President Joseph Biden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Biden said that he would only make executive orders "if there's vast agreement to get it done," or something weasely like that. Meaning, he's willing to do things that aren't controversial, won't move the needle, but he's not going to do anything drastic. So yes, he will use his executive power for window dressing, but not to do anything substantive.

"BTW you aren't living in the United States, you have no idea what people are going through they don't care what's in the stimulus as long as they can pay rent and eat."

Do you think everything is going just peachy right now, or what? You think people are eating? The amount of financial despair being experienced, and soon to be drastically exacerbated, is going to be incredible. Like I said in the post that set this off, this recession from the pandemic is going to cut 400% deeper than the '08 recession. 4 times the bankruptcies and mortgage foreclosures projected.

I'm saying even the $1200 direct check Bernie is fighting for right now isn't nearly enough to avoid widespread devastation. Anybody who's happy with $184 Bn when Pelosi previously fought for $3.4 TN and said $1.8 TN was far too low is intellectually stunted. Especially giving corporations full liability protection from abuses doled out during the pandemic. Anyone not angered by that is aligning with Brett Kavanaugh's views on freedom, they're for corporations not people. Left and right finally agree. Isn't bipartisanship wonderful?
    I'm glad you have an insight into what Biden "means" when he says things. Glad we can count on you to keep us informed.

BUT you can't seem to glean what I mean when I say things. You bitched about Dems caving n and screwing the American people--I said--we don't care WHAT is in the bill as long as we can eat and pay rent (let me translate this for you) IF the bill contains enhanced unemployment and UI is extended for a few months, who gives a shit about the rest--That's 1200 a MONTH which will help with rent and food. IF is also contains a direct payment--great, but it's the lack of monthly income that is hitting us hardest. That's what I meant so like your outrage, your clairvoyance is selective.

Please don't try and tell me what is what when it comes to struggles here in the US. I going through it right now. Correct me if I'm wrong but in Canada you got 2000 per person ion direct stimulus and 500 a week in enhanced UI and STILLL get that 500 a week per person, right? That's 4K a month per couple with a 4K cherry on top back in March. or 44K over the past 10 months if you were both out of work the entire time. That's 4400 a month to live on

We as a couple, Not qualifying for ui but getting UAP instead (wife is a student get's nothing from UI) got 2400K 167 a week over 10 months or about 6700 with 4 months of an extra 600--10,400 and 5 300 payments in Sept 1500 which is approx 21K to live on over 10 months or 2100 a month. Yeah we could barely pay rent, bills and eat. BUT we made it and WE are doing MUCH better than others, BUT the 167 ends next week so ANYTHING to keep it going is needed even if there's pork in the package.

You blame DEMS for this--it was McConnell and ONLY him who has held up an additional stimulus this long. I'm saying you're blind hatred for anything NOT Sanders is tainting your POV and colors your posts. Feed me today and we'll worry about what's next in April.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      If it's one thing the Dems and GOP have agreed on over time, it's that any national third party will be crushed. Those in politics who have the charisma to start a national third party - left, center, or right - understand the futility of doing so, and instead work at bending the views of the party they align with closest to their views. Bernie Sanders is a prime example - he didn't even run as a Democrat as a Senator out of Vermont, but did run as a Democrat both times for president. And he did so the second time despite the DNC crapping all over him the first time around. If there's anyone who could have fathered in a national third party on the left, it's Bernie.

Those who are not in politics, but have essentially unlimited cash, typically don't have the knowledge and ability to park their ego such to build a national party from the ground up. And they face the wrath of the party they most closely align with, likely for life. Past individuals in our lifetime that come to mind are Ross Perot, Michael Bloomberg, and Howard Schultz. There's certainly others I'm forgetting. I mean, to your point, if Bloomberg and Schultz could work together, they have the money and smarts to put together a centrist type party that would certainly be ready by 2024 - in fact, if they were willing to spend and push, I'd venture they could have a slate of Congressional candidates ready for the 2022 elections. But my view of the odds of that happening are pretty much zero.
      This is one of the many places where real change is needed, probably won't ever happen. Yeah I was going with Sec Co but strip Club was easier...........
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        So is the stimulus helping people pay rent and eat ? That would be great news.

