And so it has begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
    Well, yes. He's a moron. I think that's been pretty clearly established.
    Impossible. The bookies had him 100% NOT A MORON.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
      Is there a person who is more likely to bet on politics? My guess is the betting people were more pro-trump, just because of flags and shit. Trump people knew God would bring this home, while Biden people were a bit more concerned. That's going to skew the odds.
      I have always been confused by anyone having the mindset that God will guide events to preferred outcomes. How can anyone thinking this reconcile the question of evil? How many times can you chalk up outcomes you don't want after praying to a God you believe will influence your life as "mysterious ways" before you lose faith?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        I have always been confused by anyone having the mindset that God will guide events to preferred outcomes. How can anyone thinking this reconcile the question of evil? How many times can you chalk up outcomes you don't want after praying to a God you believe will influence your life as "mysterious ways" before you lose faith?
        I think if you're a person of faith, you should probably reflect on why your desired outcome is not supported by God and maybe question if you are desiring the Godly outcome. Not question God.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          I think if you're a person of faith, you should probably reflect on why your desired outcome is not supported by God and maybe question if you are desiring the Godly outcome. Not question God.
          Well, for some people of faith that reflection leads them to decide God is punishing America by letting Biden win cuz of other things they don't like, like gay marriage. So, no matter what happens, their entrenched belief system only gets more entrenched.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            I have always been confused by anyone having the mindset that God will guide events to preferred outcomes.
            Unfortunately, it's an easy heresy to fall into. Prosperity theology, works-based faith, and good old-fashioned entitlement all drive that way.

How many times can you chalk up outcomes you don't want after praying to a God you believe will influence your life as "mysterious ways" before you lose faith?
            In my case, it's pretty easy, as James 4:3 (prefer the New Living Translation for this one) explains most often why I fail. Others mileage may vary.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              Unfortunately, it's an easy heresy to fall into. Prosperity theology, works-based faith, and good old-fashioned entitlement all drive that way.

In my case, it's pretty easy, as James 4:3 (prefer the New Living Translation for this one) explains most often why I fail. Others mileage may vary.
              Eh, that verse doesn't cover all the reasons why someone would pray. Not everyone who prays does it selfishly, and certainly not everyone who prays thinks that they pray selfishly, which goes back to the questions of how a belief system that includes a belief that God will answer individual prayers is resilient in the face of the evidence he does not (even for ones with the most selfless intentions).

But, I'm side tracking this thread, although the title could easily apply to the rapture as well. In fact, this should be the title of the thread for that if it happens. I'm sure most of us will still be around to discuss it after it happens.

Comment

• Trump similarities to Jim Jones:
                Last edited by madducks; 08-02-2021, 02:02 PM.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Just to sum up:

- Former Guy's popularity rating was sub 40% throughout his regime;
                  - Former Guy laid the groundwork for a loss excuse throughout the previous year, saying the only way he could lose was not because he was unpopular, but only if the Dems cheated;
                  - Former Guy has a history of claiming the other side cheats when he loses;
                  - Former Guy loses badly;
                  - Former Guy can't bear to have lost, says the Dems cheated, which we all know is impossible and was not proven at all;
                  - Former Guy's cultists totally buy his "Dems cheated" storyline because they've drank the Kool-Aid;
                  - Former Guy uses the power of his office and starts to pressure local officials with outlandish and conspiratorial cheating accusations he saw on the internet or Fox News, and much of this is captured in emails or on voicemails;
                  - Former Guy uses the power of his office and pressures the DoJ to just claim the election was fraudulent without any evidence;
                  - Former Guy feeds VP Pence as a red-meat scapegoat to his cultists, imploring him to throw the election and to "do the right thing";
                  - Former Guy holds a "Stop the Steal" rally and incites his cultists to raid the Capitol in order to stop the Electoral College count.

And, umm, it was the Dems who "cheated?"

I've always said the best trait Former Guy had was to brainwash his cult, and man, in spite of all the absolutely overwhelming evidence that HE was the one cheating, he's managed to convince them THE DEMS were cheating.

Can you imagine if Richard Nixon had that trait? Former Guy makes Nixon look like a choirboy.

Comment

• Trump's overt, illegal efforts to overturn the will of the American people are the single greatest crime (or series of crimes) a US President has ever committed.
                    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• We are really seeing the full picture and depth of the conspiracy of former guy and other government officials to engage in a coup against the rightfully elected federal administration. Merrick Garland needs to do the right thing and bring charges against this piece of shit and everyone else who participated in the attempted overthrow of our government. Each individual act committed is beyond the pale - together, as mentioned, this constitutes the greatest series of crimes ever committed by a President.
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Burgeoning Trumptard Herschel Walker, who is contemplating a run for the Georgia Senate largely upon TFG's lies (how sad is that), was discovered that his wife voted in the Georgia election despite living -- and claiming a homestead exemption -- in Texas.

Walker posted these tweets in November:

Comment

• Almost a third of Republicans believe that Trump will be reinstated as President this year. Hard to believe this is an actual political party, much less one of the big two. It's astonishing to me how many gullible rubes believe the Big Lie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                            Almost a third of Republicans believe that Trump will be reinstated as President this year. Hard to believe this is an actual political party, much less one of the big two. It's astonishing to me how many gullible rubes believe the Big Lie.
                            These folks were already on the fringe of reality, it didn't take much to push them of the edge of their Flat Earth Lives.
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Almost a third of Republicans believe that Trump will be reinstated as President this year. Hard to believe this is an actual political party, much less one of the big two. It's astonishing to me how many gullible rubes believe the Big Lie.
                              According to Pillow Guy, it's supposed to happen any day now!

Comment

Do the people who answer yes to that kind of survey question really believe that, or is that simply a way of signaling that they are true conservatives and stating which side they are on to the pollster?

If someone were to ask me in a poll which team I thought was going to win the World Series this year, I might be torn between answering with my head and my heart. I can imagine a similar dynamic with this kind of poll question.
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X