Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I don't think anyone is discussing political success. Ok someone was, lol
    I'm admittedly cynical enough to believe that virtually everything in Washington DC ties to political advantage. Diogenes would have required an endless supply of lantern oil to have been successful in his search in DC.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      and snark.

It's sarcasm that comes with a notable dollop of truth.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        I'm admittedly cynical enough to believe that virtually everything in Washington DC ties to political advantage. Diogenes would have required an endless supply of lantern oil to have been successful in his search in DC.
        Sure....but at some point enough is enough. I texted with my old cubicle partner today. He is a die hard Republican and conservative. He said anyone who who entered the Capitol should have been shot. Whether or not I agree, I appreciate that he has some beliefs beyond rooting for his red team. Isn't there some point at which reasonable people can agree that the trump path is horribly wrong, regardless of your political party ?
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

It's sarcasm that comes with a notable dollop of truth.
          Just in good natured fun. But you know that--the GIF was for others who might not be as insightful.
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Sure....but at some point enough is enough. I texted with my old cubicle partner today. He is a die hard Republican and conservative. He said anyone who who entered the Capitol should have been shot. Whether or not I agree, I appreciate that he has some beliefs beyond rooting for his red team. Isn't there some point at which reasonable people can agree that the trump path is horribly wrong, regardless of your political party ?
            Do you or anyone else think what trump is doing is good for anyone ?
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Do you or anyone else think what trump is doing is good for anyone ?
              That is what is most dissapointing/distressing to me. How can any conservative/Republican watch this shit and not wake up and turn away from it. Leave that asshole behind and be a conservative party based on principles, not a cult of personality
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

That is what is most dissapointing/distressing to me. How can any conservative/Republican watch this shit and not wake up and turn away from it. Leave that asshole behind and be a conservative party based on principles, not a cult of personality
                I would disagree for the most part, but at least i could understand. Blindly following trump is really tough for me to comprehend. And the number of people who do is depressing
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Here's the dirty little secret: Republicans don't actually stand for anything and the trite platitudes they've foisted upon the rest of us for the last 40 years have been made in bad faith.
                  More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

That is what is most dissapointing/distressing to me.
                    What's MOST distressing to me is the idea that our vision of separation of powers was all a lie. While it didn't happen this time, the concepts were in place. President does *whatever he wants*, president appoints judges who say that the president can do whatever he wants. President continues doing whatever he wants, up to and including making himself a dictator. It didn't happen this time, but it *could have*.

Where's the checks and balances?

Comment

I would disagree for the most part, but at least i could understand. Blindly following trump is really tough for me to comprehend. And the number of people who do is depressing
                      the least you could do is switch to your alt if you are going to have a conversation with yourself here.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

First off, I apologize, since I apparently came off that way. I read your question as a pretty direct one and a pretty much either/or answer. I misunderstood, and my answer must have appeared snarky. That was not my intent.

You are correct that I post little in depth in here anymore. Stopped circa 2017 on that; the toxicity just wasn't worth it.
                        I appreciate the apology and the clarification.

But I will also say that I am not very motivated to take your contributions in this forum seriously under those terms. Which again, is fine, if disappointing.

Personally, I (attempt to) choose to quit engaging with those posters in this forum with whom I don't find the conversations productive and engage with those with whom I do. There's even an ignore function that helps with that. You obviously don't have to take the approach I've taken (not always perfectly), but you don't contribute much to this forum in the current mode, and that's disappointing to me because I think you could.

Edit to add: I'm not sure what your purpose in being in this forum is. Maybe it's just blowing off steam or getting some cheap entertainment. But if you are trying to gently nudge people toward the truth and don't want to come out and actually advocate for a position because you think the resulting discussion will turn toxic, I will also say that pointing out "hey you might be wrong in this small way here" without actually saying what you yourself believe is not an approach that I think helps anyone change their viewpoints or beliefs. I've had my beliefs changed by people in this forum, but it was by people like B-Fly and eldiablo who advocated clearly for what they believed and explained why. It gave me a window into how other people lived and thought, and it was helpful in my own journey.
                        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Putting an exclamation point on the dangers of white supremacy and violent Trump supporters: there are more US troops in DC for Biden's inauguration than in Afghanistan and Iraq combined. Look what we've come to.
                          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            the least you could do is switch to your alt if you are going to have a conversation with yourself here.
                            you mean a different alt than "heyelander" ?
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              I'd rather have a conversation with myself here than anywhere else. Why are you so negative ?
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                                Putting an exclamation point on the dangers of white supremacy and violent Trump supporters: there are more US troops in DC for Biden's inauguration than in Afghanistan and Iraq combined. Look what we've come to.
                                why are you advocating for more troops in Afghanistan and Iraq ? ha ha
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X