And so it has begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Not paying your lawyer seems like a bad plan for someone who is about to be involved in quite a bit of litigation. But what do I know?
    I would suspect he could do a better job representing himself than having Rudy, Lin Wood or Sidney Powell out there making his case for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      This thread has taken on a surprisingly introspective tone...so I guess I'll jump in and bare a bit of my soul as well. I used to be a regular poster in the sportsbar, the serious area well before it was separated into the sections that we have today. I'd debate, fight, and stay up far too long waiting for a response from whoever, or a group to see if I'd changed any minds, or if there was an insult to me. I finally grew tired about 5-7 years ago and just stopped posting for a while, the Trump years were nothing but a shit show, as we all know, and dragged the general tenor of the place down with it. I would chime in occasionally, but mainly with news tidbits, rarely opinions anymore. I got along well with Bernie, who MIGHT be the only poster that I can recall off the top of my head who would actually admit that he might be wrong.

So I gained some peace of mind, grabbed a little of my sanity back, and got a lot more sleep not formulating replies to posts as I struggled to fall asleep. I'm much happier now, and I doubt that I'll ever dive back into the fray on any frequent basis, but I'll always lurk and post if something REALLY gets under my skin. I'll be 66 years old in March, so I guess I've mellowed...I went from a Bush 1 Republican, to a Clinton Democrat, to a Bush 2 (2nd term) GOPer, and now a full fledged Blue with a capital B. I've got a multi-racial family now, and I see 1st hand the racism that they've faced. What happened this summer enraged me and frightened me...as a person with a White Skin, it was a slap of reality to see how quickly people shed their thin veneers of civility. That's the real horror of the Trump years to me, it allowed people to show publicly that they are racists and fascists. And to be PROUD of the fact. They were always there, but rarely poked their heads out from under their rocks, because they KNEW that their ideas were not mainstream and that they would be shunned...now, it's all out in the open, which might be a good thing, or not. I can't claim to know.

I hope the Biden/Harris years are good to us a a nation, and heal us as much as we can heal. I hope that policies are put into place that protect people and the environment, repair the damage done world-wide, and start to heal us as a nation. I also hope that social media has learned that it has an awesome power, and frankly, needs to self-police much more aggressively than it has in the past.

I'll still be around reading, and occasionally posting, but my days of going to bed angry are long gone, and I'm better off for it. Peace...
      Now, I'm remembering the classic SteveP argument from YEARS ago. You were at the forefront of that. Ah, the memories.

Comment

• Horns! Ditto much of what you said, if I post once a week that is plenty. I may take time to post something honest, something I did some introspection on, or present what I think gives weight to the idea that if there is such a thing as right/wrong or good vs evil, and where a certain action sits. I now know, ahead of time, it will most likely be met with snark, or deliberate twisting of what was said, or otherwise slightly tripping on what is essentially a different world view to the extent that we are talking past each other. And that is fine, its cool. Would hope everyone is trying to be honest to themselves when they post, and not trying to score points or play gotcha, there are no hawaii vacations being awarded on this game show.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          This thread has taken on a surprisingly introspective tone...so I guess I'll jump in and bare a bit of my soul as well. I used to be a regular poster in the sportsbar, the serious area well before it was separated into the sections that we have today. I'd debate, fight, and stay up far too long waiting for a response from whoever, or a group to see if I'd changed any minds, or if there was an insult to me. I finally grew tired about 5-7 years ago and just stopped posting for a while, the Trump years were nothing but a shit show, as we all know, and dragged the general tenor of the place down with it. I would chime in occasionally, but mainly with news tidbits, rarely opinions anymore. I got along well with Bernie, who MIGHT be the only poster that I can recall off the top of my head who would actually admit that he might be wrong.

So I gained some peace of mind, grabbed a little of my sanity back, and got a lot more sleep not formulating replies to posts as I struggled to fall asleep. I'm much happier now, and I doubt that I'll ever dive back into the fray on any frequent basis, but I'll always lurk and post if something REALLY gets under my skin. I'll be 66 years old in March, so I guess I've mellowed...I went from a Bush 1 Republican, to a Clinton Democrat, to a Bush 2 (2nd term) GOPer, and now a full fledged Blue with a capital B. I've got a multi-racial family now, and I see 1st hand the racism that they've faced. What happened this summer enraged me and frightened me...as a person with a White Skin, it was a slap of reality to see how quickly people shed their thin veneers of civility. That's the real horror of the Trump years to me, it allowed people to show publicly that they are racists and fascists. And to be PROUD of the fact. They were always there, but rarely poked their heads out from under their rocks, because they KNEW that their ideas were not mainstream and that they would be shunned...now, it's all out in the open, which might be a good thing, or not. I can't claim to know.

I hope the Biden/Harris years are good to us a a nation, and heal us as much as we can heal. I hope that policies are put into place that protect people and the environment, repair the damage done world-wide, and start to heal us as a nation. I also hope that social media has learned that it has an awesome power, and frankly, needs to self-police much more aggressively than it has in the past.

I'll still be around reading, and occasionally posting, but my days of going to bed angry are long gone, and I'm better off for it. Peace...

Thanks for sharing.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
            there are no hawaii vacations being awarded on this game show.
            is this point negotiable? I really need to go to hawaii, I've never been.

Comment

It's the best.

Comment

It's just another state. Like Nebraska or Kansas or something.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  It's just another state. Like Nebraska or Kansas or something.
                  But with volcanos
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    But with volcanos
                    And shave ice.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      And shave ice.
                      shaved ice... : pa-tuh :

Philly Wooder Ice is where it's at.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        And shave ice.
                        That's why they call it paradise
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• For Art

maga.jpg

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• There is some irony to me expressing this now, as I'm dealing with the immediate concern of some pretty bad stomach pain, but I wanted to echo the agenda everyone else has so far, but really highlight my concern that the real and pressing issues of the moment, I fear, are putting climate change on the back burner, which is troubling. I get focusing on the more immediate issues, but long term, nothing we are dealing with in terms of social justice, poverty, pandemic, overall health and well being is as dire and significant in terms of its impact on all life on this planet as the devastating impact we are having on the environment. Even as we tend to everything else, it needs to be kept at the forefront. Here is yet another article that just came out that makes this point, with facts that are deeply disturbing: https://theconversation.com/worried-...n-grasp-153091

Comment

• Guy flying the confederate flag (that's.....just hard to even type, honestly) inside the Capitol has been identified and arrested. Guy who threw a fire extinguisher at cops (unknown whether he is the one who murdered the police officer who died from head trauma) has been identified and arrested. Podium guy identified and arrested.

Here's a site chronicling the arrests and charges levied against the domestic terrorists: https://extremism.gwu.edu/Capitol-Hill-Cases

No serious charges filed (yet) as far as I can tell.

Edit: Confederate flag guy is a retired firefighter.
                              Last edited by Bene Futuis; 01-14-2021, 03:42 PM.
                              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                                But with volcanos
                                And fewer dinosaurs
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X