Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    that's zillion, with a Z
    No, that's on Monday. Just a billion today.

Comment

• Sketchy Republican Qanon Congresswoman whatsherface (not the one who tweeted about the whereabouts of Nancy Pelosi during the insurrection, the other one) introduced articles of impeachment against President Biden yesterday.
      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Biden fires Michael Pack, the Trumpie head of the US Agency for Global Media. This department ran the Voice of America, which was supposed to be an unbiased, firewalled station designed to broadcast news to Americans overseas, but instead became a Trump propaganda machine.

Comment

• Bernie being Bernie...rolls with him becoming a meme, sells t-shirts of it to give to charity. Good reminder we do have good guys in politics. He and Biden both are. Hard to imagine after what we have endured lately, but there are decent humans doing this job. And both Bernie and Biden, while they disagree on many things, share a lot of values, and I think Bernie will be a big part of the plans Biden has on some issues.

Comment

• Seeing Chuck Schumer declare "victory" today is pretty pathetic. McConnell conceded nothing today. He got what he wanted. I'm gonna grow weary real quick if this is an indication of things to come--the GOP winning ground and the Dems patting themselves on the backs.
            Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-25-2021, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              Seeing Chuck Schumer declare "victory" today is pretty pathetic. McConnell conceded nothing today. He got what he wanted. I'm gonna grow weary real quick if this is an indication of things to come--the GOP winning ground and the Dems patting themselves on the backs.
              I don't understand what you're saying. Sounds to me like McConnell dropped his opposition today without getting anything in return, which is how it should be. There's no reason for Schumer to blow up the filibuster now, and McConnell wasn't ultimately going to provoke him to do that over the organizing resolution, and everybody knew that.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                I don't understand what you're saying. Sounds to me like McConnell dropped his opposition today without getting anything in return, which is how it should be. There's no reason for Schumer to blow up the filibuster now, and McConnell wasn't ultimately going to provoke him to do that over the organizing resolution, and everybody knew that.
                Schumer used bombastic language to declare victory, as if he and the Democrats won something by McConnell dropping his opposition. But I don't see any call for that right now. The filibuster will stay in place--we know that will happen now even if Manchin retired and was replaced tomorrow. That is what McConnell wanted. He wanted a full-throated declaration from a second Democrat that the filibuster would not go away, and he got it. I don't get how McConnell getting the assurance he wanted and dropping his opposition is some big victory worth crowing about, but that is what Schumer did, and I'm seeing some pundits seem quite pleased by it. I don't get it. I'd prefer a more measured response to what seems to be a win of nothing--save the victory laps for when you achieve a real legislative victory. Trying to show strength by claiming McConnell threw in the towel, and suggesting he lost some kind of fight that mattered just irked me I guess. Maybe more than it should of, but I've seen this sort of crowing from Schumer before, and I'm hoping for more substantive moves before such self-congratulations are in order. I won't mind such language, once something is actually accomplished, but found declaring victory over this irksome, is all. I guess I am just anxious for something substantive to get passed.

Comment

Schumer used bombastic language to declare victory, as if he and the Democrats won something by McConnell dropping his opposition. But I don't see any call for that right now. The filibuster will stay in place--we know that will happen now even if Manchin retired and was replaced to tomorrow. That is what McConnell wanted. He wanted a full-throated declaration from a second Democrat that the filibuster would not go away, and he got it. I don't get at all how McConnell getting the assurance he wanted and dropping his opposition is some big victory worth crowing about, but that is what Schumer did, and I'm seeing some pundits seem quite pleased by it. I don't get it. I'd prefer a more measured response to what seems to be a win of nothing--save the victory laps for when you achieve a real legislative victory.
                  Are you referring to Sinema? I let her aide have an earful today because her publicly declaring opposition to ending the filibuster is utterly inexcusable. She is going to be feeling the heat from those of us who got her ass elected.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    Are you referring to Sinema? I let her aide have an earful today because her publicly declaring opposition to ending the filibuster is utterly inexcusable. She is going to be feeling the heat from those of us who got her ass elected.
                    Yes, Sinema's public declaration is what McConnell wanted and got, which is why I don't get Schumer declaring McConnell threw in the towel and lost something here.

And good to know you made your voice heard! I don't think it will matter, sadly. She painted herself and the Dems into a corner, I think.

Comment

• I don't think it was a victory for either side.
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Yes, Sinema's public declaration is what McConnell wanted and got, which is why I don't get Schumer declaring McConnell threw in the towel and lost something here.

And good to know you made your voice heard! I don't think it will matter, sadly. She painted herself and the Dems into a corner, I think.
                        But he didn't really gain anything either. When the Dem leadership pressures Sinema, I don't think she'll necessarily stand firm. She might, but it's not like she's beholden to McConnell. AZ voters certainly aren't going to hold her to her word on that.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Time for Biden and the Democrats to nut up, tell the Republicans to suck it, and pass the COVID bill with or without the seditionist party.
                          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                            Time for Biden and the Democrats to nut up, tell the Republicans to suck it, and pass the COVID bill with or without the seditionist party.
                            I agree
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Time for Biden and the Democrats to nut up, tell the Republicans to suck it, and pass the COVID bill with or without the seditionist party.
                              Road Trip?
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

It amazes me that McConnell ran rampant for years and when they finally get the majority back, they want to play all nice. F that shit!

Comment

Working...
                                X