From what I read 300 enhance UI and at least a 600 direct payment--UI extended through end of April. That would make our monthly about 2300 which pays our rent and bills with money left over for food and gas.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          From what I read 300 enhance UI and at least a 600 direct payment--UI extended through end of April. That would make our monthly about 2300 which pays our rent and bills with money left over for food and gas.
          that sounds pretty good, I haven't looked at the info in the last few days.
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          ---------------------------------------------
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            that sounds pretty good, I haven't looked at the info in the last few days.
            Yeah I've been following pretty closely as it's getting to the 12th hour here. BUT it does seem hopeful, fingers crossed.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

This is one of the many places where real change is needed, probably won't ever happen.
              I mean, you never really know in politics, but I just don't see it. Maybe AOC will pull it off on the left; maybe a never-Trumper who has connections and money or access to money could in the center. But the cost is damnably high in US politics - not only all the work and development, but whoever does it will be cast into the wilderness by the party they align with now.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

My math was off 467 X 4 is 1850ish per month but we can add the 1200 in direct money to make up. Still it's better than what we've have since July.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  I mean, you never really know in politics, but I just don't see it. Maybe AOC will pull it off on the left; maybe a never-Trumper who has connections and money or access to money could in the center. But the cost is damnably high in US politics - not only all the work and development, but whoever does it will be cast into the wilderness by the party they align with now.
                  Rumors are flying that the Ted Cruz party has already been formed and won the 2024 presidency.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                    Rumors are flying that the Ted Cruz party has already been formed and won the 2024 presidency.
                    they'll have competition as Trum[p supporters announced today they're leaving the GOP and have formed. The Patriot Party.

OneJay will be SO conflicted.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• The direct cash payment was added at the expense of shortening the unemployment benefits from 18 weeks to 12 so they could keep the total payout amount the same.

Here's the thing about McConnell. He wants the stimulus passed because he thinks it will avoid being swept in both Georgia races, but only until the races are held. So NOW is the time to negotiate all the toxic shit out of the deal, you only have until Jan 2nd or so to get a deal done. So use this time to fight to remove the disgusting corporate handouts littering the covid relief package. Fight to make the federal assistance and UI top-ups and all those supports non-taxable, as its creating a huge cliff a few months from now regarding taxes for poor people. They're going to go over income thresholds and not qualify for food stamps and other assistance, they're going to get nothing or owe money at tax time when normally they depend on receiving money back at tax time to survive. Remove the tax loophole for large corporations that are able to use their PPP loans as tax write-offs to claw back over $100 Bn in extra tax revenue, these fuckers don't need it. Businesses like Joel Osteen's ministry took $4.4 million in PPP loans, then gets to double up on benefits because of it while regular people get crumbs. There's more pork to cut, these are just some immediate highlights.

I just find it laughable that I advocate for the same things you do, but you respond with such vitriol. You got your direct cash payment ONLY because of the loud advocacy of senators Sanders and Republican Josh Hawley. Maybe speaking up about how shitty these bills are is actually useful to get what you want out of a negotiation, eh?

By the way, I sincerely appreciate the content posted by chancellor in this forum and others. I take major issue with his views on race, but I value his opinions on other issues, especially politics. The reason Chancellor has been agreeing with me often lately, but not always, is that I've often been correct. The fact that you hate on me for being civil is so fucking preposterous. I'm consistently chastised for being too mean around here, for years and years, and now that I'm finding common ground for discussion I'm accused of what? Being nice to someone I used to be mean to? What a waste of everybody's time.

