Rule 5 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule 5 Draft

I see the Red Sox trolled the Yankees by taking Garrett Whitlock. Given how turrble the Red Sox 3/4/5 SPs were/are, I'd not be surprised to see him stick. Yankees, if I'm reading right, lost the most players in round 1 with three players picked.

Any big surprises?
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    I see the Red Sox trolled the Yankees by taking Garrett Whitlock. Given how turrble the Red Sox 3/4/5 SPs were/are, I'd not be surprised to see him stick. Yankees, if I'm reading right, lost the most players in round 1 with three players picked.

Any big surprises?
    I like seeing Akil Baddoo get a shot in DET. OF with plate approach geared to walks, some power, some speed. Perfect place to see where he's at in his development.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      I like seeing Akil Baddoo get a shot in DET. OF with plate approach geared to walks, some power, some speed. Perfect place to see where he's at in his development.
      I had to read this three times ... what?, Akil Baddoo got shot in Detroit!?!?! and TW liked it!?!?!?

oh, never mind ... too much skimming these days ...
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
        Makes sense...sort of a younger, cheaper Niko Goodrum. And it'll be awfully hard for Baddoo to be as bad as Goodrum was last year.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

"to be as bad as Good"

I see what you did there
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Interesting trivia: the last Rule 5 player the Yankees actually kept was in 1973.

Comment

The Pirates selected RHP Jose Soriano from the Angels with the No. 1 pick in the Rule 5 Draft.

Soriano required Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery back in February, but he registered a promising 2.51 ERA with 92 strikeouts over 82 1/3 innings between the rookie-level Arizona League and Low-A Burlington in 2019. The 22-year-old right-hander was ranked as the No. 13 prospect in the Angels' farm system by MLB Pipeline. As a refresher, he'll have to stick on the Pirates' active roster throughout the 2021 season, or they'll have to send him back to Anaheim.

So, i'm guessing he's a low leverage middle inning reliever in 2021. But, he could be someone to keep an eye on for 2022. Plenty of opportunities for advancement with the Pirates.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I think those guys can be kept as long as on DL - just not after they are healthy unless on 25-man roster.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  I think those guys can be kept as long as on DL - just not after they are healthy unless on 25-man roster.
                  Rule 5 Draft draftees must stay on the MLB roster all season. If they go to the DL, they must be active for at least 90 days — so if the draftee misses a whole season, they must be on the active roster for 90 days the following season to satisfy the Rule 5 Draft requirements.

https://library.fangraphs.com/rule-5...20requirements.

Comment

Working...
                  X