No announcement yet.

And so it has begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delete "it seems like" and you'd be spot on, Feral.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      Delete "it seems like" and you'd be spot on, Feral.
      yeah, you got me there : )
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        it seems like Facebook and many others in the media have figured out that they make a lot more money not filtering out the BS and lies. Feeding people what they want to hear and demonizing the other side is much more profitable. Truth or accuracy is not much of a consideration. Not sure how things will get better.
        They'll get better when we hold these media companies to account. In other words, never.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
          They'll get better when we hold these media companies to account. In other words, never.
          Holding anyone in America accountable who has lots of money or power just isn't something we do. Wish that wasn't true
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Holding anyone in America accountable who has lots of money or power just isn't something we do. Wish that wasn't true
            Nope. I read something how the rich have just changed all the laws (via bribing corrupt politicians) so they no longer have to worry about breaking them.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
              It's deeper than the "my grandma" thing. In fact IMO there's a positive correlation between intelligence level and the *ability* to utilize those cognitive skills to convince themselves (and others) that some conspiracy garbage is actually true. If you start out wanting to believe vaccines are more dangerous than COVID or that the "dirty libs" have a secret cabal of child molesters, you now have both the means (your own cognitive skills) and the data (a bunch of ubiquitous "information" that supports literally any idea you can imagine) to be able to build a credible case to support it.

Discernment is not the same as intelligence. That discerning, filtering ability is what we are really in need of the most, along with an open mind willing to follow the path the data leads as opposed to choosing data that supports your initial bias.
              Yeah, as FS says, algorithms designed to maximize clicks doesn't help, as it just pushes people down and down further into their own self-biases. And while the internet has connected people in wonderful ways, it has also allowed some groups of people to gain a lot of power that would too diluted within the larger mixture of our society to be as dangerous as they now can be. It used to be every town maybe had one or two whack-a-doodles. Now, all of those people can get together in an echo chamber that gets amplified by algorithms that are entirely amoral.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                Nope. I read something how the rich have just changed all the laws (via bribing corrupt politicians) so they no longer have to worry about breaking them.
                There is more wrong being done to humanity in whatever neighborhood Jeff Bezos lives in than in whatever "high-crime" neighborhood people think needs more policing.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  There is more wrong being done to humanity in whatever neighborhood Jeff Bezos lives in than in whatever "high-crime" neighborhood people think needs more policing.
                  And he lives in all of our neighborhoods....
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

And he lives in all of our neighborhoods....
                    We are all Jeff Bezos, now that we have been microchipped.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                        We are all Jeff Bezos, now that we have been microchipped.
                        Frickin salad dressing
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Frickin salad dressing
                          And breast milk.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                            And breast milk.
                            easy there bruh
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• A Trump-endorsed Republican candidate for Arizona governor, Kari Lake, has called for criminal prosecutions of both members of the media as well as Arizona election officials because of the "findings" of the Arizona FORENSIC audit. Like, what the fuck?
                              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                                A Trump-endorsed Republican candidate for Arizona governor, Kari Lake, has called for criminal prosecutions of both members of the media as well as Arizona election officials because of the "findings" of the Arizona FORENSIC audit. Like, what the fuck?
                                I, for one, welcome our new cyber ninja overlords.

Comment

Working...
                                X