Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That saying "Everything happens for a reason"....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do people give credit to God for the good things that they have in life, but don't blame God when others get terrible things happening to them?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      Why do people give credit to God for the good things that they have in life, but don't blame God when others get terrible things happening to them?
      Because we're human and flawed. In Christian theology, we are supposed to give glory to God under all circumstances. "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength." - Phil 4:11-13
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Because we're human and flawed. In Christian theology, we are supposed to give glory to God under all circumstances. "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength." - Phil 4:11-13
        So when good things happen to you, you give glory to God. But when bad things happen to you, God has no skin in the game? God is responsible for giving you good things, but he looks the other way when bad things happen???
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

So when good things happen to you, you give glory to God. But when bad things happen to you, God has no skin in the game? God is responsible for giving you good things, but he looks the other way when bad things happen???
          That's not at all what he said. Read it again. "In Christian theology, we are supposed to give glory to God under all circumstances."

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
            I don't know.
            As far as you know.
            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”- Jesus

Comment

you could also simply say it's cause and effect. or the arrow of time has one direction. even if there is an infinite amount of possibilities or causes there is only one effect or reason. if you reversed the arrow of time and an egg that fell and broke suddenly reassembled and flew back on the table, it would still seem normal to us- you would still have a before and an after. if you went back in time and changed the reason something happened, it would be a paradox. if the reason you go back in time changed, then you wouldn't have gone back. saying everything happens for a reason is stating the obvious. space started in an ordered state and becomes disordered. heat flows from hot to cold. cause and effect.

it's possible quantum particles can travel back in time and cause their own effect. the measurement problem prevents us from knowing. God is cock-blocking us. or imagine a round pool table. if you hit all the balls like a break and stop one from hitting a ball (go back in time prevent an event) but another ball can still hit the same ball exactly the same way the ball you stopped would've hit it.

so the next time someone says, everything happens for a reason you say thanks captain obvious. and then explain how the logic of time travel works. or you could be really cool and quote the matrix
                Merovingian : Yes, of course. Who has time? But then if we never *take* time, how can we have time?

Comment

for example the two cats here, one lives in the abandoned house next door. the owners boarded the broken basement window. the cats broke in, and they boarded it the same way again. there are plenty of places the cat can go in this yard. I know where I want it to go but it needs choices closeby. it needs to feel it chose it's own spot even if I was trying to get it closer to the trailer I put a blanket in. thus, I opened the cellar door just a bit next door and put a piece of wood over the cement near the cracked door cause they like it near the opening so they can hear predators approach. it needed a second choice while I put an even third choice nearby for it to discover later while having a 4th choice I can't show them yet. cause and effect. everything can only happen for a reason as long there is freewill and reality consists of random choices.

Comment

while I did that today, I was burning trash in a barrel in the yard. I put a can of whip cream in there and it exploded with a loud ass bang. the old guy here was stripping wire for the copper. then some guy came by and put the rubber from the wires in the barrel. the entire neighborhood still smells like rubber 5 hours later. like, really bad. there's like a cloud a block wide. if you walked out of your house now at night you'd think the wires on the telephone poles were overheating. after I realized it for an hour I was worried the cops might show up.

I think it's better to burn plastic than dump it in the ocean. recycling is a fucking scam. it's good that everything happens for a reason, if it didn't we would never be able to realize the consequences of our actions.

Comment

that being said, it's not a reason to be afraid of accidentally stepping on butterflies.

Comment

Thanks to this thread, I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQPz4366ESA

Right now I'm the 8th viewer of this gem.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          Thanks to this thread, I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQPz4366ESA

Right now I'm the 8th viewer of this gem.
                          I made it thru 20 seconds of weird sounds. Not sure if that counts
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          ---------------------------------------------
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                            I made it thru 20 seconds of weird sounds. Not sure if that counts
                            easy for you to say since your not the one short of breath from breathing in smoke clouds of burning rubber permeating the neighborhood atmosphere for a few square miles...

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              That's not at all what he said. Read it again. "In Christian theology, we are supposed to give glory to God under all circumstances."
                              But he isn't answering my query. Or the answer is incomplete. I understand the theology of giving glory to God under all circumstances, but why doesn't on eblame God for the bad things? because some book tells them that they can't?

Comment

But he isn't answering my query. Or the answer is incomplete. I understand the theology of giving glory to God under all circumstances, but why doesn't on eblame God for the bad things? because some book tells them that they can't?
                                That's a very odd question. Your asking if Christianity is based on the bible? Yes... it is. Entirely. I didn't know that was unclear.

Comment

Working...
                                X