Coolest team name ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolest team name ever?

BA published an article today listing the 120 affiliated minor league teams for 2021 and the leagues they're in. I perused the list and saw some names I've never seen before. Among them was a team called the Rocket City Trash Pandas. This was such an unusual name that I had to look it up. At first I thought "Trash Pandas" was something some marketing person dreamed up or maybe some imaginative fan that sent in suggestions for a team name. Turns out that a Trash Panda is another name for a raccoon, which makes sense if you think about it. I had no idea where Rocket City was. I would have guessed somewhere in the Houston area or maybe the central Florida Atlantic coast. Turns out that it is Huntsville, Alabama (they have a lot of tech and aerospace there).

Lots of other changes. What used to be the Carolina League is now the MId-Atlantic League. The NOrthwest League is now a HI-A League moving up from Short-Season-A and will have only 6 teams. No more INternational League or PCL - these are now the East/Midwest AAA League and the West AAA League. The Midwest League has moved up from LOw-A to HI-A and the Florida State and California Leagues have moved down from HI-A to Low-A and there will be 3 LO-A leagues instead of 2 as was the case before. Many of the teams from the now defunct Short-Season-A NY-Penn League are now in the Mid-Atlantic League, including the Orioles affiliate, Aberdeen. It replaces Frederick as the org's HI-A affiliate and Frederick will now be in the MLB Draft League, a league for draft-eligible amateurs. Some teams in previously independent leagues, including Sugar Land and St Paul, will now be Triple-A affiliates. The Appalachian League will now be a wood-bat summer Collegiate league. The PIoneer League will be an MLB "Partner league". There will no longer be any affiliated short-season baseball and in all 43 affiliated teams lost their affiliations.

It is going to take some getting used to with no more IL or PCL. I'm going to miss the short season leagues up here in NC as I had many within decent driving distance. The facilities weren't always great, but $7 to sit behind home plate and watch top prospects was nice. Now I'll at least have to finally make it to Greenville and Winston-Salem for games. The Rays have a team down in Charleston again, so that'll be a road trip this summer.

Comment

Working...
    X