How many 2021 games in the schedule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many 2021 games in the schedule?

MLB is looking to delay the start of the 2021 season to a date when all players will have been vaccinated. Also trying to delay so that more fans are able to physically attend games.

I had been thinking we would get a 162 game season, but it seems the financial aspect dictates how this plays out.

Looks like we will again see MLB and MLBPA dispute season length well into the season and settle on whatever the owners decide. This article says owners want a delay to "at least May".

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...until-may.html
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Ugh. I had read a Peter Gammons column a couple of weeks ago that quoted an unnamed exec as saying he expected no more than 130 games, and now I understand why -- they will just wait for the vaccine. I get it, but that blows.

Comment

According to Evan Drellich, the MLBPA is uninterested in a shorter season if it means pro-rated pay. And of course, MLB is not interested in paying players their full pay if games are cancelled.

So here we go again!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        According to Evan Drellich, the MLBPA is uninterested in a shorter season if it means pro-rated pay.
        Well, this is short-sighted and stupid, especially if the target is 130 games. 80% of pay as long as all players are credited with a full season (like they did last year) is a pretty big win for a huge percentage of the players. I mean, if they're getting a full arb year and pension year. Plus, if I'm a pitcher, I might just want to go with a slightly shorter season after throwing so little last year.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

deja vu all over again

with a twist - now they can play all 162, perhaps, but not with full or near-full stadiums for a while

I get the angle of both sides, but geesh, work out a compromise
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              Well, this is short-sighted and stupid, especially if the target is 130 games. 80% of pay as long as all players are credited with a full season (like they did last year) is a pretty big win for a huge percentage of the players. I mean, if they're getting a full arb year and pension year. Plus, if I'm a pitcher, I might just want to go with a slightly shorter season after throwing so little last year.
              https://www.businessinsider.com/bill...ndemic-2020-12

I think the team owners will be okay, regardless. Play the full season and pay the players. Otherwise, sell the team to someone who will.
              2021 Auction Anatomy
              2021 Keeper Decisions
              2020 Auction Anatomy
              2020 Pre-Auction
              2015 Auction Anatomy
              2014 Auction Anatomy
              2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
              RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                I think the team owners will be okay, regardless. Play the full season and pay the players. Otherwise, sell the team to someone who will.
                Well, certainly, if it's safe to play the full season, they should do so. However, we'll probably differ on what's safe and how to play the full season.

While, yes, the owners are rich to the tune of an order of magnitude greater than Mike Trout will be, that doesn't mean anyone can force them to sell or pay full salaries for part of a year played. It's a question of what is the best deal the players can get. And getting pro-rata time served is incredibly valuable - especially if the MLBPA can negotiate expanded rosters similar to last year. That means many players will get lifetime medical benefits and vest in the pension. All players will improve their yearly payout from the pension. And there's the long-term contract to be settled. MLBPA for the first time ever, IMO, finally showed some ability last year to negotiate with foresight and with the greater player population in mind. They need to continue that trend and improve it this time around.

Comment

Well, certainly, if it's safe to play the full season, they should do so. However, we'll probably differ on what's safe and how to play the full season.
                  Agreed...it’s probably not safe to play the season, but I don’t think owners are particularly concerned with player/fan safety...except to the point where they might be have liability.

While, yes, the owners are rich to the tune of an order of magnitude greater than Mike Trout will be, that doesn't mean anyone can force them to sell or pay full salaries for part of a year played. It's a question of what is the best deal the players can get. And getting pro-rata time served is incredibly valuable - especially if the MLBPA can negotiate expanded rosters similar to last year. That means many players will get lifetime medical benefits and vest in the pension. All players will improve their yearly payout from the pension. And there's the long-term contract to be settled. MLBPA for the first time ever, IMO, finally showed some ability last year to negotiate with foresight and with the greater player population in mind. They need to continue that trend and improve it this time around.
                  Again, I fully agree that the MLBPA should continue to focus on larger, longer-term issues for the overall body of players. And, while no one can dictate how owners conduct business, collectively we should hold them accountable every time they attempt to “cry poor”. Never have they shared excess profits nor the benefits of valuation growth with players outside what has been included in the CBA.
                  2021 Auction Anatomy
                  2021 Keeper Decisions
                  2020 Auction Anatomy
                  2020 Pre-Auction
                  2015 Auction Anatomy
                  2014 Auction Anatomy
                  2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                  RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Some financial math to think about - player salaries were posted recently and came out to $1.75 billion, including bonuses and dead contracts. In 2019, according to Forbes, payroll accounted for about 55% of a teams budget. So total costs were $3.2 billion in rough terms. I'd even accept the argument that it's closer to $3.5 billion since some of the fixed cost load like stadium maintenance was still required for the whole year.

I'm not sure what total MLB income was with the shorter season and expanded playoffs, but I'm struggling to believe Rob Manfred's assertation that MLB lost $2.8 to 3 billion last year. That said, MLBs losses were still significant, so I fully expect most owners will do more belt-tightening. As revo noted, that's an opportunity for the bold (Cohen?) or the old (Reinsdorf?) to land a lot of quality players this year.

Comment

IMO, anything over 120 is gravy.

Comment

Working...
                      X