Negro Leagues now Considered a "Major League"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negro Leagues now Considered a "Major League"

Commissioner Manfred has declared that the Negro Leagues will be recognized as a Major League, so all stats accumulated there are now considered a part of MLB's legacy and leaderboards.

Originally posted by revo View Post
    Commissioner Manfred has declared that the Negro Leagues will be recognized as a Major League, so all stats accumulated there are now considered a part of MLB's legacy and leaderboards.
    Your first thought to post this was to put it here and not it's VD ramifications!?!?! Dude!
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      That's nice and probably appropriate but I dont know what real significance this has. The stats from the Negro Leagues are extremely incomplete so those guys wont figure prominently in the MLB leaderboards. More symbolic than anything but nice, tho.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
        That's nice and probably appropriate but I dont know what real significance this has. The stats from the Negro Leagues are extremely incomplete so those guys wont figure prominently in the MLB leaderboards. More symbolic than anything but nice, tho.
        That's true, although I've already been reading about some (Josh Gibson's career OPS, for example).

I suppose you'll probably see them more on ratio stat leaderboards than counting stats.

Comment

Bob Kohm mentioned something on Facebook about Hank Aaron's 22 negro league HR putting him back into 1st ahead of Bonds....

Seems a bit weird to me, I mean you're gonna need asterisks on every player.

But I know I'm a contrarian who loved roids era Bonds. I just think its a silly way to diminish Bonds more than MLB already did, if this is in fact how record books start to look.

Curious to hear others thoughts on the issue. I assume most celebrate the change.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

They need to change the league name.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              They need to change the league name.
              I think its a bit late for rebranding.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                Bob Kohm mentioned something on Facebook about Hank Aaron's 22 negro league HR putting him back into 1st ahead of Bonds....

But I know I'm a contrarian who loved roids era Bonds. I just think its a silly way to diminish Bonds more than MLB already did, if this is in fact how record books start to look.

Curious to hear others thoughts on the issue. I assume most celebrate the change.
                I didn't read it first hand, but from what I gather, the stats they are recognizing are only from before the color barrier was broken and Aaron's HRs came after that date so they wouldn't be counted.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

He was not correct. MLB is only adding Negro League stats to official records up to the 1948 season. Aaron's additional HRs came in 1952.

Comment

I assume most celebrate the change.
                    Yeah, I like it. Maybe it makes things messy, but that already happened with the roid era anyway, and it brings attention to a lot of guys who deserve it.

Comment

Working...
                    X