2K21 Dynasty League Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
    Are people thinking Mitch Keller isn't a keeper?
    I'd be hard pressed to spend $3 on Mitch Keller in a 15 team mixed roto, much less $13.

Comment

Are people thinking Mitch Keller isn't a keeper?
      Not for me, either. There's likely talent and upside there, but he's not someone I'd spend $13 on in your format.

I realize it's a very limited database, but his 2020 stats are the most bizarre I've ever seen.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

This is true. It's more of a dynasty hybrid. We limited the number of keepers to make sure the auction is still a significant part of the season. It's modeled after this league: http://www.fantasyxperts.com/
        Interesting. Our league is modeled very similarly (we too keep 15 and can keep a guy for a very long time), but it predates the xperts league. But yeah, hard to translate it to what other people normally do, because it isn't a dynasty league, but trade decisions, values, and extensions lean toward that way more than what most folks are used to that play more traditional keeper leagues. It makes you consider keeping young potential studs over more proven older talent as it does in dynasties. Or at least it does in my league, but that is partly because we also keep 20 minor leaguers, and have a $400 cap, so the value of young, cheap studs is greater, pushing it more toward dynasty valuations, as you can extend a player longer and still have him at a great price.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Interesting. Our league is modeled very similarly (we too keep 15 and can keep a guy for a very long time), but it predates the xperts league. But yeah, hard to translate it to what other people normally do, because it isn't a dynasty league, but trade decisions, values, and extensions lean toward that way more than what most folks are used to that play more traditional keeper leagues. It makes you consider keeping young potential studs over more proven older talent as it does in dynasties. Or at least it does in my league, but that is partly because we also keep 20 minor leaguers, and have a $400 cap, so the value of young, cheap studs is greater, pushing it more toward dynasty valuations, as you can extend a player longer and still have him at a great price.
          Odd, maybe I'm thinking of it different, but it seems really similar to a standard roto keeper to me.

Lets take a few examples.

1) Expensive player you bought in auction. Normally overpriced slightly for inflation. Say $40 for a $30 player?

Typical keeper league -

y1) $40
          y2) keep at $40 if they overperformed, otherwise throw back

"xperts"

y1) $40
          y2) keep at $45 if they overperformed a decent amount

2) Top prospect reserve round 1 type rookie

Typical keeper league

y1) $15
          y2) $15
          y3) possible 3 year extension - $30
          y4) $30
          y5) $30
          y6) $30
          avg cost - $25

"xperts"

y1) $15
          y2) $20
          y3) $25
          y4) $30
          y5) $35
          y6) $40
          avg cost - $27.5

3) Low level prospect drafted in reserves who turns into a decent fantasy player

Typical keeper league

y1) $2
          y2) $2
          y3) 4 year extension - $22
          y4) $22
          y5) $22
          y6) $22
          y7) $22
          avg cost - $16

"xperts"

y1) $2
          y2) $7
          y3) $12
          y4) $17
          y5) $22
          y6) $27
          y7) $32
          avg cost - $17

I'm sure there are other iterations and examples, but I'm really not seeing how the decisions are significantly different than a typical keeper league. Especially in the long run. If anything it's slightly *less* dynasty in that the cost increases occur immediately and it's harder to keep a player long term.

Comment

In the XFL, we don't auction the reserves. All reserves are assigned a $1 contract. Players qualifying as FARM are +3. Mike Trout has never been in the active auction. He'll be $31 this season. Barring an injury, Trout could make it to 2015 ($43) or 2016 ($46) before he's even considered a throwback (OBP league).

I've always called it a keeper-dynasty league since there is a turnover of players (keeper) but you have to rebuild for several seasons to open a window to compete (dynasty).

Because the top prospects are never traded (though the assclown who drafted Trout traded him and Freddie Freeman for an ill-fated run at the title back when he had brown and not gray hair, not to mention more of it), it has developed more of a dynasty feel. Draft picks are commonly traded.

