And a pretty damned good staff too:

1 - DeGrom
    2 - Carrasco
    3 - Stroman
    4 - D.Peterson
    5 - Matz

Lugo as a swingman
    Syndergaard when he returns from TJ
    Highway robbery. Stroman is a guy that I'm pretty mixed about in terms of his 2021 outlook but a 1-2 of DeGrom and Carrasco is preeeeeeeeeeetty sweet.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      This trade was shocking. I mean, that is just cheap as hell a price to pay for Lindor and Carrasco. I have to think that most teams are scratching their heads right about now, thinking "what the hell were we doing sitting on our hands?" Or all teams have fully committed to the salary dump this year to try and recoup losses from 2020.
      I think you've hit in on the bolded sentence - I'm not sure all teams will commit to a salary dump, but a lot will - or at least take on very little salary, and those few owners willing to spend will be able to land players at values they wouldn't have dreamed of a couple years ago.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

The Cardinals built a couple of World Series teams in 2004 and 2006. Part of that was by being willing to pay top salaries to star players, eg Edmonds in 2000, Rolen in 2002. The Angels and Phillies thought that their 30+ stars were getting too expensive. There are others--Eckstein, Carpenter, Mulder.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          I think you've hit in on the bolded sentence - I'm not sure all teams will commit to a salary dump, but a lot will - or at least take on very little salary, and those few owners willing to spend will be able to land players at values they wouldn't have dreamed of a couple years ago.
          Yeah I've been thinking this as well, which makes me wonder who else (aside from the Jays) might be in on JTR or Springer ... and then there's Bauer. Not sure how I'd approach negotiating with those guys now ...
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

01.10... Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that "the belief and expectation" is that the Mets will move Seth Lugo back to the bullpen in 2021.
            Spin: Lugo mostly pitched well after being moved into the Mets' rotation down the stretch last season, although a couple bad outings made his ERA balloon to 6.15 in seven starts (he had a 36/8 K/BB ratio over 26 1/3 innings, though). While the 31-year-old would surely be just fine as a starter, the team's addition of Carlos Carrasco and return of Noah Syndergaard (elbow) around June makes it a fairly easy call to shift Lugo back to relief.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...d-chicago-cubs

well, we had a good run....
              New York Mets general manager Jared Porter sent explicit, unsolicited texts and images to a female reporter in 2016, culminating with a picture of an erect, naked penis, according to a copy of the text history obtained by ESPN.

The woman, a foreign correspondent who had moved to the United States to cover Major League Baseball, said at one point she ignored more than 60 messages from Porter before he sent the final lewd photo. The text relationship started casually before Porter, then the Chicago Cubs director of professional scouting, began complimenting her appearance, inviting her to meet him in various cities and asking why she was ignoring him. And the texts show she had stopped responding to Porter after he sent a photo of pants featuring a bulge in the groin area.

Porter continued texting her anyway, sending dozens of messages despite the lack of a response. On Aug. 11, 2016, a day after asking her to meet him at a hotel in Los Angeles, Porter sent the woman 17 pictures. The first 15 photos were of the hotel and its restaurants. The 16th was the same as an earlier photo of the bulge in the pants. The 17th was of a bare penis.

Reached by ESPN on Monday evening, Porter acknowledged texting with the woman. He initially said he had not sent any pictures of himself. When told the exchanges show he had sent selfies and other pictures, he said that "the more explicit ones are not of me. Those are like, kinda like joke-stock images."

this part is... interesting

"In December 2017, ESPN obtained the messages after being alerted to their existence by a baseball source. ESPN reached out to the woman, interviewed her and was prepared to report about the allegations but did not do so after the woman concluded her career would be harmed if the story came out. ESPN has periodically kept in touch with the woman - who since has left journalism - and, in recent days, she decided to come forward only on the condition of anonymity because she fears backlash in her home country."
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Aside from the obvious tragedy of a young women being harassed out of a career and forced into silence for fear of victim blaming, which is just heartbreaking, I have to express my utter lack of understanding at the unsolicited dick pic. I would say it is generational, but Porter is just three years younger than me. I just do not get it, at all. Like, what is the mind frame that suggests that is ever a good idea? I have not had many conversations with women to know this for certain, but my assumption is that a woman seeing a penis pic from a man she is not already attracted to and with whom she has been engaging in consensual electronic foreplay does not suddenly make her reconsider her stance on having sex with said guy, no matter how charming his genitalia might be. I just do not get the move at all--absolutely zero upside and all the downside in the word, for all involved.

Comment

Aaaaannnd he was fired.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    Aside from the obvious tragedy of a young women being harassed out of a career and forced into silence for fear of victim blaming, which is just heartbreaking, I have to express my utter lack of understanding at the unsolicited dick pic. I would say it is generational, but Porter is just three years younger than me. I just do not get it, at all. Like, what is the mind frame that suggests that is ever a good idea? I have not had many conversations with women to know this for certain, but my assumption is that a woman seeing a penis pic from a man she is not already attracted to and with whom she has been engaging in consensual electronic foreplay does not suddenly make her reconsider her stance on having sex with said guy, no matter how charming his genitalia might be. I just do not get the move at all--absolutely zero upside and all the downside in the word, for all involved.
                    I don't remember who but some stand up comedian does a bit about how you're expecting the woman to react when she receives a dick pic ... it's a good bit
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                    X