Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tim Anderson or Whit Merrifield for next year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Anderson or Whit Merrifield for next year.

AL only 5x5 OBP instead ov ave. 12 teams. Keeper. Both are priced the same and going into their second year conract.

Which would you rather have for this coming year? Both are on the trade block and I want one of them.

My gut said Merrifield but they were pretty similar in 2019 and were valued equally in 2020.

At 31, Merrifield could start to decline and we may already be seeing it. I own him in a keep forever league and his 2B/OF eligibility is a plus.

If their cost is similar, Andersen is the better play given his history, age and lineup. If you can convince the Merrifield owner that 2020 was indeed the start of the decline and get him at a discount, he's too talented to drop off a cliff.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Anderson in a keeper. Similar value but Anderson still firmly in his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
        My gut said Merrifield but they were pretty similar in 2019 and were valued equally in 2020.

At 31, Merrifield could start to decline and we may already be seeing it. I own him in a keep forever league and his 2B/OF eligibility is a plus.

If their cost is similar, Andersen is the better play given his history, age and lineup. If you can convince the Merrifield owner that 2020 was indeed the start of the decline and get him at a discount, he's too talented to drop off a cliff.
        I agree with this.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

They're both in the same neighborhood, but Tim Anderson has now hit .331 across his last 2 seasons. Their power will be similar, and Whit will [probably] steal a few more bases, but I'll take the guy in his prime at the prime position.

Comment

Consensus here says it's close but I'd rather have Anderson easily and every time. In addition to the age and decline discussed already already about Merrifield, dont forget the totally stacked power lineup anderson has behind him, which should account for significantly more runs vs. Whit (as long as LaRussa doesnt drive it off the side of the road).

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
              Consensus here says it's close but I'd rather have Anderson easily and every time.
              I'm not sure I'd take that away as the consensus. Everyone has said Anderson so far. There's an argument to be made for Whit, but it's not something anyone has pushed.

Comment

The only reason I wouldn't take Anderson is if you already have a SS and MI in the fold, other than that, I'd take Anderson easily. And I've owned Merrifield two of his really good years.

Let's look at good versus bad outcomes - not outrageous versus terrible, but merely good versus bad - Anderson might have a lower BABIP, driving his BA and OBP down, but even with that, I still think he generates superior counting stats, with SBs being roughly even. OTOH, if Anderson has a slightly higher BABIP, he could generate nearly ridiculous numbers in that lineup.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Anderson is $31 with two years left. Merrifield is $32 with two years left.

He wants my first round reserve pick (#2 overall). He also wants Severino $11A or Devers $20 and done. I just offered him Severino and my #1 pick for both of them and his 3rd round res. draft pick. He will float it by his partner. We will see.

Comment

Working...
                  X