Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That saying "Everything happens for a reason"....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
    "For here we do not have an enduring city, but we are looking for the city that is to come." - Hebrews 13:14

Those of us who walk in faith do so confidently that the burdens of life - or, all the bad things you're referencing - are insignificant compared to the resurrection to come. Moreover, to blame God for things attributable to chance, free will, or the corruption of our earthly vessels doesn't seem sensible to me.

And I'm only commenting on the Christian point of view, and a non-Calvinist one at that.
    Then why give glory to God for those same things that result in good things for you?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      Then why give glory to God for those same things that result in good things for you?
      Because I'm thankful simply for the opportunity to enjoy them.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Do they blame God for a child born with a disease that killed the child after only one week?
        I imagine many do.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

If a baby is born and the family gives thanks to God for the precious gift of a child. 2 days later they find out the child has some rare form of cancer and dies in the next week. Do they blame God for a child born with a disease that killed the child after only one week?
          Heye is correct here, it would be extremely difficult not to. OTOH, as people of faith, we believe the child is already with God, endowed with a resurrection body and living in a perfect place.

That's not to imply such faith is easy. I'd venture to say that every parents greatest or nearly greatest fear is to bury their own children. My parents went through a scenario very much like you described and it was extremely hard on them.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
          X