. you could make a similar argument for closers.

in H2H look at it from the point of view of drafting the 2 best TE's in football and playing one in a WR/TE spot. you might get the same production from the second TE as a WR, but you are hurting another manager at TE and possibly everyone slightly and causing their teams to score less points against you. (I guess you could call that the cornering the market or a cock-blocking strategy.. I am not sure how honorable it is but it's a strategy, heh)

OTOH, if you pick the wrong SP or CL studs who have a down year you're really screwed.

Comment

Brad Hand about to go to the Mets... making their bullpen awesome but even more confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...cid=uxbndlbing

Brad Hand about to go to the Mets... making their bullpen awesome but even more confusing.
          We just had our winter waiver cutdown. We are allowed to pick one of the other teams dropped players at their existing salary. Most closers have been kept/protected. $25A Diaz was dropped. I picked him up and dropped one of my eventual non-keepers.

Looks like I will be dropping Diaz come final cutdown day.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            We just had our winter waiver cutdown. We are allowed to pick one of the other teams dropped players at their existing salary. Most closers have been kept/protected. $25A Diaz was dropped. I picked him up and dropped one of my eventual non-keepers.

Looks like I will be dropping Diaz come final cutdown day.
            I still think Diaz gets the job to start, and he has the potential to be amazing. But his leash is going to be short and they may mix and match.

Comment

I still think Diaz gets the job to start, and he has the potential to be amazing. But his leash is going to be short and they may mix and match.
              I hope you are right and he is amazing.

This just posted from Rotoworld:

Updating a previous report, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Mets are not yet close to an agreement with Brad Hand.
              Rosenthal first reported earlier Friday that the two sides were closing in on a two-year contract, but now he and several other national reporters are saying there's work to be done. The Astros, Dodgers and Blue Jays are other clubs known to have interest in the free agent reliever.

RELATED: New York Mets
              SOURCE: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter
              Jan 15, 2021, 9:01 AM ET

Comment

Reds Situation.

Amir Garrett or Lucas Sims?

Garrett seems to have really found his way, but he is the only lefty currently in the pen, will this hurt his chances?

Comment

Originally posted by rotogod View Post
                  Reds Situation.

Amir Garrett or Lucas Sims?

Garrett seems to have really found his way, but he is the only lefty currently in the pen, will this hurt his chances?
                  It probably will. A lot of people like Tejay Antone too. I think Sims is probably the best bet, but I think this one could be a mess all year.

Comment

Another year where I jump at Archie Bradley only to have him set-up all season long...
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

So, what would you all say the chances are of Romano closing for Toronto at this point? When will we get clarity on it? It doesn't seem like there are many clear cut closer options still out there once Hand signs somewhere. Anyone else still out there that clearly would get the closer role over Romano?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        So, what would you all say the chances are of Romano closing for Toronto at this point? When will we get clarity on it?
                        Kirby Yates was supposed to be in today with odds of Toronto extending a contract, but possibly moving on, so I think you'll get clarity pretty quickly.

My guess is the odds of Romano closing is only about 25% - it'll hinge on Yates arm not passing, or Yates asking for an unreasonably expensive contract, and if Yates moves on for Toronto not to make a run at one or more of the established closers/RPs still on the market.

Comment

It probably will. A lot of people like Tejay Antone too. I think Sims is probably the best bet, but I think this one could be a mess all year.
                          I agree. Only way this clears up is if the Reds go out and sign a LH RP and basically announce Garrett will be given first shot. But, yeah, I'm leaning toward Sims as well, for the reasons listed and one more - Sims is farther down the arbitration chain, and giving Garrett the closer role may make his arb price increase faster. And the Reds are cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            So, what would you all say the chances are of Romano closing for Toronto at this point? When will we get clarity on it? It doesn't seem like there are many clear cut closer options still out there once Hand signs somewhere. Anyone else still out there that clearly would get the closer role over Romano?
                            Hand is apparently not on the Mets yet... he would probably close in TOR. So would maybe Rosenthal or Colome or Yates. Soria? Probably not. Osuna? Don't think the Jays would go there. Probably not Jeffress or Melancon or anyone further down.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              Kirby Yates was supposed to be in today with odds of Toronto extending a contract, but possibly moving on, so I think you'll get clarity pretty quickly.

My guess is the odds of Romano closing is only about 25% - it'll hinge on Yates arm not passing, or Yates asking for an unreasonably expensive contract, and if Yates moves on for Toronto not to make a run at one or more of the established closers/RPs still on the market.
                              I forgot about Yates. I'm impatient to see how this all settles, but also kinda surprised how quickly the top relievers are signing compared to the position players and starting pitchers.

Comment

And now Yates is officially a Blue Jay

Comment

Working...
                                X