It's also important to note we have no jellybeans on the line. I've often wondered how some of the members would approach the league if there were some shekels involved.
            Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
              In the XFL, we don't auction the reserves. All reserves are assigned a $1 contract. Players qualifying as FARM are +3. Mike Trout has never been in the active auction. He'll be $31 this season. Barring an injury, Trout could make it to 2015 ($43) or 2016 ($46) before he's even considered a throwback (OBP league).

I've always called it a keeper-dynasty league since there is a turnover of players (keeper) but you have to rebuild for several seasons to open a window to compete (dynasty).

Because the top prospects are never traded (though the assclown who drafted Trout traded him and Freddie Freeman for an ill-fated run at the title back when he had brown and not gray hair, not to mention more of it), it has developed more of a dynasty feel. Draft picks are commonly traded.

It's also important to note we have no jellybeans on the line. I've often wondered how some of the members would approach the league if there were some shekels involved.
              We decided not to do the +$3 for the entire length of a player being kept cause for the reason that a player would never be available. Also I don't want to think about the tracking that would need to be done for that. We toned it down a little and changed things with the auction for the reserve. I didn't like the idea of that many $1 players floating around.

I trade Nate Pearson at $2 this year, not as bad as Trout but it stings since I finished in the last money spot. Barely making it worth it. I'm going to try to get him back this off season.

Curious to know if you have any different thoughts on my team than what has been discussed. I know our league rules are a little different from yours but you are more familiar with this setup than most others.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

With these prices there's definitely more of a keeper feel, and that's obviously cool.

Off the cuff, hard to say without knowing more about what can be bought at the auction, etc...

YES
                Travis D'Arnaud $6
                Luke Voit $10
                Tim Anderson $22
                Alec Bohm $6
                Isiah Kiner-Falefa $6
                J.D. Davis $6
                Zac Gallen $17

PROBABLY

Freddie Freeman $48
                Kole Calhoun $6
                Charlie Morton $24

Look to deal but could keep
                Ronald Acuna $56
                Jacob DeGrom $49
                Zack Greinke $32

MAYBE
                Jose Leclerc $6
                Tanner Houck $5
                Trevor Rosenthal $6

Comment

Thanks Todd!

You can draft anyone affiliated with a major league team at the auction.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Thanks Todd!

You can draft anyone affiliated with a major league team at the auction.
                    I meant more the quality of player. Will you be able to backfill with ample cheap players to compete with expensive keepers, etc.

I suppose an in-season cap would also affect keeper decisions.

We just had the XFL auction online a couple weeks ago. First time we weren't live in Arizona. But, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
                      I meant more the quality of player. Will you be able to backfill with ample cheap players to compete with expensive keepers, etc.

I suppose an in-season cap would also affect keeper decisions.

We just had the XFL auction online a couple weeks ago. First time we weren't live in Arizona. But, you gotta do what you gotta do.
                      Gotcha. That makes more sense. It's hard to say what expensive players will be kept. There is no in-season cap.

It was no fun not making the trip to Arizona this year. Probably for the best for me with a new baby boy to contend with.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I traded Walker Buehler $41 for Nate Pearson $2 ($5 for this year). The nice thing about the rookie eligible players like Pearson and Houck is that they are keepers in the reserve auction and don't count against the main salary budget.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I traded Freddie Freeman $48 with other players I had no intention of keeping for Zach Please $11. Prices are 2011. (Not sure if anyone cares about my trades)

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I like both those deals. Freeing up about $90 in budget money gives you a lot of options.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I traded Freddie Freeman $48 with other players I had no intention of keeping for Zach Please $11. Prices are 2011. (Not sure if anyone cares about my trades)
                              Seems like a good deal. Plus you rolled the clock back 10 years
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              ---------------------------------------------
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                                Seems like a good deal. Plus you rolled the clock back 10 years
                                Thanks. I needed to get cheaper. This deal and the Buehler/Pearson deal really helped that.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X