President Joseph Biden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. I was trying to say that $28K for a family of 4 is so far below the income needed for a family of 4 to stay out of vulnerable housing, food, school, etc, it's an absolute joke that they're using $28K for a family of 4 to claim they're cutting poverty in half. So I was saying why not just lower the bar so far that you can claim you've eliminated poverty entirely?
    I guess you could, but "poverty level" is a fixed calculation.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Their is a chart in this article that illustrates how the changes target those with lowest incomes. Or perhaps how the previous versions did not.

President Biden on Thursday signed the $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan Act, which promises to provide a new $3,000 child tax credit to families. 
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      ---------------------------------------------
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
        One of the Biden's German Shepards bit a secret service agent at the White House. So, both dogs are getting sent back home to Delaware.
        First week back at the White House after several weeks of obedience training and Biden's dog Major bit a National Park Service employee on Monday. Bad dog!
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
          First week back at the White House after several weeks of obedience training and Biden's dog Major bit a National Park Service employee on Monday. Bad dog!
          He should not have been allowed back to the White House, IMO. (The dog, I mean)
          “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
            He should not have been allowed back to the White House, IMO. (The dog, I mean)
            Yeah, hopefully this is a two bites and your out policy. Clearly the training doesn't work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              Yeah, hopefully this is a two bites and your out policy. Clearly the training doesn't work.
              Rescues can be difficult with anyone else but their owners.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• In two polls released this week, Biden has a 94% and 95% approval rating among Dems, outpacing even the highest % of Former Guy’s popularity among the GOP.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  In two polls released this week, Biden has a 94% and 95% approval rating among Dems, outpacing even the highest % of Former Guy’s popularity among the GOP.
                  The bar was so insanely low, I think there is overwhelming relief at having a serious, real president, who actually cares about the country and its people more than ratings and polls.

That said, there are some early mistakes that need to be addressed. The issues at the border are heartbreaking, for instance. In hindsight, it seems like it makes a whole lot of sense that the change from Trump to Biden was going to be seen as a massive change in policy and likely increase the already high desire for folks to want to come here, given that the GOP side sold its voters on Biden being for completely open borders, and for obvious political reasons, the Dem side not fighting too hard against that--they didn't want to fall into the same hole of anti-immigrant rhetoric Trump was in. There is obviously a lot of pent up desire by a lot of folks to get here and get a piece of the American Dream (and maybe earlier access to vaccines that won't be getting to poorer folks in poorer countries for another year or more), and the disconnect between the reality of what is being allowed vs what people thought would be is causing a lot of hardships and heartbreak.

Obviously, folks will come here if they can, no matter who is in charge, as we saw with the seasonal surges that also happened under Trump as well. Despite all the flaws and issues we face, the US still represents tremendous opportunity for a better life for millions. I really do not know how messaging or policy and better prep could have made things better with this surge, but I wish more forethought would have been in play here, and maybe more efforts at the sources to combat misinformation and perhaps provide local aid that gave locals in those countries some incentive to stay there. Tough to see so many people wanting to be here who cannot, and for some of them, they risked a lot to come, because they had the false idea that the US now had an open border policy.
                  Last edited by Sour Masher; 04-14-2021, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• Biden won because he is a giant.

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Biden releases patents on all vaccines allowing the world to benefit.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                        Biden releases patents on all vaccines allowing the world to benefit.
                        While the Biden administration favors the patent waivers, per the NY Times, it's not a done deal yet:

Ms. Tai added that the United States would participate in negotiations at the W.TO. over the matter, adding, “Those negotiations will take time given the consensus-based nature of the institution and the complexity of the issues involved.”
                        Linky here: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/05/u...ent-biden.html

Edit to add: I think it'll get done, but the tech transfer mentioned in the article will be interesting. Somehow, the Biden administration must come up with a waiver that protects and/or indemnifies the companies from shareholder suits. Interestingly enough, the one thing a corporation can't do is place greater good over shareholder interest (Dodge v Ford).

Further edit to add: Moderna and Pfizer had already waived patent protection rights and have licensed their technology to numerous places world wide. I don't think J&J has waived patent enforcement (might be wrong, just couldn't find anything), but also has licensed their technology to three other countries. Issue with getting more done - especially in India - appears tied to supply chain issues and not patent issues.
                        Last edited by chancellor; 05-06-2021, 09:36 AM.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• I find these recent Favorable/Unfavorable polls to be interesting (RCP Average, Jan-May):

Biden: +11.8%
                          Pelosi: -12.7%
                          McCarthy: -6.2%
                          Schumer: -10.8%
                          McConnell: -28.0%
                          Trump: -12.5%

Also, didn't realize the Child Tax Credit will actually be direct deposited into your accounts on the 15th of every month, July through December. If you have children age 6 or younger, you'll get $300 per month per child, and ages 7-17, $250 per month per child. The Jan-June periods will be a credit against your taxes next year. 90% of American families should be eligible, based on AGI.

Comment

• Dude, can you STOP trying to work across the Aisle? Obama couldn't do it so there's NO way you can do it. Abolish the filibuster and ram through as much progressive legislature as you can starting with election reform.

Get it done or GTF out.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                              Dude, can you STOP trying to work across the Aisle? Obama couldn't do it so there's NO way you can do it. Abolish the filibuster and ram through as much progressive legislature as you can starting with election reform.

Get it done or GTF out.
                              How's Biden going to abolish the filibuster?
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                                How's Biden going to abolish the filibuster?
                                Have the Senate Dems set a new Precedent and then change the rule--reform by ruling. Known as the Nuclear Option. Once it's started they can modify or eliminate it all together.

Otherwise they'll have to find a way to go through Bernie and squeeze everything through the reconciliation process targeting the Byrd rule.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X