Rank the 2020 draftees and international signings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank the 2020 draftees and international signings

I will be conducting our prospect draft lottery tonight and I managed to trade for a lottery pick (bottom r8 of 14 teams from last year get a pick). I have never had one before and I wanted the thrill. It have 6 out of 52 chances at the 1st pick, which would be Tork, but I feel good about any of the picks as this seems to be a deep draft, especially for pitching. I'm not as familiar with the internationals yet--I don't see any Martians jumping out at me this year, so would love feedback. Who are your top 8 draftees and international players?

My top 5 are Tork, Martin, Veen, Lacy, and Hancock, but it gets murky after that as I like a bunch more guys about the same.

Its such a weird year for prospect drafts without any recent stats. All you have to go on are draft results and payment amounts.

I'm excited for the internationals, Sugano in particular sounds good. But I'll wait for other responses as I haven't dug deeply myself yet.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      Its such a weird year for prospect drafts without any recent stats. All you have to go on are draft results and payment amounts.

I'm excited for the internationals, Sugano in particular sounds good. But I'll wait for other responses as I haven't dug deeply myself yet.
      Kiley McDaniel sees Sugano as a #4, so I don't think he is a first rounder in my league, unless McDaniel is wrong on him. Even if he is better, at 31 and with a lot of mileage, not sure how long he lasts.

Comment

Gah, so mad at myself. I was excited to finally be in the lottery for the first time ever, but got nervous I wouldn't get a high pick and traded it along with one year of Glasnow for a $1 Plesac. And of course that pick turned into #1 overall. I would not have given Tork and Glasnow. Ah well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Gah, so mad at myself. I was excited to finally be in the lottery for the first time ever, but got nervous I wouldn't get a high pick and traded it along with one year of Glasnow for a $1 Plesac. And of course that pick turned into #1 overall. I would not have given Tork and Glasnow. Ah well.
          I would hate trading lottery picks that aren't settled. Sorry your risk turned sour, but hopefully you get good innings out of Plesac. I like him a lot.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Wait, what? You made a possibly bad trade?
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              Wait, what? You made a possibly bad trade?
              Possibly. I do like Plesac, and was also able to unload Treinen in that deal. I don't regret the deal as much as the fact that had I waited, I could have made the deal and gotten even more. The weird thing is, the fellow I made the deal with just traded the pick and the Martian to get Berrios. I guess he likes Berrios more, even though Berrios costs more. I see them as pretty even, and Plesac's cheaper costs makes him more appealing to me, though Plesac has a shorter track record.

Either way, Tork should be a beast. Clear cut number 1 guy to me from this class. Anyone else disagree? Still curious about how you all rank the top guys.

Comment

Possibly. I do like Plesac, and was also able to unload Treinen in that deal. I don't regret the deal as much as the fact that had I waited, I could have made the deal and gotten even more. The weird thing is, the fellow I made the deal with just traded the pick and the Martian to get Berrios. I guess he likes Berrios more, even though Berrios costs more. I see them as pretty even, and Plesac's cheaper costs makes him more appealing to me, though Plesac has a shorter track record.

Either way, Tork should be a beast. Clear cut number 1 guy to me from this class. Anyone else disagree? Still curious about how you all rank the top guys.
                Dominguez and Tork for Berrios? Do I have that right? If so, thats nutty.

I've heard that this year's first year player drafts are even more of a crapshoot than usual after the first 5-10 picks.

The reason I mentioned Sugano is that the opportunity cost is greatly diminished. Whereas Tork or The Martian or other drafted players require 2-5 years of minor league seasoning, and a roster spot all those years too, mature draftees you get to see the coin flip right off the bat, no waiting. They work out or they don't. It seems to me that without minor league stats, after the 1st rd I'd target the mature international signings primarily for that reason. I'd even rather take a shot on a KBO low-probability guy than someone I'm forced to wait years on with nothing other than scouting reports. But that's pretty specific for this year. I normally dig and dig to find gems, but its nearly impossible without stats. I'll need to research these mature international signings though. It will be easier to forecast when we see their signing bonuses.

Comment

Yeah, the Berrios deal made no sense to me as the whole reason he did my deal is to have a shot at Tork. The full deal was he gave #1 and the Martian for $25 Berrios locked up for 4 years and the #14 pick. He likes Berrios better than Plesac. I hear you on opportunity costs--it is the play I used to go with most of the time, but I've recently leaned towad the higher upside plays, because my league is a 14-16 team mixed league (fluctuates) and in that environment, I find going for the home run leads to more profit, even if you strike out more often. So, guy like Christian Hernandez with the Arod comp is a better bet than a guy like Sugano, even though Suugano is ready now and Hernandez won't see the majors under president Biden. The calculation is different, I am sure, for a deeper league.

Comment

Sugano might not see the majors under a President Biden either...

There's added cost to rostering the 16-17 year olds, but you're absolutely right the only way to obtain the elite prospects is to scoop them as teenagers.

In one of the RJ dynasty leagues that started last year I went with entirely ultra young unknown bats with my higher picks, and later picks on older SP ready to graduate. Dane Dunning was one of those very late picks, so it seems like a good strategy so far...

Even if I won't be seeing Puason, Hedbert Perez, or Erick Pena until the AOC presidency.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                      Sugano might not see the majors under a President Biden either...

There's added cost to rostering the 16-17 year olds, but you're absolutely right the only way to obtain the elite prospects is to scoop them as teenagers.

In one of the RJ dynasty leagues that started last year I went with entirely ultra young unknown bats with my higher picks, and later picks on older SP ready to graduate. Dane Dunning was one of those very late picks, so it seems like a good strategy so far...

Even if I won't be seeing Puason, Hedbert Perez, or Erick Pena until the AOC presidency.
                      Lol, I walked right into the Biden set up.

Another factor is how many minor league slots you have. My league has 20, so I can afford to swing and miss on far away gambles. If we only had five instead, I'd value guys like Sugano waaay more.

Comment

Working...
                      X