I miss nots, by the way. He was always willing to engage with a genuine personal take and added valuable perspective. Hope his restaurants got the financial aid needed to survive, even if he would have disagreed with said government interference as a Libertarian... wish we could pick his brain.
                      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

The direct cash payment was added at the expense of shortening the unemployment benefits from 18 weeks to 12 so they could keep the total payout amount the same.
                        What does this have to do with anything? You implied you know what people in the US are going through as well as they (I) do--you don not. The Avg. Canadian in MY position got nearly double what I was asked to live on. False equivalency on your part. You may have SOME Idea, but not experiencing what I have makes me more qualified to comment on the ongoing stimulus talks--So if I say we'l;ll take the p[ork (toxic) to get money for food and rent just say--you know better than me--I wish it were different but it's better that you eat than go hungry hoping for the most "fair and equitable" package.

Here's the thing about McConnell. He wants the stimulus passed because he thinks it will avoid being swept in both Georgia races, but only until the races are held. So NOW is the time to negotiate all the toxic shit out of the deal, you only have until Jan 2nd or so to get a deal done. So use this time to fight to remove the disgusting corporate handouts littering the covid relief package. Fight to make the federal assistance and UI top-ups and all those supports non-taxable, as its creating a huge cliff a few months from now regarding taxes for poor people. They're going to go over income thresholds and not qualify for food stamps and other assistance, they're going to get nothing or owe money at tax time when normally they depend on receiving money back at tax time to survive. Remove the tax loophole for large corporations that are able to use their PPP loans as tax write-offs to claw back over $100 Bn in extra tax revenue, these fuckers don't need it. Businesses like Joel Osteen's ministry took $4.4 million in PPP loans, then gets to double up on benefits because of it while regular people get crumbs. There's more pork to cut, these are just some immediate highlights.
                        McConnel is a POS. This won't do dick to sway the GA elections, If anything he's hoping to get something HE wants through because he knows there's a chance he might lose both seats and control; of the Senate. If that happens, we get a new stimulus in April with ALL the bells and whistles. If not--Those who need it get to survive 4 more months. I'll trade that for Pork.

I just find it laughable that I advocate for the same things you do, but you respond with such vitriol. You got your direct cash payment ONLY because of the loud advocacy of senators Sanders and Republican Josh Hawley. Maybe speaking up about how shitty these bills are is actually useful to get what you want out of a negotiation, eh?
                        No one is a bigger Sanders supporter in here than I am. not even you. BUT even Sanders threw his support behind Biden, if you claim he's your hero--get behind his support for Biden, who's no ones first choice but an ultimately better choice than Trump. BTW, I DO agree with most of what you say minus the Hyperbole and generalizations--I also have issue with HOW you present your arguments--you've become the Liberal OneJay in your unreasonable broadbrushing of Dems, Biden and all in a Neg light.

By the way, I sincerely appreciate the content posted by chancellor in this forum and others. I take major issue with his views on race, but I value his opinions on other issues, especially politics. The reason Chancellor has been agreeing with me often lately, but not always, is that I've often been correct. The fact that you hate on me for being civil is so fucking preposterous. I'm consistently chastised for being too mean around here, for years and years, and now that I'm finding common ground for discussion I'm accused of what? Being nice to someone I used to be mean to? What a waste of everybody's time.
                        No, I don't agree--You've glommed onto his approval because you lost the rest of the forum. You were "disgusted" with him and what you called his racist POV or comments. Using his support for your posts is like a Trump supporter ignoring Trumps crap because he said something nice about them (you) I disagreed with Chance quite a bit in the past, but we've found a way to have reasonable discussions and will do so until we drive his SUV to Vormir.

I miss nots, by the way. He was always willing to engage with a genuine personal take and added valuable perspective. Hope his restaurants got the financial aid needed to survive, even if he would have disagreed with said government interference as a Libertarian... wish we could pick his brain

Nots was (is) indeed a voice that is missed, but he chose the wrong hill to die on and some people can't (won't) comeback from a choice like that.

