2k21 Keston Hiura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k21 Keston Hiura

He took a step back in the shortened season. He still barreled the ball, but his strike out rate went up over 30%. He was bottom 4% for K rate. His BA tanked. His OPS plummeted from .938 to .707. He showed big holes in his swing. His hard hit rate went down. On defense, he continued to be bad. It was a bad year, is what I'm saying.

This is going to be a make or break year for Hiura, I think. He is now 24, it will be his third season in the majors. He needs to figure out off speed and breaking pitches or I don't know how we holds a full-time job. The dream is he straightens up at the plate and his power and hit tools carry him, and his defensive rises to just below average so he can manage to stick at 2b rather than get moved to DH, if it sticks in the NL, or 1b. I guess I am a dreamer, because I still think he can do it. What say the rest of you?

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    He took a step back in the shortened season. He still barreled the ball, but his strike out rate went up over 30%. He was bottom 4% for K rate. His BA tanked. His OPS plummeted from .938 to .707. He showed big holes in his swing. His hard hit rate went down. On defense, he continued to be bad. It was a bad year, is what I'm saying.

This is going to be a make or break year for Hiura, I think. He is now 24, it will be his third season in the majors. He needs to figure out off speed and breaking pitches or I don't know how we holds a full-time job. The dream is he straightens up at the plate and his power and hit tools carry him, and his defensive rises to just below average so he can manage to stick at 2b rather than get moved to DH, if it sticks in the NL, or 1b. I guess I am a dreamer, because I still think he can do it. What say the rest of you?
    That you're not the only one.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Two factors have me worried - first, his 2019 BABIP was insanely high, and second, his confidence sure seemed to have cratered. With a high barrel rate and his speed, I'd expect the BABIP to go up from 2020 to something above average, say .330ish. That probably projects out to a .270/.340/.470 type line with 25-15 potential. But if he's lost his confidence, I'd project more downside risk than upside to that line.

I can't see him sticking at 2B long term. Most advanced defensive metrics say he improved from '19 to '20, but he's still brutal. I can't think of a worse defensive 2b in all of baseball who's a regular there.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
        That you're not the only one.
        Do you hope some day we will join you?

All kidding aside if he is cheap enough he is worth a shot. I do not think this is the year he is cheap enough.

Comment

You guys scared me off. I traded him for McNeil, Corbin Carroll, and a 2nd round prospect draft pick. McNeil had a down year too, but I love his hit tool. I have the best set of keepers in the league so I figured the lower variance of McNeil and the minors upgrade was worth giving the upside of Hiura.

Comment

Working...
          X