2K21 Offseason Transactions Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Smyly and Morton for $26 Mil. I love the 1 year deals. Both have a lot more upside than typical $10 Mil + SP who are known mediocre innings eaters (guys like Tanner Roark). Anthopoulos is such a smart GM.

I wonder if this is a precursor to trading prospects to try and replace Ozuna. I would think these signings make it quite difficult to sign Ozuna, but I'm unaware of the specifics of ATL's payroll. I guess Hamels' $18M deal is done, so that helps balance the ledger.
    you even mention how bad the Hamels deal is in this post without acknowledging that Morton is Hamels 2.0 (but actually a year older). These have been two really awful signings for the Braves imo, and they make me happy as a Marlins fan to see them throw away dollars on what will likely amount to half a season of one pitcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
      you even mention how bad the Hamels deal is in this post without acknowledging that Morton is Hamels 2.0 (but actually a year older). These have been two really awful signings for the Braves imo, and they make me happy as a Marlins fan to see them throw away dollars on what will likely amount to half a season of one pitcher.
      Urf...what? I can see an argument on the Smyly deal - I'm not so hot on that one, but it's one year, meaning pretty minimal risk. But Morton is Hamels 2.0? Gotta disagree pretty strongly there. Morton's velocity was down early in the season, and increased back to his normal 94ish by late season and playoffs. He still has an elite curve. His FIP was in line with 2017-2018. His BABIP and strand rate were notably worse - I'll grant some of the jump in BABIP was due to his early season struggles, but not all. He's still, both by metrics and the eye test, a very, very good starting pitcher.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Weird. Smyly and Morton both pitched really well to finish their seasons, but both had some question marks that limited them to 1 year deals. Smyly is a "prove it" guy, but Morton has been great for several years, only went for 1 year because of age. Only 2 bad starts to start 2020, then he was good after that.

Morton was mediocre for several years before "figuring it out" in his age 33 season and becoming one of the best SP's in MLB over the 3 years preceding 2020.

Hamels had the opposite trajectory. He looked like a potential HOF caliber player until his age 33 season, then the physical deterioration started, and he was around league average for the 3 years preceding 2020, out hurt most of the season.

Extremely different circumstances for each of them. Also, knowing TB was in on Morton as the other bidder, and knowing their highly restrictive budget, it gives me some faith that he's got more gas in the tank.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I will admit that I have severe age bias against pitchers especially and I will also be happy to let you guys have Morton in drafts next year. You simply cant trust a guy that age. Yes even Verlander.

Comment

Arozarena detained in Mexico on Domestic charges.........
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I will admit that I have severe age bias against pitchers especially and I will also be happy to let you guys have Morton in drafts next year. You simply cant trust a guy that age. Yes even Verlander.
              As Teenwolf noted, you have to be attentive to the signs of age-related decline, and Father Time always wins out in the end, but I'll happily grab the lower priced older SP in an auction if his peripherals are like Morton's.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                Charlie Morton to the Braves on a 1 year, $15m deal.
                I bet Seitzer had some influence here. I also like the signing.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Rockies acquired RHP Robert Stephenson and OF Jameson Hannah from the Reds for RHP Jeff Hoffman and RHP Case Williams.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Rays released OF Hunter Renfroe.

Orioles released 1B/DH Renato Nunez.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      Arozarena detained in Mexico on Domestic charges.........
                      Unlikely that he gets suspended, now that the child's mother declined to press charges. Still possible he gets a short suspension, but the specifics sound more like no punishment is required.

I wonder if his movie deal is on or off.
                      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Unlikely that he gets suspended, now that the child's mother declined to press charges. Still possible he gets a short suspension, but the specifics sound more like no punishment is required.

I wonder if his movie deal is on or off.
                        Aroldis Chapman ended up getting a 30 game suspension in 2016 despite never getting charged with a crime for his domestic abuse case.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          Aroldis Chapman ended up getting a 30 game suspension in 2016 despite never getting charged with a crime for his domestic abuse case.
                          Sounds like he was physical with the ex's father, but not the ex herself. If there's no abuse of a partner, and its simply a tense argument over custody that was later resolved, the summary of facts leads me to believe he will not be suspended. This is just my take from what's known publicly.

As you mention, its still possible, but the amicable resolution is a great sign.

Comment

Sounds like he was physical with the ex's father, but not the ex herself. If there's no abuse of a partner, and its simply a tense argument over custody that was later resolved, the summary of facts leads me to believe he will not be suspended. This is just my take from what's known publicly.

As you mention, its still possible, but the amicable resolution is a great sign.
                            Call me a cynic, but I think it was more like--Did you see my post season? I'm gonna be uber rich very soon and if you drop the charges, I'll give you X amount and you'll be set for life. Ex wife say--Okie dokie

Like has happened so many other times in the past.
                            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                              Call me a cynic
                              You are a cynic.

Also I agree with the rest of what you said, so I guess I am too.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                                This is very different. It's attempted kidnapping of his son. It appears that the boy's mother has custody under Mexican law. The violence is secondary.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                                X