In the end I do believe you can contribute, but the vitriol you blame on me is a mere reflection of what you have been doling out over the past year or so. Life is NOT absolute--stop acting (posting) like it is. Or don't your choice, but don't complain when you get bitchslapped for doing so--Or you could just not reply when instead of responding I just go: :tumble"

Again, your choice.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                          He'd be the first president and Supreme Court justice at the same time!!

Comment

they'll have competition as Trum[p supporters announced today they're leaving the GOP and have formed. The Patriot Party.
                            Well, since you know I like political kabuki theater, I'll be watching this one closely. As it is now, it'll go nowhere. If it'll make a go, it needs a money person and a political organizer. The money person they need to convince is a slam dunk to me - probably an individual you detest more than even Trump, but I have no idea who the money person would link in as the political organizer.

Comment

What does this have to do with anything? You implied you know what people in the US are going through as well as they (I) do--you don not. The Avg. Canadian in MY position got nearly double what I was asked to live on. False equivalency on your part. You may have SOME Idea, but not experiencing what I have makes me more qualified to comment on the ongoing stimulus talks--So if I say we'l;ll take the p[ork (toxic) to get money for food and rent just say--you know better than me--I wish it were different but it's better that you eat than go hungry hoping for the most "fair and equitable" package.

McConnel is a POS. This won't do dick to sway the GA elections, If anything he's hoping to get something HE wants through because he knows there's a chance he might lose both seats and control; of the Senate. If that happens, we get a new stimulus in April with ALL the bells and whistles. If not--Those who need it get to survive 4 more months. I'll trade that for Pork.

No one is a bigger Sanders supporter in here than I am. not even you. BUT even Sanders threw his support behind Biden, if you claim he's your hero--get behind his support for Biden, who's no ones first choice but an ultimately better choice than Trump. BTW, I DO agree with most of what you say minus the Hyperbole and generalizations--I also have issue with HOW you present your arguments--you've become the Liberal OneJay in your unreasonable broadbrushing of Dems, Biden and all in a Neg light.

No, I don't agree--You've glommed onto his approval because you lost the rest of the forum. You were "disgusted" with him and what you called his racist POV or comments. Using his support for your posts is like a Trump supporter ignoring Trumps crap because he said something nice about them (you) I disagreed with Chance quite a bit in the past, but we've found a way to have reasonable discussions and will do so until we drive his SUV to Vormir.

Nots was (is) indeed a voice that is missed, but he chose the wrong hill to die on and some people can't (won't) comeback from a choice like that.

In the end I do believe you can contribute, but the vitriol you blame on me is a mere reflection of what you have been doling out over the past year or so. Life is NOT absolute--stop acting (posting) like it is. Or don't your choice, but don't complain when you get bitchslapped for doing so--Or you could just not reply when instead of responding I just go: :tumble"

Again, your choice.
                              Typical American arrogance. You guys seem to be doing a fantastic job with the Covid, I'll just shut the fuck up and let you keep handling it like Champs....

My implication about the government assistance was that I've experienced what a system providing proper support is like, and you're experiencing a government abandoning its people. I can comment on what a country's response to the pandemic SHOULD look like, while you're stuck in an anti-science shithole country doing a 9/11 death toll daily... no offense, but I think you could use some outsider advice...

You say this shit about "Bernie Sanders is your hero"... fuck off. Bernie FAILED you, and me, and everyone. He is a profound fucking miserable failure in his unwillingness and inability to expose Biden and the Democrats for what they are. But he's still a valuable advocate for progressive policies and attempting to hold Biden to his campaign promises. I'm simply advocating for the same things Bernie is. Bernie isn't out there saying "stop criticizing this bill", you are! If you claim to be the biggest Sanders supporter here, why does it make you so angry that I echo his sentiments?

In the end I do believe you can contribute, but the vitriol you blame on me is a mere reflection of what you have been doling out over the past year or so.
                              What does this even mean? You blame my past posting for your current neverending rage posting and I should just expect hostility in response to anything I post? Thats ridiculous, you're just being an asshole and literally seeking to shut down discussion.

There's no excuse for unprovoked personal attacks. Grow up.

No, I don't agree--You've glommed onto his approval because you lost the rest of the forum. You were "disgusted" with him and what you called his racist POV or comments. Using his support for your posts is like a Trump supporter ignoring Trumps crap because he said something nice about them
                              You complaining about my civility towards Chancellor is the dumbest crybaby shit I can imagine. I'm also disappointed that chancellor is the only one who's been willing to engage honestly about politics the last few weeks (I guess SM has been busy). I'm a nice guy to people who are nice to me, I respond thoughtfully to those who do so to me. Its not about agreement, as I said, he hasn't always agreed with my take. Sorry the simplicity continues to befuddle you.

For the record, I dont give a shit who agrees with me or not among this forum. I just expect mutual respect and civility if thats whats on offer. I'm not looking to fight so if you show up slinging mud with nothing to say, as you consistently do, then you're just revealing yourself.

Clearly, as you've just justified, you don't feel I'm worthy of respect. You'll get what you give. The choice is yours.

"Don't complain when you get bitchslapped"...

I'm not "bitch-slapping", I'm not attacking. Is that what talking politics is about to you, "bitch-slapping"? That's so juvenile.
                              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I'm also disappointed that chancellor is the only one who's been willing to engage honestly about politics the last few weeks (I guess SM has been busy).
                                I have been, but also have tried to take a semi-break from the political forums and post more in the forum that brought me here--baseball. The anxiety of the election had me posting a lot. Now that the very worst outcome is averted, I don't feel the urgency to post right now. I will chime in just to say I for one am happy to see you and Chance playing nice. While I disagree with Chance on most things, I have always appreciated his knowledge, his use of credible sources, and his polite tone on these forums. I do not believe his heart was where you thought it was with the cultural comment, but I'm glad you are past that and Chance remains magnanimous about it. I think a TW who engages like you have been lately with Chance is a good thing for the forums. Both you and Chance often bring good info and perspectives that I appreciate.

On this issue of atacking Biden right now, I can empathize with GITH's position that at this moment, while Trump is still trying to overturn the legitimate results of the election, and there are so many pressing short term issues to be dealt with, now may not be the best time for in-fighting on the left. However, I also understand the sentiment that now is the time, when cabinet appointments are being made and positions are being formulated, to put pressure on the incoming administration. If it doesn't happen now, it may never happen. And if it wasn't for the Georgia run off, I'd be all on board for any and all criticism. I do worry that some of the sound bites being created by AOC and other progressives as they advocate and fight for their positions are being used in the Georgia run-off to further the absurd narrative they are trying to create that Biden is a progressive puppet and that a vote for the dems to control the senate is an instant move for this country to be full-blown socialist. Of course, they are doing that either way, but it is interesting how quickly recent comments get picked up to push that false narrative further.

My canary in the coal mind, a Cuban league mate and friend who is a Republican and thought Bernie Sanders was the devil incarnate and Castro 2.0, must have his feed giving him these lines, because he is aware of them and uses it as evidence for why the Senate must stay red. Again, I understand that narrative would be pushed regardless, and I'm not saying progressives don't need to pressure Biden now, but I think would be ideal if more would happen behind closed doors and that public commentary was more measured. Strategically, I think it would be better to play up Biden as a centrist and moderate that will govern as such for the Georgia run offs. But TW, I know you and I disagree about just how progressive the US is. You believe most folks here want what AOC and Bernie wants. I do not, particularly in Georgia.

Another point, I do think Biden has listened to the progressives on some things, and some of his appointments deserve praise, and while he deserves continued critique and pressure on some things, positive reinforcement by giving credit for the good appointments and positions would be good to hear from progressive advocates as well. It would show that the criticism in based on the issues, which is rhetorically more effective than just continuing to say Biden is a total POS with no redeeming qualities, like people like Dore say. It isn't productive.

Comment

Working...
                                X